1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He does have an important role to play, certain games he will be needed. But we just are not dynamic with him right now

2. Dubliner1

On current form he does NOT deserve a starting place. For what ever reason he seems to have lost 2 yrds from last season. Surely he knows this himself and the coaching staff must see it. Age catches up with everyone. That's all I can put it down to.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sad to say but I do agree based on what I have seen so far this season. Time maybe over the course of the season to start the process of Callum McGregor moving into that role.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Foley1888

There was one incident in Sunday’s game I remember where there was a loose ball near him and it was easily his but he took that long to get there the Motherwell player got it when he had no right too. It really highlighted just how short Brown is at the moment.

It’s not easy when the guy it’s happening to is a legend and your captain like Brown is but his main attributes through out his career have been his tenacity, drive and hunger to win, so when your legs won’t get you to where you need to be, it makes it difficult for these qualities to be displayed to the benefit of the team.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    FranceCelt likes this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye i remember it as well. Was an 80/20 ball in Broony's favour but the Motherwell player toe punted up ot booted it nowhere..

It's easy to see..

Gyp Rosetti and Valhalla like this.
  6. Jeremie Frimpong

I think that he is more or less finished now. There's no shame in that.

I hope that he is used sparingly this season, and allowed to finish his career with dignity, but I won't hold my breath.

Connell should be starting ahead of him, in my opinion. Both he and Soro have shown promise.

SuperZidane likes this.
  7. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    His lack of movement when we have the ball is also a huge issue, he rarely makes angles with his back to goal to get a pass, instead he will come back and get the ball instead, there is always huge gaps where we never pass the ball into as he is not there to get it. One incident at the weekend Cham had three players around him and Brown was standing watching not trying to make an angle for a pass. His tenacity and fight always made up for this but sadly that is also disappearing and he is getting turned and skipped past constantly now. Reminds me of Lamber towards end of MoNs era.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Take another look at the build up to Ajeti's winner against Dundee Utd.

Blochairnbhoy and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agree, we need to start introducing both against SPL dross.

10. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I just have this gut feeling that Lennon cannot see his decline.

11. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    brown is effectively a 2nd manager in that team and he's not the type of personality that wil surrender his spot on current form. (look at our signing of soro who is yet to get a minute and the complete aversion to play a midfield where cal would prosper at 6)
    .A complete disaster in terms of results is needed for lennon to face the reality of the ineffective brown. hopefully that won't occur and we'll continue to be as good as 10 men on the ball sadly. sad reality but an injury is the only thing correcting whats wrong in our midfield.
    now we have turnbull and assuming ntcham is kept browns presence is only further damning.

12. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    browns ineffective presence is a large reason it took us 80+ minutes to score vs Dundee United. and that was one of browns better games this season.

it was a smaller example of brown rescuing us vs Hamilton last December. Taking away from the fact his ineffective presence largely lead us to needing a 90th minute winner vs hamilton at home

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's pretty circular, mate. If someone asserts that Brown is ineffective because x, and then I give an extremely recent and important counterexample to x, it doesn't really add anything to say that it was only necessary because of "his ineffective presence". All that does is restate the original opinion without adding any other evidence.

All I'm asking for here is patience. I'm not saying this isn't a season too far for Brown, it might be; I'm only saying it's too early to tell.. He had a poor start last year and went on to have a decent season.

All I'm asking for here is proportion: he's far from the only one that hasn't had a good start.

All I'm asking for here is realistic expectations. People judge him by the ridiculously high standards he himself set (which some of his critics took for granted even then). He used to do the job of 2 and was able to drive us forward with his pace and energy when others were struggling. I think it's clear he can't do that anymore. He couldn't do that last year either; but he was still a good player for us and an important player for us. Maybe he can do that again.

Let's just wait and see rather than writing him off before we actually have to.

Maestro 08 and Craiglang like this.
  14. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I view him in the same way as I do Larsson in terms of what they have given and done for the club.

He should be used sparingly this season and allow others to step up.

If he turns out to be a great manager or coach, he could stumble onto another layer of greatness as I doubt he'd ever leave us.

It is time to have that discussion about what life is like without a Scott Brown playing football at the club. It's sad but I hope he hangs his boots up at the end of the ten (and another domestic treble) and steps straight into a coaching role that we most definitely should have waiting for him.

15. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    the bottom line is we are starting at a disadvantage with him. he doesn't provide enough going forward anymore and hasn't done for years.
    Last year was a season too far aswell for how many games he played. this year is just taking the * when we've the midfield options we do now turnbull is in and we play a midfield 2
    expecting a 35 year old to buck the trend of his current performances is extremely hopeful to say the least. hes in a natural decline. he is not going to get better after consistently declining for 2 years.
    in comparison to other players that have started slow. we can expect them to give us more and are worth persisting with. but with a player in decline like brown its fair to assume its not a slow start and that's where his ability is now at 35.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont know if his position allows him to go forward.
    Ahead of him he has Mcgregor, Forrest, Christie, Edouard, Mo and sometimes even our full backs. Someone needs to act as the midfield anchor or cover incase of a counter/break.
    Personally, iv never felt as if Brown has been the best technically. I think if Mccarthy was to come in he would offer more quality on the ball.

17. Mince.Charming

So that's him finished again, for the 5th season in a row.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Are you sure that’s all you’re asking for?

Valhalla likes this.
  19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :56:

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    More than ever before I think hes on the decline tbh. Which is understandable as you cant compare people saying he was finished at 31 to where he is now at 36 or whatever.

I dont think hes totally finished and will have a role to play this season. But there are younger, fresher legs behind him who deserve a chance.

jocksteinupper likes this.