1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Guy will forever go down as a Celtic Legend, captain, manager, started and ended the 9 in a row run, potential of the ten. Guys ingrained in to Celtic as much as Celtic is ingrained to Neil lennon.

That doesn't excuse him from absolutely abysmal decisions, * formations, * poor team selections and an inability to make a sub before the 78th minute in some games.

Guys a legend, but he has his faults.

However, he did not cause the Covid-19 pandemic.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I think every man and his dug has gave Lennon every bit of due credit as well. It's not a bad thing to not have wanted him to return full time as manager, but last season I think everyone agreed and praised him for his management after the new year, rightly so. Again though, that does not excuse him from criticism when he again * it up (not the first, likely wont be the last).

I've yet to see any personal insults lobbed at him from Celtic fans as well, some seem to think any negative towards him as a manager is a personal attack on the lad. It is not.
    We can be critical of the man as a manager!

3. freitassen

That is exactly what * me off. This self congratulatory tone everytime we beat a tin pot barely professional SPFL team that altogether costs less than Ntcham.

Peej likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    * forbid a manager says we had a good performance after a win ffs. :55:

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    But it wasn't a good performance. The first half was dreadful, same as the midweek game to a T.
    Second half once the changes finally got made, it got better, but it wasn't a good performance.

Dan Breen likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We had goals in each half, were dominant on the ball, didn't make many mistakes and aye, the first half wasn't pretty but he's entitled to say it was 'good' after a 3-0 win. Stupid thing for folk to claim they're * off about.

All three were good goals too, with some nice play in the build up. So I'd agree with the manager on this occasion.

7. Bonobhoy

Same ones that ousted Strachan back in the day, probably.

Lenny deserved criticism but like many the abuse he got was a disgrace.

moravcik1888 and Sean Daleer like this.
  8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Know what * me off? Spoiled brats that know nothing but domestic success at this club to the point where it doesn't even matter to them anymore.

9. murphy88

The performance against Motherwell was good, after the team that should have started the game were brought on. Tell you what though, I expected more of a reaction first half after the embarrassing exit in Europe.

Hammy89 and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with most of this. But winning the League Cup and Scottish Cup doesn’t outweigh getting papped out of the Champions League two year on the trot by Romanians and Hungarians.

On both occasions the managers team selection and tactics were the primary reason we lost, throwing away multi millions in revenue each time.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

For me our priorities are always:

1. League
    2. Champions League qualification
    3. Scottish Cup
    4. League Cup
    5. Europa Group qualification, if we've dropped down

I never claimed that 3 or 4 outweighed failing to do 2; simply that some people struggle to balance their judgement.

Lennon has to cop the lion's share of blame for the Ferencvaros defeat, the team selections were all wrong and the delay to change it when the game was at our mercy was mind-blowing but some people have reacted hysterically.

People talk about our run to the UEFA Cup Final in 2003 but rarely remember that we got dumped out of the Champions League qualifiers by Basel, at a time that we had the 5th highest wage budget in the UK. At 3-1 up from the first leg, MoN went with an unfamiliar 4-4-2 over in Switzerland and we ended up getting done.

Lennon needs to learn and improve from our failures and drop the stubbornness at times but it isn't as bad as some are making out.

If he does turn it around again and we bounce back to domestic and Europa success then many of the dissenting voices will disappear again and be absent in their praise....but will be back at the next bad result with the usual patter.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Would * adore us winning every game 3-0 tbh.

13. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Imagine if there was Twitter back then :90:

The_Bhoy, Rydo1888*, HoopyT and 4 others like this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Still, can't shake off the CL failure and it shouldnt be forgotten no matter what happens this season, in amongst the unparalleled celebrations that will surely come.

For me it's learning from his mistakes, two CL qualifications, plus Copenhagen shows a tactically naivety that is just unacceptable.. And zero learning from mistakes. The buck stops with Lenny and his coaching staff, if JK is earmarked as potential successor, then be prepared for more CL disappointment and mediocrity.

I love Lenny, I really do but for me he's never going to take us to the next level as a team.

It comes from the overall ambition of the club, the board view domestic dominance as the main priority and CL football as a bonus and isn't budgeted for. That's the difference we as fans covet CL football, domestic cups are great but we want to be a CL regular, we're miles away from that under Lenny.

Getting the 10 will be special, with Lenny leading us making it even more. I'm not disputing that and the season can still be a great one.

It's a Catch 22, in some ways albeit a good one.

It just feels after the 10 we need a whole new direction as a club.. Which will be difficult as we've just secured the 10...

I'll back him but his tenure is kinda panning out exactly as expected, in some ways.

15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    When we lose eddy, Ajer, ntcham and Christie this window I’m not so sure the 10 is such a certainty. So lennys actual management ability will be tested unlike any other season

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We won't lose them... All.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If teams come in and pay the money I don’t see why we won’t sell them. Ajer and Christie are definitely off, and eddys contract will be a worry financially for what we can get for him. And then ntcham has wanted away since last year. Genuinely think we could see them all gone with maybe eddy last for big money last minute.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

No chance mate.

19. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Where you seeing Christie & Ajer definitely off?

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If they all go then we're talking about £65m minimum coming into the club...our movement in the market is slow but we would have to bring in quality to replace them.

Like @JC Anton I cannot see all 4 being sold in the next month, doing so would be a huge risk.

Eddie is our most productive player and Christie is our 2nd most. Punt them and you have 50 goals and 30+ assists to replace.

StPauli1916, JC Anton and The_Bhoy like this.