1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Fair Enough mate!
    Each to our own, not for me though! Weekends the only game hes looked interested. He expects to leave this window, so the sooner we get rid and look for some more cover the better.

2. davidhannah

We can confidently play three defenders at the back now in games with Duffy slotting in.

All we need now is a left back/winger that can cross a ball in like Andy Robertson to replace Boli and the team will be perfectly balanced. We'll be cooking with gas.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If only they were easy to find haha.

4. Mr Hoopy

Agree re needing another left back. I also think we need another CB. Can see Ajer going which will only leave us with Shane, Jullien and Bitton - not ideal when this will likely be the hardest league to win over the past 9 seasons.

5. murphy88

Elhamed could play as the right sided centre half if need be. 100% we need a new left back/left wing back.

Mr Hoopy likes this.
  6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

If he doesn’t leave you’ll still get 100% out him.

Tommy25 likes this.
  7. Mr Hoopy

Good point maybe Elhamed, Shane and Julien in a bk 3...

8. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Missed a point blank header, sell him :fear:

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Shane Duffy sets his sight on making history at Celtic after finally completing his loan switch but Parkhead power brokers are already plotting a way to securing the centre half beyond their 10 In A Row bid.

The Republic of Ireland international yesterday sealed his season long switch to the Scottish champs in a big money move that saw Celts stump up £2m up front for his services while picking up half the tab on his £45,000 per week pay packet

Hoops chiefs are convinced the big defender will be a smash hit at Parkhead and will look to fund a permanent deal next summer.

Duffy is under contract at Brighton until 2023 but was determined to come to Scotland despite interest from several clubs in England – including West Ham and West Brom – who were willing to meet the £10m asking price.

The 28-year-old will assess his options again at the end of the term but Celtic are hoping to be at the front of the queue.

Duffy insisted his immediate focus is on helping the Hoops secure a record title haul this season after jumping at the chance to join his boyhood heroes.

He said: “Obviously, I don’t need a reason to go to Celtic but if there is ever a reason it’s this year to make history.

It’s something I have been following anyway, hoping they would get the title every year so now to get the chance to be a part of it is a huge honour but there is a lot of hard work to do to get that 10-in-a-row.

“I know the fans are optimistic and I am too so we are going to do the hard work and hopefully the reward is at the end.

“I’m delighted, obviously. It’s taken a little while to get it done but I’m over the moon. It’s something I’ve always dreamed of doing and to get the chance and the club to want me is a special moment for me and I’m really excited to get up there and get going.

Hopefully I can bring success to the club.

“It’s been a long time coming.”

Duffy’s former Blackburn boss Gary Bowyer insisted the Celtic switch was a match made in heaven and he wouldn’t be surprised to see the stopper remaining in Scotland in the long term.

He said: “I don’t know what’s been agreed, but if this year proves to be successful, he may want to stay beyond the loan deal and maybe stay the rest of his career, the sort of fan he is.”

Duffy’s arrival has cast doubt on the future of Hoops defender Kristoffer Ajer, with increased interest in the Norway star, but Record Sport understands Celtic are in no hurry to cash in.

Ajer remains high up on the wishlist of AC Milan and Leicester City but no firm bids have come in and the Hoops have warned they would be looking for up to £20m for the 22-year-old.

Boss Neil Lennon would rather keep the versatile centre back for the quest for 10 but he admitted he is thrilled to finally land Duffy after a long chase.

He said: “We are delighted to bring a player of Shane’s quality to Celtic.

He is an international player with so many great attributes. He is leader and he’s a warrior – someone with real ability and who will also give us that great physical presence

I know too he is a player who will add great personality to the dressing room. This is a real coup for the club. “From the off, Shane wanted to come to Celtic and we are delighted we have been able to fend off English Premier League interest.

“We are delighted with Shane’s decision to come and I am delighted with the business which Nick Hammond and the board have done, not only in bringing Shane to Celtic, but throughout the window.

“We can’t wait to get Shane involved in the squad as we look to the many challenges ahead.”

Rydo1888*, Tommy25 and cidermaster like this.
  10. JamesM09

* been a Celtic player for less than 24 hours, yet to enter the * country never mind the training ground and he's already completely lost form and missing sitters.

Exactly what I expected to happen to be honest.

Gully Sands, PiotreQ and Slaw like this.
  11. PiotreQ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    I agree. Absolutely shocking decision. Should pass to someone in space and in a better position.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I actually thought both he and Ntcham were two of the better performers against Ferencvaros tbh. Ironically.

Dan Breen and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Travers is unreal, was lot better than ramsdale this time last year and ramsdale got the nod, we should have bought him then

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Tommy25 and MickeyyMack like this.
  14. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    I see more from Ntcham, but then he has played a whole season since telling French media he wanted out! So he has proved that he will still try his heart out.
    I mean might be the same for Ajer, hopefully!
    But he has been nowhere near the standard that he can be at the back.
    If he stays at we play CJ, Duffy & Ajer in a back 3.. that could be something else.

Im not convinced yet though! (I like being proved wrong)

15. RI Bhoy

In my mind, i read all your posts in Cillian Murphys voice!! Been meaning to tell you this for a few years now lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    That's * awful... and Blasphemous butchering that song...

Gully Sands likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You just can’t teach that level of songwriting, imo.

19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    We did it with Charlie Mulgrew:56:

Dan Breen likes this.
  20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    They also shortened his hometowns name for some reason. Weird.

:lenny2:

Gully Sands and Officer Doofy like this.