1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepting mediocrity

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by straighttalker, Aug 26, 2020.

Discuss Accepting mediocrity in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

As long as we beat Hamilton who cares.

:56::fear:

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    We play Motherwell on Sunday though.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

And them too.

4. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Things wil never change as long as Desmond and Lawell run the show.

stubhoy07 likes this.
  5. Foley1888

This is a big part of the problem, I asked the question preseason in the 5 people responsible for 9 in a row thread why so many had picked out Lawwell, the answer was his assured running of the club. I have to disagree, lauding him for having £35m or so in the bank.

The reality is now that in the past 7 seasons we have only made the CL groups twice and on each occasion gone out to teams significantly inferior to us in terms of budget and resources. That totals a whopping £150m worth of revenue opportunity gone.

Now I know that is not all going to go straight in the coffers but when over the last decade we are also over £35m in profit on staff trading (before this window). Your £35m surplus at the bank suddenly doesn’t look such an achievement it should be at the very least double that.

Now it is unfair to pin all the blame there but some of it must surely rest there.

We claim to operate a model of signing talent to develop and move on yet have spent far more on guys who are obviously miles away from the required standard see Hendry, Bangura, Balde, Shved, Bayo, Boli, Taylor to name a selection. To be successful going forward our scouting needs to significantly improve.

That’s just part of the problem the main part is we fail to invest appropriately to replace the outgoing talent ahead of time (at least one window prior). When we did with Dembele & Eddy look at the result, again it is being over simplistic but needs doing, for how long did we fail to replace Lustig until after he left, get another option for a permanently injured Tierney, brought back Izzy until the window he was going and still haven’t got a quality option to replace Brown.

You then also need to progress with the model realising as you get bigger fees in, you can invest a bit more in your own signings, see every team out there who actually follow such a model Ajax, Salzburg, Leipzig (at a higher standard).

As a club we have created our own glass
    ceiling, yes the league we play in creates its own obstacles financially but when you point blank refuse to give yourself the best chance of picking up a £30m bonus each year, then you need to sort that out before worrying about the lack of finance from the league. Romania, Hungary and Denmark don’t benefit from big money in their leagues and Greece doesn’t seem to either, which is the competitions our Euro conquers come from over the past few seasons.

We are going backwards, before we got pummelled by teams from the big 5 leagues but at least took care of others, now we get out thought by anyone better than a part time mob.

Keep going in this direction and domestic football will be next, yes they Have got better and aren’t as much of a total basket case (at least on the park) but another reason the league and fixture were competitive for 2019 was due to our own regression. This isn’t always just personnel on the field but also in terms of our style of play.

Morcombe likes this.
  6. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    The ten had to be priority no. 1 but I fail to accept a club with Celtic’s budget can’t routinely qualify for the CL. We have to be one of the 32 richest clubs in Europe surely?

Awful recruitment and zero investment in training/youth facilities leads us to constant Euro failure. A great academy upto 18 that produces nothing for first team. Ronny Deila wanted proper training pitches near a decade ago - still nothing.
    We made Rodgers our highest paid manager ever then gave him nothing at Lennoxtown. The club does invest but in entirely the wrong areas and times.

We lose every year domestically on plastic pitches and blame the wee poor clubs? Biggest joke of all. Celtic can afford 40 pitches of different types to practice on. We’re really * in some ways.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Bad result last night no question, but we never lost a trophy, this could still be an incredible season, the huns and everyone else would love it if we were to self implode, important we don't give em the satisfaction of lettin that happen.

There has to be focus and calm heads are needed, the season has only just started, but clearly there are problems that need to be addressed.

Random Review likes this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I know, mate; but doesn't that suggest the problems are deeper than Lenny or even Lawwell?
    We need to look at our model, because football has changed again and it doesn't work anymore. It hasn't worked for about 7 years (the seeming exceptions are Rodgers' first 2 years, and IMO that's because we broke our model and backed him very well that first summer).

Take, for example, going into a crucial qualifier without a suitable striker due to Eddy's injury. We've seen that before... or with 1 fit CB...etc.

That's a direct result of how we do our business. We can't keep making our signings at the last minute to shave off a few hundred thousand from the transfer fee, because it is costing us tens of times more than that every year we get dumped out of the CL qualifiers.

That's just one example of what I mean.

We need to change our model or we will remain mediocre.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Standard, because it's happening every single season for the last 15 seasons or so.

The issues are getting worse, not better.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fully agree and every year this gets highlighted and folk try to dismiss it. But every year the same issues.

Lawwell deserves a lot of credit for the financial running of the club, but when it comes to the club's overall stature in world football, he is holding us back.
    Talk of hotels, megastores, museums keep ticking over, but bottom line is, they aren't here and the product on the park gets progressively worse.

Lennon is to blame for the current situation last night's but it's lawwell who has steered us in to this situation.
    Lennon really ought to be smarter than this to negate the shortfalls. We all saw it yesterday afternoon before the line up was even official. How blind can he be?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Morcombe likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I don’t disagree with anyone on that.

I’m just as * off as anyone.

Peej likes this.
  12. GuttleGob

After last nights shambles and Lennons post match comments. 10IAR is carved in wet sand.

13. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Most important season in our history and Lawell has screwed us over and Lennon has lost the plot with those after match comments. we're in trouble.

14. Foley1888

Completely agree with your points above.

The only one I would comment on is the financial management piece. I would say where he has done a competent job and fair play on sponsorship deals which have progressively improved over time. However as mentioned earlier the money we have in the bank has really come from player trading where arguably some of those players we could have got more for particularly Dembele.

If we had been qualifying for CL Groups even half of the time we would be in far better position.

The sooner the club sorts it’s self out the better.

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    See, I am at odds to be overly critical at this current disaster with Lawwell. He is to blame for the overall standard of the playing squad over years of tight purse strings, but then he has also brought us in Ely again and spent £5million on a striker and a keeper (and now Turnbull). For this season at least, things are reasonably acceptable on that front, but the overall squad depth has been an issue for years.

I'm a little against blaming Lawwell for risking the 10, when we are actively doing quite well in the transfer window, be it a little slowly.
    It's * like last night that is costing us currently, and that is Lennon.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It wasn't big Peter that refused to play a striker last night.