1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    My bigggest concern is his stubborness. If he doesnt change formation for motherwell we should show him the door. Our gameplan is obviously severely flawed

2. Popes 11 Guest

Id throw Luca Connell in the first team subs.

Sgt Neppers* and paulo123 like this.
  3. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
  4. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Formation is the least of his worries after that match and comment.

His only words to the players pre-match should be “Get out there and show the masses we’re fighting together and on point”

Anything less visible on the park then yes, I concur.

seanm likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

So I can't try put the Copenhagen tie into perspective in that we played well enough and created enough that we could've had a 2-legged tie over after 45 mins away from home had Édouard had taken the chances that came his way....but you can minimise Lennon's achievements of winning the League Cup or beating Lazio because we might not have done if we didn't have the Goalkeeper that he signed and played? That's duplicitous.

Players either share some responsibility and accountability for our performances/results or they don't. You can't flip between both whenever it suits your argument.

Lennon 100% got it wrong on Wednesday and I'm not afraid to say that but there's a portion of our support that will not give him credit for anything at all or do so begrudgingly. That's not being objective, you can constructively criticise the things he has done/is doing wrong, while simultaneously recognising that it's not all bad and there are some positives in his tenure.

Deila got 2 wins in the Europa Group that year. Lennon had 4 wins and a draw from 5 games before going into the dead rubber v Cluj, in which we rightly played our fringe players. The draw v Rennes only came because we were denied a stonewall penalty when Christie was tipped up in the box as well.

Re dominating the huns, it was enjoyable to skelp them about the place but they have undeniably improved since then. If teams like Porto, Feyenoord, Young Boys, Villarreal, SpartaK Moscow etc. didn't "dominate" them in their Europa games in the last few years, is there any shame in us not doing so?

Dominating possession and play will always come 2nd to getting results and Lennon has won the majority of games v them since his return. Tommy Burns Celtic team dominated the Huns on the park more or less every time we played but failed to always turn that into a victory on the day and more importantly into trophies.

I'd be happy to allow them the lion's share of possession every time we play if we done the damage when it mattered, like the 2-0 victory at Ibrox. I probably took more pride in the performance and result that day than some of the skelpings under the rat. Every man played their part that day, including the subs to get us victory. Lennon subbed on Ntcham and Hayes when we were under the cosh and both then linked brilliantly to counter and seal the victory.

People will never talk about times like those that he got it right though.

6. James Gold Member Gold Member

Will he start Klimala at the weekend or try and prove a point ? Tbf Klimala is well within his rights to tell him to * off

seanm likes this.
  7. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    First time UEFA ever awarded 13 points for a victory. That's certainly something to cherish

SuperZidane likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That's it mate. :50:

9. MattD

A comfortable win against Motherwell doesn't mean a thing. I can see it now, a comfortable defeat with a simple change in formation and all is forgiven.

Aside from the fact that we've massively regressed as a club since Lennon took charge. There's no way Rangers should be sniffing at even a small chance of the title. The fact they are, and the fact we've given them the opportunity for everyone to talk about it, is a massive indictment on Lennon as a manager.

10. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    Hmmm I don't know with that one Celtic were having shaky performances just before Brendan jumped ship, I reckon if it was anyone else but Lenny it might have went into freefall, he steadied the ship for sure but I do not think he is the man long term any longer, if he delivers the ten he should walk away with his head held high and his hero status with the fans intact.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk

littlekennie likes this.
  11. W33kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson moravcik lambert
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa, athenry, willie maley,let the people sing
    He should be giving karamoko more chances and Mikey Johnson when he gets fit.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk

12. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just throwing it out there...

Lenny comes in, cheap option, we don’t want him, backward step.

Lenny does well, steadies the ship and can stay.

Lenny wins trophies,brings on players, spends money and builds a strong squad.

March we will get ten in a row.

* result,bad decisions before and during a game,get him to *.

Simplistict but is that about right ? he’s done everything we could have wished to now, but for whatever reason it’s gone a bit Pete tong...I’ll give him to Christmas then maybe I’ll join the lynch mob.....

Sydneysider, scootz, merthyn and 2 others like this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You are fooling no *. You have practically been camped in this thread since you joined, slaughtering Neil Lennon at every opportunity, calling supporters of a Celtic legend a "cult" and only showing up after a defeat.

You even claimed once we should have been looking at someone like Mark * Warburton as manager before Lenny.

Must be about time for you to slither away until the next defeat.

Maybe I'm wrong and you will miraculously show up when we complete the quadruple treble but I somehow doubt it.

Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  14. wulliebad

Good to see old sniffer is still hunting them out.:57:

Sydneysider likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Lennon didn’t lose to AEK Athens.

Sydneysider likes this.
  16. stew37

He'll bring us the 10.

Mystic Penguin and Sydneysider like this.
  17. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

weve been sussed, but still managed to win for a couple of years

the forum knows most of our problems stem from playing only 1 striker! if we play 2 strikers domestically the teams in scotland wont be able frustrate us with their park the bus tactics (and neil plays none against ferencvaros i still cant get my head round that)

Who are the strikers in the development squad and are they any good ? in case eduardo aint back for sunday

got to start klimala if eddies not fit enough to start

18. SuperZidane

Rodgers mistake (ego?) in Europe was that he refused to be pragmatic and adapt when we played teams like PSG. He tried to play open football and we got punished badly. Many people on here may hate Rodgers (personally I blame PL as much) but he would not have subjected us to the tactical disasters we saw against Cluj and on Wednesday.
    Yep - Lennon can't live off the memories of a couple of decent European results from 8/9 years ago forever. Rodgers mistake in Europe was that he refused to be pragmatic and tried to play the same game as in the SPL and we got punished badly. It was his ego\stubbornness more than a tactical failing.
    Lennon just hasn't got the tactical ability - he picks the wrong team and is unable to alter tactics when things are going badly.

seanm likes this.
  19. celticfife

I can't believe that the same people who chastise Lennon for losing on Wednesday still think that it's alright to keep him on for the battle for the 10 and make no mistake it will be a battle. The often cited rebuke of 'well who do we get in' isn't a reason to stick with a man who has repeatedly refused to acknowledge and learn from his failures.

The club should always be on the lookout for the next up and coming coaches and managers no matter what is happening on the park, success isn't an excuse for complacency.

I struggle to comprehend how anyone can think that not competing at the top level in Europe will help us in the league, it seriously hinders the level of players we can bring it as well as forcing us to sell out best players so that we can continue to pay our overpaid and over inflated squad. Now not all of that is Lennon's fault but the fact that he continues to pick the same players week in, and week out is.

I seriously doubt that he'll change it in any significant way this weekend and we'll probably go out and hammer Motherwell but it's not good enough. Players like Soro, Connell, Dembele, Henderson should all be regularly getting game time, but they never do. Morrison and Hepburn have recently left for Germany and no wonder, looking a couple of years ahead and seeing reserve players never getting a game.

That's all without mentioning the fact the we play Bitton, a midfielder at centre back. Forrest, a winger who can't cross the ball. Ntcham as a 10 when he's clearly not and Christie as a striker when we've got two on the bench.

It's time for a change, of manager and the way we do things from the top down. I love Lennon as a club legend but that shouldn't cloud how anyone views him as our manager.

markybhoy1976 and seanm like this.
  20. SuperZidane

Rodgers mistake (ego?) in Europe was that he refused to be pragmatic and adapt when we played teams like PSG. He tried to play open football and we got punished badly. Many people on here may hate Rodgers (personally I blame PL as much) but he would not have subjected us to the tactical disasters we saw against Cluj and on Wednesday.
    That happened in Rodgers 3rd season. PL clearly didn't interfere when Rodgers first came as he knew he wouldn't wear it. It is obvious that the rift started when PL tried to low-ball Hibs on McGinn at the start of 2018/19 and it backfired. The atmosphere was toxic after that
    - and it was around Christmas that Rodgers made the comments - clearly PL had gone back to his old ways of getting involved in transfers.

I don't like the way Rodgers left but PL started the rot.

Lennon isn't stupid - he knows he was lucky to get the job second time - I doubt he deludes himself that there are a queue of clubs who would want to hire him (unlike Rodgers). He should have learned that lesson when he left in 2013.

PL knew what he was getting when he brought Lennon back - someone much cheaper than Rodgers who wouldn't rock the boat. I think yesterday's complete U turn by Lennon shows that.

AwesomeCaz and Pearse67* like this.