1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alfie Doughty

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, Sep 6, 2020.

Discuss Alfie Doughty in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Looks a pler.

Pacey with a good end product

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic will go back in with an improved £400,000 plus add-ons bid for Charlton star Alfie Doughty.

The Scottish champions, however, won’t be held to ransom and are prepared to land him on a pre-contract, cut-price deal in January if they can’t agree a fee in this window.

Addicks boss Lee Bowyer confirmed yesterday they had already turned down an opening offer from Celtic for their 20-year-old midfielder.

The English League One side’s issue is that Doughty is out-of-contract in the summer and could move cross border for a knock-down price of just into six figures in training compensation, compared to what Charlton would receive if he went to another English club.

Bowyer said: “We did turn down an offer from Celtic.

“And they were at the game at the weekend, from what I understand.

But we’ve not heard anything since.

In an ideal world, and this is just me speaking on how I would advise Alfie, it would be for him to sign another deal and do another year – do a full season with us.

“He only came into the side at a stage later in last season. He did well. He gets himself into great positions – like when he went through against AFC Wimbledon and on Saturday – but it is his end product that he has to work on.

“If he stays with us for another season he will improve more, because he has improved lots since he has been with us.”

The problem Bowyer has is his own club is in turmoil and he doesn’t know if bids for his players will be taken out of his hands.

The club is currently in a power struggle between the current board and previous owners, while other interested parties have also been looking to buy the London outfit.

Bowyer was furious when he lost Joe Aribo in similar circumstances to Rangers last season and fears Doughty, who is keen on a move north, would get lost because he may not be ready to shine in a bigger environment.

The Charlton boss added: “I know what agents are like – they want to take them out. They think about what can be earned money-wise and not about the kid’s development – because he needs developing.

“So he should stay, sign and do a full season with us – improve more and then see what is on the table for him. Because if he goes somewhere now the likelihood is he ain’t really going to play.”

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Hope this is no another prospect/one for the future ?

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Like Frimpong

Hopefully

The Prof likes this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * this waiting it out or playing the pre contract game..

Get him in now as long as it's no taking the *..

This is what you were saying earlier @Seán Mac D

6. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If we * around with this arguing over a few hundred thousand then heads need to * roll, no we aint got the mental millions prem club have, however we are in a very healthy financial position and should be able to easily afford the asking price of this lad.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

What are they asking for, £750k?

If we're prepared to roll the dice and see if we can sign him on a pre-contract in January to avoid that fee then we obviously don't rate him that highly.

We'd still be paying an academy fee due to his age even if he was signed in 12 months time.

8. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If we really want him then he should be here now, no * about till January. This is too important a season to be arguing over a few hundred grand.

9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    400k seems awfully low for him, I get we're testing the waters but if Bakker is a no go I dont really want us fannying about.

I think they rejected 2.5 million in January, so i'd imagine they would at least want 1 - 1.5 million the now, so going in with 400k is just typical celtic, even with add-ons.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  10. Jeremie Frimpong

*sigh* Typical Celtic. Pathetic.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Couldn't tell you their price but it was interesting that they never said the bid was way under or anything like that....so I don't think it will take much more than a mill, if that..

That left side needs surgery now. 2 in hopefully and Taylor out and we're laughing..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    To be honest, if we get this boy for less than a million pound we would be doing well. Seems like he played a fair few games in the championship last season and he has bags of pace. That’s probably the one thing that lets Taylor down. He has no pace to beat people. Can see McGregor and Ntcham putting balls in behind and you’re begging for someone with that little bit of extra speed to beat the opposition to it. Just doesn’t happen with wee Taylor. At less than a million? Relatively low risk, potential is huge, only 20. Definitely seems a good deal for me but would like another in.

13. Foley1888

Would definitely take him, he looks like a player with good pace, work rate and is adding end product to his game. The fact he can play anywhere on the left also is a bonus and could make him an ideal left wing back.

If he can be signed for a sensible fee then we should do what we can to get him in now instead of messing around and potentially losing him to someone else.

14. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    This “we’ll get him in January” * can * right off. Never want us to do that with a player again cos if we’re in for a good player, some team is also gonna want them too and not * about waiting to save a few quid

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just get him signed.

The position needs addressed asap. If we rate him enough to bid for him, then just go and pay the money.

16. Gerry1972 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Just scored for Charlton.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Watching this just wants me to get him in..

Left side could do with it..

Pay the money..

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Getting rave reviews for his performance today.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  19. Jeremie Frimpong

170020F7-290E-42BE-823C-73668AF041F0.gif

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Just watched the highlights on quest and he looks class..

Lovely run and finish off the right wing and involved in a couple of other chances..

Rapid. Can finish. Versatile across a few position's..

Really want us to get him in. Hopefully second bid goes in soon and we don’t * about as someone else will sign this boy..

Gyp Rosetti and Hammy89 like this.