1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Aug 1, 2015.

Discuss Kieran Tierney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

Nothing.

I just think that he is disingenuous, and that his standing among some supporters is inflated because he paints himself as a Tommy Burns-type figure.

He is motivated by ambition and money, not loyalty and romance - which is fine. He is not a throwback to the halcyon days of a team of players born within a stone's throw of Celtic Park conquering Europe, or Burns playing for a people and a cause; he is very much a modern footballer, and his reputation is undeserved.

I have seen people describe him as a Celtic legend. He is nothing close to that in my estimation. He is a fine player, who provided me with great memories during his time at Celtic, but who ultimately chose to give the best years of his career to another club - no different to someone like Dembélé.

Good luck to him.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just watched it there. Great stuff.

The bit about playing through his pubis injury is * ridiculous. He should never have been put in that position.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Why? He's just as much of a Celtic fan as any of us.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Sydneysider likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Given some of the * spouted about him I wouldnt blame him tbh.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That's not true though. Arsenal have been in for him before.

Sydneysider likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Whit? If folk have acted like scumbags towards him he's entitled to call it out regardless of whether or not they're fans of the club.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He never made himself out to be that guy. He’d be the first to separate himself from the likes of the Lisbon Lions and Tommy Burns. He even separates himself from the UEFA cup final team. A lot of our fans put him on that pedestal because he’s a fan, showed passion and spoke so highly of the club he played for.

He’s allowed to go to games and be in with the crowd, he’s allowed to talk about his posters, phone screen saver, his memories as a fan, how much he loves the club etc. He’s just as much of a fan as we all are. The reason he was so loved by us and Arsenal have taken to him so well is because of how genuine he is.

People have to remember he isn’t meant to be in the position he’s in. He wasn’t even meant to play for us. He told the story of getting into the 1st team, that was complete chance. He also gave more to the club than most ever will, including everyone at home slagging him. He played through a career threatening injury for the club he supports.

The situation is streets apart from Rodgers or players like Dembele. The bitterness has got to go, people need to move on.

8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Surely that same bitterness and need for people to move on has to be said for Rodgers also? Streets apart is a slight exaggeration also. They all left for smaller clubs with more money. That’s the reality of it all. Me personally, I’ve moved on. I couldn’t give a * about him. I want him to do well because it sets up Celtic for talented youngsters to come and prosper. I really don’t care about him as an individual though. I care about the people who play at Celtic and want to be here. No one is bigger than the club but with the way some fans act, putting him on some sort of pedestal, you’d think he was more important. Everyone need to move on, those who have this weird sort of love in for him and will look to diminish the club and the league and the finances he had so they can defend him and those who can’t stand him. The reality for me is this, he left. He cares about the club but he left. He’s no hero, he’s certainly no legend and he’s no different to any other player who left us for cash. Both sides need to drop it.

Sydneysider likes this.
  9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Tierney, a player, moving to Arsenal at the end of a season is streets apart from Rodgers, a manager, moving to Leicester in the middle of a season.

Also, Arsenal are a massive club. Don’t let their struggles fool you. But it’s not about that, it’s the level of competition he’s now in. Granted, they need to get back to being a Champions League team. If we were a Premier League team he’d still be a Celtic player. But we aren’t, we are held back by the league we are in and that’s just the reality.

He felt he’d done all he could here. I agree with some who think he should have stayed for 10 but with the injuries he was dealing with, I can’t blame him for taking a chance at a higher level.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Paul McAuley

It scares me he was being overlooked in the youth/development squads. It took Diela to make his career. We owe Ronny quite alot tbh when you think of Calmac aswell. Will get a roar on 10 day for sure!

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think it was scarier hearing him talk about his injury and playing through it. Shows our issues with squad rotation, players not knowing when they shouldn't play, managers asking players to play through injury.

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I thought the scariest part was about how far behind we seem to be Arsenal when it comes to facilities, training, medical side, analysis etc.

The_Bhoy and Sydneysider like this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I listened to a podcast with one of the guys from our academy. He used to work for Liverpool's academy as well. He was talking about how our operation is a good standard but Liverpool is further ahead due to their finances and the fact that a modern academy was implemented down south earlier than it was in Scotland. Based on that it's not really surprising that Arsenal, with a much bigger budget, are further ahead than us.

Twisty likes this.
  14. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Him saying it vilifys everyone, you talk bad about celtic fans you talk bad about celtic, people were entitled to be disgruntled with him leaving just as he was entitled to * off at the first opportunity. Not condoning threats that may have happened but of course people were allowed to be * off

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No it doesn't. It doesn't vilify me, it doesn't vilify you, it doesn't vilify anyone who wasn't involved. Some Celtic fans are arseholes, just like any club's supporters. Their actions don't represent the rest of us the same way Tierney calling it out doesn't cast blame on all of us.

It wasn't his first opportunity to leave. He could have left after he played 30 first team games for us, to the same club he's at now.
    People were allowed to be * off at him leaving, as illogical as it is, but there's still nothing wrong with him speaking about the reaction to him leaving, which from some was embarrassingly juvenile and bitter.

16. Tomas

Hes still a fan as are his family members, it's ridiculous that he is worried about going to Celtic Park; we've welcomed back lots of former players over the years, Keiran should be made welcome, anytime and especially when 10 iar is secured. Hail Hail

The_Bhoy likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I never mentioned once that he was more or less of a ‘Celtic man’?

He had every right to make the choice to leave as much as us as fans have every right to question his choice.

As a side note, Arsenal are (at the very least) a level below the top.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  18. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I dont think the likely incoming daily record headline is likely to distinguish between you amd i and everyone else who wasnt involved amd whoever was, I dont recall an accepted bid from any club before him leaving that be turned down. I can completely see why people were annoyed, if there was one player you thought could possibly turn down the bright lights of the EPL to stay with the club he loves it wouldve been him at least until the 10 and made himself a legend but wasn't to be clearly, im not bitter now and wish him well but was disappointed at the time.

19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nah I get that but the fact that we invested massively in it under Rodgers and still seem so far behind is concerning.

That’s not even talking about the difference in youth players he was mentioning.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Who’s going to know we’re he lives it’s too far fetched to be honest .... he’s difinently bending the truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk