1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Big Shoes, Aug 10, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    :giggle1:

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Absolutely buzzing if it turns out to be a permanent deal. Thought him and Dunk were pretty solid for Brighton, not a high scoring side so they likely would've been relegated if it wasn't for those two.

Fingers toes and bollocks crossed we get this done :36:

Tommy25, cidermaster and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  3. Sin

Not sure why anyone wouldn't be excited at this signing, if it happens.

He's a no nonsense defender, sure he isn't a ball playing defender but what he is is a tank in his own box and a danger in the other box.
    He will walk straight into the side.

We need a CB so may as well buy one that will go straight into the side no?
    No project, no "he will add cover", he will be straight into the side and that's fine by me!

Tommy25, The_Bhoy and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey

The highlights are a bit unfair on him , he was very decent that night, won a lot of headers. Also I don't think he's as slow for a centre half as being suggested. Over a few yards I always found him fairly mobile considering his size and abrasiveness . Would be an unreal signing who will steady us at the back and if he brings his level of performance from big Ireland games to big Celtic games we are gonna have a lot of good European nights ahead

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Jullien and Ajer pace will cover any lack of pace he is what we need a big hard * that will smash anyone in his way let the other 2 play football from back like the O’Neill team Mjallby and Valgaren could play from back and Bobo was the smasher!

6. ddub11

Always nice to add to the squad,with regards to duffy he would be agood addition for us but hes an average player who cant get his game at brighton.
    Yes id like to have him in the team but iwould suggest people dont expect to much from him.Take away the irish conection and i wonder how people would feel about us taking on a guy who cant get into Brighton?

As i said i think he would be a good adition(as an irish man)id love to have him,but id wouldnt expect to much from him,hes a battler but thats about it,hes no van *.

kevkeith007 likes this.
  7. Sin

You're talking about a team that is rejecting a 25 million bid for a CB, he can't get in the Brighton team as they have a couple of very good CBs that are keeping him out!

I said earlier he is no ball playing defender, he is a no nonsense defender that will go straight into our starting 11.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He lost being first choice at Brighton because potter wants to play out from the back and deemed dunk and Webster better suited to that but he also started Duffy 19 times out of 38. Personally I feel it will all implode in Brighton's face and potters game plan will ultimately fall apart and they will go down, I'd fancy them to go down this season. Most managers I believe would have Duffy ahead of Webster it's just potters preference. Don't think anyone is saying he is van dijk but what he offers (strong solid good defender) is what most of us agree we badly need and at 5 mill and good few years left in his career it's a fantastic signing

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

StPauli1916 likes this.
  9. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No one expects him to be the next Van Dijk, but he’s a strong imposing leader who’s extremely dominant aerially and ticks a lot of boxes in what we lack defensively. Being Irish (and a Celtic fan) only serves to show that he understands the club and the pressures and importance of this season.

As for your comments on Brighton (and almost using the fact they’re a relatively small club as a stick to beat Duffy with), it’s a sad insight into modern football and the money down south, but I’d absolutely bite your hand off to have any of Lewis Dunk, Adam Webster, Ben White or Joel Veltman here. There’s no shame in Duffy leaving there, in fact it’s a credit to him if he’d rather come here than sit on the bench and pick up premiership wages by the seaside.

StPauli1916 and Mr Shelby like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Normally I'd agree about the whole irish connection thing but even that aside I think he is what we need. He isnt a special footballer by any means...but for £5m or whatever the fee may be, we wont get a more suited CB to the club than him for what we need currently.

Noone is saying he is Van Dijk. Far from it. What he is, is an EPL, international centre back who has the attributes we currently lack in the defence, and who also happens to be a celtic fan.

Tommy25 and ddub11 like this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Scenes when Paul was actually talking about West Ham.

Hammy89 and Twisty like this.
  12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Doesn't fit your narrative but take away the Swiss connection and most people seem quite excited about signing a guy that can't get a game for West Ham. I don't think many would have minded signing a keeper that can't get on the Southampton bench either so I think you are trying to create a scenario that isn't there.

13. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't care how fast he us, that isn't our issue. We need somebody with a set of balls that won't let lumps of * bully them for 90 minutes. I hope he's the answer, can't even think if I've ever seen him play but going by the folk that have, he sounds ideal.

GreenLeanMean and The_Bhoy like this.
  14. ddub11

Not relly trying to creat anything ,i just get the feeling a few people seem to be of the opininon duffy is a bit better than he actualy is.As i said hes struggling to get into a brighton team that flirted with relagation.With regards to players from southhampton/west ham i was and am of the same opinion,happy to have them but wouldnt expect to much and if they turn out to be diamonds in the rough....great,it can happen but also they ca n turn out to be duds.

15. ddub11

My point about Brighton was they flirted with relegation and yet duffy couldnt get a run with them,ok maybe the manager just didint fancy him(it happens).
    Im not knocking duffy .just trying to make the point that while he could do a job for us we need to remember he couldnt get onto Brighton at a time they were struggling and he may not be as good as some thing,
    For the record id gladly be proven wrong ,as an irish man id love to see him be a massive success.

16. Ak1

17. joemc

I think the majority of us know wot to expect , he would add a bit of steel , aggression and go through anything to win a ball , leaving the beautiful stuff to the others , this guy will also make us a double threat at corners .
    So he TICKs a lot of boxes and is the type we need to give us the whole package .

18. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    He played all but three of Brightons games in his first two years in the Prem,they changed manager,who wanted a ball playing center back which is why Duffy has been out of the team

DennyCelt, StPauli1916 and Slaw like this.
  19. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Newcastle now reported to be 'in the race' to sign him. No surprises to see this is dragging on and on. If Newcastle or a similar club do sign him, it will look like we have dithered and * around so much that a club with a lot more money has come in and snapped him up. If Celtic really want him then just get the * thing done.

20. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

I su
    I suspect Celtic have got wind of this this the interest on Moore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.