1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I didn't mean you were in the know. However you then come out with he is a yes man for the board so clearly you think you know something the rest of us don't.

The very definition of claiming to be ITK

seanm likes this.
  2. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Was just waiting for Barca..

Lost 6-1 against Barca under Lennon as well mind. However, the one that always sticks in my
    memory is that 3-0 loss to AC Milan at Celtic Park. One of the worst AC Milan team possibly in their history who came and played us off the park. We were so so bad that night.

This idea that Lennon was/is some sort of European football genius is just not correct, for me.

Valhalla likes this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

@Pearse67*

By your logic, Rodgers was a yes man to the board. He literally claimed in an interview not to know one or two players (at least) who were signed for us.

4. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    This is true. But I still think in hindsight Rodgers done well in consecutive seasons in getting there, playing expressive football on the way (City, Anderlecht) but of course maybe it was too expressive at times, especially in the games you allude to. But still, Celtic in Europe under Rodgers played a lot more dynamic football than under Lenny.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has told his want-away players to settle down and focus on securing 10 titles in a row.

The Parkhead boss threatened to rid the club of uncommitted players after they were knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers by Ferencvaros on Wednesday to leave the Scottish champions looking for Europa League qualification.

Kristoffer Ajer and Olivier Ntcham's representatives have asked Celtic for valuations of the two players ahead of potential moves and following the 2-1 home defeat to Ferencvaros an angry Lennon revealed some of his squad had been "making waves to leave

Asked if he had any regrets about making his feelings known publicly, Lennon, whose side celebrated their ninth successive Premiership title win last season when the campaign was ended early due to the coronavirus crisis, replied, "not really" and then called for the players to refocus

Speaking at a press conference on Friday, he said: "I don't want to elaborate on it. We want them all here.

We have a big year ahead of us, this is a difficult time of the year as you know, people are unsettled.

We want them to settle down and do what's best for the club and that means winning the league and trying to make the best of what's left of the European campaign.

"I am not saying there is disharmony within the group but what I want is players who are with us and who really want be successful again this year.

"We suffered a blow. One of our objectives has gone but we have plenty of other objectives and we want them all here focused on them.

"We want them to do what they do best. They are great lads. I understand that sometimes there can be interest but this is a great club.

"I'm not saying there's been any agitation at all but sometimes you can lose a little bit of focus. You just want them to get back on it, and concentrate on the job that lies ahead.

"At the end of the day they are good players and once they realise what excitement and what we have in store this season, hopefully that will persuade them to knuckle down and really concentrate on the job at hand."

French striker Odsonne Edouard missed the Ferencvaros match with a thigh injury and will also sit out the Premiership match against Motherwell at Parkhead on Sunday.

Lennon said: "He won't be available for Sunday. I am pretty confident he will be fit for the Ross County game after the international break."

New signing David Turnbull, who arrived from Motherwell on Thursday, will be in the squad for the game against his former club.

6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    We were still routinely embarrassed in Europe. MON and WGS would be much better examples of what we are capable of. The could actually manage to beat teams who were technically better than us rather than sending us out like lambs to the slaughter

G_portillo likes this.
  7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    And like it wasn’t before

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Of course when yer Celtic manager the pressure is always there, but i think the events of the last few days have only added to that pressure, the game was key to our momentum and keeping the feel good factor going.

Managers live and die by results, Lenny needs results and also performances, startin on Sunday.

G_portillo likes this.
  9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    That interview smacks of a dressing down by Lawell for his tantrum on Wednesday.

He better get his act together, along with his tactics. Asap

Rydo1888*, bhoy81 and Noskeil like this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Champions League qualifier exits to Cluj and Ferencvaros are poor there's no doubt about it but if you're using the cups also as a "key yardstick" then I don't know how much more he can do, he's won every one available since he returned and he was 2 games away from completing us another Treble last year.

Let's not pretend that Europe has all been terrible since he returned, it's not a Deila mk II effort. Other than Cluj we were smashing teams in the qualifiers with some fantastic performances, we were the first Scottish team to win a European Group in history last season, we beat a team that was in the running for the Serie A, home and away, we comfortably beat a decent Rennes side with some top young prospects.

If Eddie had his shooting boots on we would have been out of sight in the Copenhagen tie, we genuinely could have been 3 or 4 to nil at half-time but for some uncharacteristic poor finishing. Ntcham then has a brainfart and we lose a goal and then in the 2nd tie Jozo sold the jersey with some car crash passing.

I'm all for criticising Lennon on the things he gets wrong and he got it horrifically wrong on Wednesday but by your own metrics of winning cups (won them all) and in Europe (an average season, some excellent, some poor) he isn't doing as bad as you're making out.

The huns have a better calibre of player than they did in the Rodgers days when we were playing Murty and Pedro teams, let's be serious now. Their net spend last season was greater than ours.

They're now spending £7m, £4m, £3.5m on players when Rodgers was playing against a team of Bosmans like Krancjar, Senderos and Windass from Accrington Stanley. At least take those factors into play when drawing comparisons.

When it has mattered, we have beaten them under Lennon - to win the League in 2018/19 and to win the League Cup Final in 19/20.

The 2-0 job at Ibrox was tactically brilliant, we allowed them to come at us and leave gaps/make mistakes and we exploited them on 2 occasions to win the game. We soaked up everything they had to throw at us defensively that day, which was refreshing to see. We pressed them selectively but didn't go kamikaze. It was a mature performance, that we got the job done and got the 3 points.

The uncomfortable truth is that we won't always dominate them in every game, even the rat drew against Murty's team of cast-offs at Parkhead when we were at the peak of our powers and he was a joke figure.

11. Pearse67*

Rodgers left, he said himself about not being able To bring in players.
    Lennon wouldnt leave in a million years because his stock is so low, he wouldnt get another gig like us the rest of his career, i know that, he knows that.

Its not Neil Lennon fc, its Celtic fc, i want the best for my club, what we have now sadly isnt the best.

It isnt just down to Lennon, but he is a part of the problem.

Ciaran_67, freitassen and seanm like this.
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

This supposed "dressing down" of Lennon by Lawwell is an embarrassing thing to say. Like Neil is some wee kid getting into trouble for speaking his mind (rightly or wrongly).

Neil Lennon is capable of independent thought. He let emotion get the better of him the other night and he attempted to rectify it in his press conference today. Simple as that.

This * about a man who has been through what he has been through to manage and play for this club, somehow being some mousey wallflower who does what he is told by his masters is incredibly insulting.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Brilliant post.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    His club Southampton. The reports are he knocked us back and wanted to stay down south.

15. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    100% factual!! That's why it won't go down well with some. It's not enough for some to just call for his head but to slaughter him and trying to compare and undermine his previous achievements is just bullshit and quite frankly i'm now beginning to wonder if it's just a lack of intelligence showing through their rage!!!

Gyp Rosetti and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    C’mon he made a * of it on Wednesday everyone could see it coming, the biggest mistake was not putting a striker on until they were ahead. Yes Lennon deserves praise for achievements but he also gets it horribly wrong at times as we have seen.

17. TheHappyLoss

Had a wobble the other night but have calmed down and I’m still behind him. He’s succeeded way more than he’s * up. Still got faith and he’s one of us. Think he’s maybe over thought it at times and tried to be clever, just do it the way we do best

Fully87 likes this.
  18. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Lennon clearly has his favourites.

He didn't have the bottle to drop christie for ntcham and Klimala and the fans have to suffer because of that.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Home form is always essential. Both MON and WGS had great records at CP. Lennon made us hard to beat again at home when he took charge in his first spell.
    All of those teams had an element of power and physicality through the core and offered a threat from set pieces, something which we are missing now. We simply cannot bully teams. Julien seems to offer something at least in the opposition box, but nobody else.

Gabriel likes this.
  20. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Gyp, I've already said I think his time is probably up for me but that's not what I'm saying here mate. Same as his first tenure actually. Wanted him away then too for his and our sake. I don't think the rat got it so tight till he left and he * up royally too, a lot!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Gyp Rosetti likes this.