1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron Harper..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by McChiellini.., Apr 25, 2019.

Discuss Cameron Harper.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I remember that cup final and he outshone all the others in our team, Dembele, OkoFlex etc.

Hope he does get a run out as does Dembele, we should know when to use him.

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What position does he play?

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He's a striker from what I remember, but did come deep as well, full of running.

4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Thanks. So he is challenging for 5th choice now with Jake A.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT WASN'T just Cameron Harper's performances in training with the first team that convinced Neil Lennon to include the 18-year-old in the squad for Celtic's recent game against Dundee United at Tannadice.

The young winger's attitude and work ethic have helped him take a significant stride forward in his career and he's convinced that approach will help him continue his progression.

The young American has been living in Scotland for two years now after joining the Celtic Academy. Fittingly, it was Tommy Burns' son Jonny who set Harper off on his path to Celtic after spotting him training with the USA Under-16s squad in Florida back in 2017.

Harper moved across the Atlantic as a 16-year-old in the summer of 2018 to sign for the Celtic Academy after impressing the coaches during his two trials. He made good progress in his first season in the reserves and had even been called up to train with the first team on a few occasions last season.

When the coronavirus crisis brought football to an abrupt halt earlier this year, Harper returned home to California to be with his family. He was understandably disappointed at not being able to do what he loved. However, he put the time in lockdown to good use and has been rewarded for his dedication.

“I went straight back home to the US just before lockdown fully kicked in," said Harper in an exclusive interview with this week’s Celtic View. “I'm from a place called Costa Mesa, which is in between San Diego and Los Angeles.

"Not being able to play football was frustrating, but it was good to be with the family for a few months.

"I spent my time working hard and training every day. I worked with a personal trainer every morning and we worked on cardio and power-related stuff like sprints. Later in the afternoon I'd head out with my Dad and do some work with the ball.

“I also played some football with some friends and former team-mates some afternoons so I was able to get keep my sharpness up on the ball.

"I had so much free time at night so I used that to do strength work to try and bulk up a little. I did upper body and lower body stuff, but I didn't have a full gym at my home so it was more bodyweight stuff and using the medicine ball.

“I've put on around three kilos of muscle and I've noticed that's helped me handle the challenges of training with the first team better.

“I came back to Scotland at the end of July,” he added. “I received a call to tell me I was coming back to train with the first team. I was a little bit nervous but I had a few days to get my head around it.

"I hadn't talked much with anyone in the first team before, so coming to train with players I didn't know made me a bit nervous. I felt like I hadn't earned their respect yet but I told myself all I could do was come in, work hard and try to impress the coaches.

Rydo1888* and RI Bhoy like this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Nowhere close to first team minute's?

He's been on the bench in our last 3 game's..

He's another who's massively rated and progressing really well as mentioned. Jumped from that hun final with the 17's where he shone and was excellent for the development side above..

Great wee player who can play 2 or 3 position's as well out wide and up top..

Tommy25 and RI Bhoy like this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Seems to have leapfrogged Dembele. Been in the last 3 squads, whereas Dembele has been absent from the last 4.

Wonder if the rumours about Karamoko wanting away are true.

8. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Hopefully the kid will get a chance to shine .

Rydo1888*, bagforlife and Tommy25 like this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'd imagine they are..

So much hype around his name and choosing the English squad over Scotland was a sure sign that he wouldn't be with us for long....as he'll be mixing with kid's at all their top club's telling him to come down..

Harper is a quality prospect. Fast. Skillful and can finish..

10. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Only seen Harper a few times but he's definitely been impressive. Looks like a grafter as well.

McChiellini.. and Tommy25 like this.
  11. RI Bhoy

I mean, I guess sure, yeah.....but there's a difference between being on the bench and maybe getting some playing time, especially as the strikers this year will attest to.

I'm hoping he gets some experience this season and breaks through next year...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Problem with Dembele I think is his size, he's so tiny that it's hard to see him playing professional football anywhere. Even if he goes to another team he won't be near getting a game. When Frimpong is clearly taller than you then you're in big trouble.

[​IMG]

People act like height doesn't matter in football but it is physical and theres very few players who are under 5ft 7 never mind well under it. If Dembele ends up good enough to play for Celtic he will probably be the only player in the world of that height who is.

freitassen likes this.
  13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Should have gave him growth hormones like Messi:fear:

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    We should have definitely done that. If Messi only ended up about 5ft 4 or 5 he'd have likely been no better than that Piatti who played for Valencia, who was good technically and a decent player but he was just that wee he was never really capable of being that good because he could never have played as a striker or a 10 and he would never be able to outrun someone down a wing. So you're game is just well reduced from what it could have been.

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

So you think the only thing that separates Messi and Piatti is their size?

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s a teenager that’s literally still growing but regardless, there are many players his size or smaller. He’s taller than Valbuena who’s played at the top level for years. He must be around about the same size as folk like Joe Allen or Sanchez. Three short players off the top of my head. He may (and probably will) end up 3 or 4 inches taller still in a year or two.

You talk about him as if he’s a midget just now - of course there’s other players who’ve made it at 5 foot 5 or 6.

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Impossible to know but I think it he was about 5ft 8 he would have definitely been a better player, he was a really skillful player who played well in the Spanish League for a long time even though he didnt have much pace and was miniscule - that had to hold him back a lot.

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Is he that tall though? I don't think he is even 5ft 4.

Hopefully he is still growing.

19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jesus *.

20. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Problem with dembele isn't his size it's his attitude. The guy thinks he's Messi and he's done * all.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk