1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Craiglang Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    When Lennons annoyed he usually comes out fighting

It’s clear he still has the fire in his belly to be a successful year

Move these guys on - Ajer Ntcham - and get others in

Good , temporarily defeated, is better than evil triumphant. MLK

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    You don't wash yer dirty linnen in public, it's a basic of management, Lenny's man mangement skills look to be severely lacking.

Britwell bhoy likes this.
  3. horseshoe

Really? My bad, I thought they'd brought in the 5 sub rule for euro games. Still, we only used two anyway, so he still could have done it.

4. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yep not excusing it still no excuse for him to make a sub on the 75th minute after they had scored. Last night after we scored and had them on the ropes I stated it was time to change it up everyone could see it the worry is Lennon clearly didn’t

5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

dont know if he was fully conscious of what he was doing there but hes definately gave the press the players instead of offering himself

how the * he wins them back if they take the huff i dont know

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The players that want away will just down tools until they get their move, they hold all the power in a situation like this, i actually think Lenny's comments after the game are more damaging than the result itself.

Ewang83 and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  7. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Brown said he didnt have a clue that anyone wanted leave now they all know . Should never come out with that now the dressing room will be divided if it isnt already

8. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We didn’t get any injuries? :39:

9. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Ooft. That was another mess last night.

I like Lennon a lot, and he deserves a lot of credit for what he's done since his return. We good some good results away in Europe last season, we won at Ibrox after a few poor performances there, and blew away a lot of teams in the League. He's talked about as a great motivator by current and ex-players, and says himself he sees his strengths as a manager in the 'psychology' of it. He deserves a lot of credit for modernising his approach to management since he returned, too.

Despite all of that there is a worrying trend in games like this. Cluj, Copenhagen, Rangers and now Ferencvaros have now all rocked up to Celtic Park and won by virtue of being well-organised and waiting for us to shoot ourselves in the foot. Lennon's approach to these types of games appears to amount to rolling up our sleeves, showing some endeavour and doing everything at a breakneck speed. In a lot of our games, particularly at home, that will work well and the individual quality we have will overwhelm a lot of the teams we play. The games against Hamilton and Reykjavik highlight that pretty well.

We need to be smarter in these games. We afford opponents way too much space in midfield and are vulnerable to long, straight balls from back to front - pretty basic stuff that we seem to struggle with, and it seems to be because of Lennons *-for-leather, gung-ho, all-guns-blazing, kitchen-sink chaotic style of football. There is no real structure to the attack, and too many players have freedom to move forward and abandon their defensive positions, which too often means we don't have people in the right places to pick up on second balls and keep the pressure on.

Dreadful result, but it's not the time to do anything drastic like changing managers. At the very least, we know Lennon can handle the pressure (though his post-match interview was a bit worrying), but maybe at the end of the season - whether we win the title or not - it's time for a fresh start and a bit of a rebuild. But for now, we need to continue to back Lennon and trust that he'll get us back on track.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  10. Sgt Neppers*

Never a fan of returning to something for a second time. That applies to most things in life. There were reasons for the split first time around. And neither party has altered their ways since the first time.

Time for new ideas, new thoughts. Clean sheet for everyone.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  11. john2061

Lennon has had dreadful results from his two periods as manager and those games Celtic were the favourites to win.
    Look at last year when we had 10 million of players for the defence on the bench and this year we had 8 million of forwards on the bench and lost both
    I'm afraid it's not good enough .

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  12. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

we were left in the lurch it wasnt an ordinary choice

jocksteinupper likes this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Which is incredible considering its arguably been his greatest asset.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hes shown very little fire of late.

On the touchline at least.

Twisty likes this.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Was there not some crticisim when he was at Hibs, or am i getting mixed up here with something else ?

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Think he had some blows. But in his time here and as a manager in general id say his motivational and man management skills are his biggest asset.

Last night completely threw me.

As I said at the time his ramblings post match were that of someone who knew they'd * it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    The Prof likes this.
  17. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    can only hope the only silver lining in this, is that he realises his favourites aren't repaying him with performances, and he improves dramatically as a coach over night.

18. CountyDownFaithful

Says he wants players who want to be here.

Klimala moved country and learned a new language in order to play for us. he came back in the shape of his life after lockdown and has scored 4 goals across preseason and domestic games.

And he still can’t get a game when Edouard is out and Ajeti isn’t fully fit.

Lennon lost the plot last night. He’s contradicted himself with his team choice and blamed the players after initially saying he would take responsibility.

19. Sgt Neppers*

True. But a thorough search should have been taken in the months after Lennons temporary appointment and with a view to getting a new management team for that summer.

Pete struggled with Rodgers ego and reputation and didn't want the same happening again so went for the easy choice. A cheaper choice.

20. Sgt Neppers*

He doesn't have the knowledge to implement a big change of tactics or system to navigate whatever the opposition are doing.

Cluj, Copenhagen, 2 most recent Huns games and Ferencavaros. Despite 4 teams being of lesser quality than ours, they are all set up and coached correctly.

W33kev and John Bhoy79 like this.