1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Unacceptable. First thread in years

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Daver, Aug 26, 2020.

Discuss Unacceptable. First thread in years in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    nobody gives a * what season he had at norwhich mate, he was * at us. Its irrelevant even arguing the point, he was a flop. nobody saying they were * players overall, again an irrelevance.

The bottom line is, we can argue back and forward all day, but are you saying you are happy with the job Lawell has done in his time in his role?
    Are you telling me you think he is doing a good job and do you trust him to make the decisions needed to get us to the CL next season?

2. DonnyCelt

How many of us reckon next season we'll still go into the first qualifier with Bitton as a CB?

Morcombe likes this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Then don't try to pull me up for calling him a decent player when I said folk were excited about his signing. :56:

I said it was a redundant conversation several posts ago.
    Yes.
    Yes and yes.

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Then I dont suppose you will complain if we find ourselves back here next season.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Trusting someone ≠ blind faith.

6. Foley1888

One of the main problems for me is as a football club we seem so disjointed.

Any team that is successful is built from the head coach/manager. Their main role is to decide the playing style and tactics the team should adopt. So they have to be the first one to essentially just like a business set the vision for how the team will play.

This then dictates who his coaching staff are that support him and the type of players our scouts and recruitment staff should be targeting. As any new signing, whether it’s a first team proven or prospect needs to fit in that mould/style of play.

Then the money man CEO/Directors come in and set the budget they have to spend on players and wages. Beyond that they should have very limited involvement in the football side of the club. If the manager or head coach/recruitment team are operating within the budget they should not be concerned.

Anything about the wider commercial operations, sponsorship,
    Merchandise, ticketing, financial management etc is where your CEO or MD should concern themselves.

Look at the current success stories out there Liverpool, Leeds, Leipzig, Salzburg, Juventus, Barcelona (under Pep). They all have that model where there head coach is someone whether it’s Klopp, Bielsa, Nagelsmann, Rose preciously now Marsch, Allegri (when they were at their best or Conte before him) and Pep at Barca, they set the tone for how the club would play and the style and players were recruited that fit their style.

Where as we currently have this all wrong much like the Spurs recently, Man Utd, Barca recently, and others. Our club starts with the CEO who then has his hands in everything.

We brought in a head of scouting/ transfers which it is hard to say has been their impact but the players brought in so far have mainly failed to be first team players and a number of them seem to be targets from a while ago.

Then we have a manager/ probably more like a head coach being honest who it increasingly sounds like, we don’t know if it is him or the assistant that sets our style/ approach to football. How can we possibly be set up for success in a world like that? It reeks of the same issues as the Ronny and John Collins make up where you have two different characters.

I honestly couldn’t tell you what Lenny’s footballing vision for Celtic is at the moment. We play better 3-5-2 but start every game 4-2-3-1, we look better when we press with intensity and do so high in the opposition half but we more often than not start games slow and drop off. He doesn’t seem to trust half the squad to play in the team so players clearly don’t fit whatever style we are trying to play.

When you take all the above into account it’s no wonder we are failing against poor opposition in Europe. If a team is somewhat organised and have a bit of belief, half our team look lost as to what they are meant to be doing. There is a lack of leadership and character to get the job done. There is minimal intensity to our play and for me a lack of hunger amongst the team, something that normally new signings or players coming through to challenge the starting 11 brings.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    joemc likes this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    okay then, so what must happen for you to look at Lawwell and conclude that he is a huge part of the problem?

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bit of a loaded question there.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Not at all. Especially given where we are at? Not a difficult question. If Lennon needs to be sacked, you dont think it brings his position into serious doubt?

10. jj81

Was gonna post last night but was too angry , we had a good amount of chances and if there a striker on we would have took a few of them , Taylor is frustrating, he gets the switch of play and alot of space and 1 man to beat instead he turns back and kills the attack , only a few get pass marks , moi was our best player imo and should have scored.

Frimpong should have started with klimala, done now but sick of this every year man

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think Lennon needs sacking. It is absolutely a loaded question.

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    So at what stage would you suggest that Lawwell needs to go? I dont understand why you cant/wont answer.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You’ve already made your mind up about Lawwell so it doesn’t really matter what I say to you. However, if we don’t win the league then I’d probably want him gone so we can have a fresh start.

14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Whatever happens at least we still have the disco lights ! :36:

15. GuttleGob

Your style of writing is.

Unique.

So well done for that.

Daver likes this.
  16. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon