1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Unacceptable. First thread in years

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Daver, Aug 26, 2020.

Discuss Unacceptable. First thread in years in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Well you wernt confused who i was referring to?!

Mate we are not confined to signing one player. Are you telling me we didnt have a list of players we could have also bid for? Can we not move on to the next target if we cant get them before our biggest games? I refuse to believe that Duffy represents the best value for money, ability, etc thats available to us.

you are arguing against what has been recurring issues for us. Near enough every qualifying campaign for the past 4 or 5 seasons have been the same. How many campaigns have we had to play Bitton at CB because we dont have cover? Have we even replaced Jozo yet?

2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Btw your saying im conveniently skipping over points, but your conveniently ignoring every summer transfer window for the past four seasons and making out like these issues just started this season.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No mate I wasn’t confused but it makes sense to spell his name correctly.

Well Forster was our first choice and we were quick enough to move on to Barkas. I’m sure we go for our top targets and move on if we can’t get them. My point is, we undoubtedly have a lot to offer players, but there are also some things that go against us, along with transfers generally taking a bit of time for most clubs as everyone is trying to get the best deal they can.

We’ve brought Elyounoussi back who was our best player tonight, along with Barkas and Ajeti who should become positive signings over time. Not starting a striker tonight is on Lennon and despite your frustrations with our recruitment, we are undoubtedly a more talented squad than them.

My own biggest criticism of Lawwell and the board, is that we’re well known to be overly cautious when it comes to spending, especially if players are trying to negotiate for an extra couple of grand a week. However, while acknowledging the risks of the market we operate in, we have done some good business over recent years and tonight’s exit isn’t on Lawwell.

FranceCelt likes this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Lawwell was for the watching as soon as he came away with that "threw the other manager CVs in the bin" patter and then hiring our manager in the showers at Hampden.

5. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    At least we would have had £30 million in our back pocket while they were doing it!

Breathnach67 likes this.
  6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

In the past I would completely agree regarding the board and Lawwell.

But tonight falls at Lennon’s feet. He never learnt from past experiences and we had a good enough of a squad to win tonight but it was down to his line up, formation, tactics and subs that we lost tonight.

To play a knock out game at home with no forward is criminal, Lawwell never made Lennon do that, he * that
    Himself.

Now if you want to talk about past mistakes about the board I agree with but tonight is about Lennon and not Lawwell for me.

celticdawg and G_portillo like this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don’t agree with that. I too have had frustrations with out transfer windows and I can’t remember the last January signing we made that has made a significant impact. I just think there’s more to it than blaming Lawwell for tonight’s exit.

G_portillo likes this.
  8. boylebhoy95

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    There's definitely something badly badly wrong at the moment, I know that goes without saying after tonight, but I mean more systemically and behind the scenes.

To be honest, I've pretty much believed that the whole fan base have been taken for mugs ever since Lennon started reiterating that he'd 'like to get another striker in' on top of Ajeti. I've interpreted this as proof that they know that Edouard will go this window, but are trying to pull the wool over the fanbase's eyes by getting for example Toney in prior to Edouard leaving to cushion the blow. Fair enough we're gonna need heavy artillery at that end of the pitch during this season of all seasons, but come on.

Obviously the Bolingoli situation will have inflamed things behind the scenes massively, but there is just a general malaise that hints at something very worrying. If it's been 'bugging him for weeks' that there are players who don't wanna be here, then it should've been rectified weeks ago.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  9. greenpegasus

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    We are basically now a Diddy team who occasionally punches above its weight (Lazio last year). Beaten in recent times by teams from Sweden, Greece, Hungary, Romania..becoming as big a laughing stock as our * national team. A complete joke at home, fortress Parkhead has been replaced by keystone cops.

I will stick by the team, like I did during the dire years of the late to mid 90s, but defintely not enjoying the ride.

Marty McFly likes this.
  10. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    This.

11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I dont disagree, its beyond criminal not to play a striker. Craig Levein bad.

However on the whole issues are continuing to blight us, issues which are a constant in Lawwells tenure and for me if Lennon goes, PL needs to go too.

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im defo not saying its only PLs fault. Lennon will be under heavy criticism and rightly so. But frankly, im fed up of the same old same old and Id like to see reform from the top down because I would expect more of the same if their isnt.

13. WhitleyCelt

Lets be honest here. We are victims of our own downfall

Tierney out Taylor in
    Dembele Out Bayo In (Eddy played alongside Dembele so not a replacement)
    Armstrong Out Nobody in.
    Roberts out Nobody in.
    Jonny Hayes left winger out Moi in...not a left winger IMO.

Forrest, Brown and McGregor get away with having off days whereas technically better players like Ntcham get hooked. It makes no sense.

I could go on and on and on. Downsizing year after year in hope that we stumble across a hidden gem worth 25m is not any way to do business. The CM hasnt changed in 4 years. They bhoys remain unchallanged for spots.

Lennon was the only man who could answer the save our season call. But not a long term solution which we are finding out now.

Biggest season since stopping that lots 10 and we are under prepared. Its complete madness.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ok, let’s look specifically at the defence. Jozo released because he was surplus to requirements. I wanted him sold anyway. Ajer and Jullien are first choice and both have been good recruitment. Frimpong and Elhamed have been good recruitment. Even Taylor has been a decent buy. Bolingoli, even disregarding his idiotic error, wasn’t. That’s on the recruitment team rather than Lawwell. Forster was a great bit of business and so far Barkas has looked decent. We still need another CB but our first choice pairing was fit and available tonight, and both played relatively well. Bain has done a job.

The two worst examples of defensive recruitment are Compper and Hendry, but that’s on Rodgers and Congerton as they wanted them.

We are overly cautious with finances at times, yes. That was a criticism I was making. It’s this cautious attitude that can cost us at times. I’m not saying our recruitment doesn’t have flaws, but it is true that we’ve made some good buys in recent seasons. With regards to those you mention; Soro is unproven so far. Klimala is one who I don’t have particularly high hopes for but his attitude is excellent and his contribution when given the chance has been decent. Bolingoli has been disappointing, yeah.

My point about us being the more talented team was to say we should’ve been able to beat them tonight, and it was tactics and individual errors that cost us.

You’re entitled to your opinion that it’s been substandard, but you also have to acknowledge there are several examples of us recruiting well.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Fair enough.

16. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Is there any particular reason you don’t post when something positive happens like when we win more times than not?

17. bhoy81

I’ve been wanting Lawwell to go for years. While he has been at the helm he dropped the ball so many times.

I mean the old co would have died sooner if it wasn’t for his shambles of a last window when WGS was in when we needed Fletcher. Lawwell handed them a lifeline for three * seasons.

Lawwell will be at the club for years to come.

G_portillo and richardm like this.
  18. bhoy81

Taylor is *, same with Boli money wasted on both.

Everything else spot on

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He wasn’t * tonight.

richardm likes this.
  20. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song: