1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Snooker thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 6, 2015.

Discuss Snooker thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s a definite * with mental issues.

However, in full flow he’s like MVG I’m the darts - easily the most exciting player to watch in snooker.

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Alex Higgins was box office back in the day, but he was a mental * anaw, he actually threatened to have Dennis Taylor shot.

Genius of a player but his head was gone.

3. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Still got his cue tucked away
    Gold dust imo

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

When you looked at his cue action it was incredible that he was so succesful lol, emotional and enigmatic, the guy was an entertainer, a flawed genius.

Made one of the greatest clearances to win a frame, the game has ever seen, he made the game sexy, and introduced a wider audience to the game of snooker.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  5. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Was before my time mate.. seen clips though older relative played snooker all his days and loved him. Held onto his cue for years before passing it to me

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

That should be worth a few bob mate :50:

I can remember watching Pot Black in the * 70's, best of 3 frames of snooker. :56: :52:

MickeyyMack likes this.
  7. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Great opening session from McGill

8. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I I’d imagine so sentimental value though keeping a hold of it for sure.

The Prof likes this.
  9. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Aye cracking from the wee man good Celtic Boy learnt his trade playing with McManus in the Q Club

10. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    I thought he was a jags fan??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Him, Jimmy White and Kirk Stevens were the guys to watch back then mate.

Higgins reminded me off Wee John Thomas Wilson in the darts.....they needed to be half pished before they really upped their game!!!:60:

The Prof and MickeyyMack like this.
  12. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Didn’t seem like one when he’s been in the Q club mate

13. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    The 29-year-old Glaswegian raced into a 6-2 semi-final lead over England's Kyren Wilson after this morning's first session he closed in on his maiden appearance in the the final of the biggest tournament in the game.

wasn't so long ago that the world's best snooker stars were recognised far and wide but the 29-year-old from Dalmarnock isn't exactly a household name even in his home country.

But that doesn't mean McGill - who goes by the name the Tartan Nugget - isn't a colourful character.

That much has been glimpsed in the past seven days as the young Scot, trailing 7-2 in his second round match with Jamie Clarke, confronted his opponent for getting in his eyeline as he prepared to take a shot, saying it was the third time in the match it had happened.

Clarke was none too happy, tweeting 'If you want to dance, let's dance', but it was he who crumbled, McGill fighting back to win a remarkable 9-8 victory.

And now he has all the momentum behind him as he bids to book his place in the biggest match in snooker.

Whatever happens, we seem likely to hear much more about Anthony McGill? But who is he?
    Boyhood Rangers fan Graeme Dott once paraded the World Snooker trophy around Ibrox and McGill would dream of doing likewise on the other side of the city.

Brought up in the East End of Glasgow, the 29-year-old is a Celtic season ticket holder who makes the short walk over to Parkhead on matchdays when he isn't competing.

This makes it very handy when the Coral Scottish Open takes place each year over the road at the Emirates Arena.

Having said all that, travel is a big enough part of the package on the world snooker tour that he says he doesn't get "value" from his season ticket - he captured his first major tournament in Hyderabad in India.

"My family still stay there, in between Parkhead and Tollcross," McGill has said.

"I can see Celtic Park from their window and if the Emirates was a little bit taller I would be able to see that as well.

"I can basically just fall out my bed and I will be in the arena."

This is the furthest he has got in Sheffield but heroics at the Crucible Theatre aren't exactly unheard of.

Back in 2015, he first announced himself to the watching world with a second-round victory over reigning champion Mark Selby and managed to de-frock another former world champion in Shaun Murphy.

McGill told me in late 2016: "That 2015 World Champs was the first tournament I did well in and in the immediate aftermath, as snooker was in people's consciousness, I got recognised a fair few times, which was unusual for me."

The first major ranking final of his career came in front of Scottish fans at Ravenscraig, as he went down 4-2 to Ding Junhui in the previous incarnation of the Scottish Open.

He now has career earnings in excess of £700,000 and this weekend already seems likely to be a game changer for him.

If not, he is realistic about his ambitions.

He told me back in 2016: "You can set yourself up for life in snooker but you need to be top 10 in the world to do that and there are not many who can get that.

"I would love to be world champion and all the rest of it but realistically I might have to make a bit of money and invest in some property and do it that way. I know it isn't going to last forever."

Snooker is often said to be bereft of characters but a glance at the Scot's Twitter feed reveals him to be a huge music fan obsessed with the likes of the Smiths and Pink Floyd.

He also swears by a strict vegan diet.

He has said: "I just love music because I love music.

"A life without music would be very dull so I am constantly listening to CDs in the car, like the Smiths, Pink Floyd or Bruce Springsteen.

"I went to see a Smiths tribute band, called the Smyths, last April, and the guy who was supposed to be Morrissey was brilliant.

"And the vegan thing as well.

"It is not like I am living in Alaska, where the only thing you can eat is an eel who has just popped out of the ocean.

"In the kind of society we live in, there are supermarkets everywhere, so it is easy to get what you need."

- They just couldn’t help themselves

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  14. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Come on the Tartan Nugget

MickeyyMack likes this.
  15. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Hopefully gets back on the ball he’s Let his lead slip .. still plenty a frames though

16. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Good level of snooker being played tonight very tight.

Hoping the wee man pulls it off

17. GAA_Celtic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No
    O'Sullivan not even bothering now

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Think it’s easy to label that at him when the balls don’t roll for him and he was having major bad luck time and again.

Got his act together though, tonight’s session will be a cracker.

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I didn’t catch the early session but Selby was 1/5 in play to make it 14-9. Cracking effort by Ronnie to peg it back to 13-11. He should be right up for it later. I’d love to see him bag another world title.

Markybhoy likes this.
  20. Markybhoy

Go on Ronnie.

Slaw likes this.