1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ivan Toney

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Jun 12, 2020.

Discuss Ivan Toney in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Aye we put a second bid in last week but Peterborough haven't acknowledged it

2. Foley1888

I hope your right about Eddy but I will be very surprised if we make it to the end of the window having not sold at least one of Eddy, Ajer, Ntcham or Christie. They along with CalMac, Forrest, Frimpong and Julien are probably our highest value players in terms of a transfer fee received. However the last four mentioned have all just recently signed or signed substantial new deals.

What makes me think one of the later ones will go is they all have two years on their deals left if you keep any of them to one year then you are looking at a significant reduction in expected fee. For example

Eddy £30-40m now or £15m in a year
    Ntcham £13-16m or £5-7m in a year
    Christie £13-16m or £5-7m in a year
    Ajer £15m-20m or £6-8m in a year.

Given we have spent a bit of cash on a keeper and a striker and we still need another 3 minimum through the door and are supposably still trying to get Toney I cannot see all four signing new deals and staying.

Eddy it will come down to who is interested and if we are playing CL football I think. Ntcham will be game time, whose interested as he made it known last year he fancied testing himself in a better league. Christie’s agent is known to be tough to deal with and if there was EPL interest it sounds like he fancies testing himself down there. Ajer, seems to think he is better than he is and even changing agents there was probably some truth in the not signing a new deal stuff given he got himself associated with a top agency. So there are reasons why they may all consider a move.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  3. Delphic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry

I understand what you’re saying about having our best players on long contracts, and in an ideal world Eddy would sign on, stay for a few years, then leave for a fortune.

It’s not black and white though - Stuart Armstrong still left for a good fee.

And if Edouard is brilliant again this season then clubs won’t really care because they’ll either have to bid for him, or miss out altogether. It won’t really matter if he has a 10 year contract - if they are desperate for him they’ll pay what we want.

As for the prices you say that Ajer and Ntcham are worth now, I’d happily take £36 million for them tomorrow, as long as the money was reinvested, which we know it probably wouldn’t be.

Ntcham is potentially a world beater, he’s inconsistent, and a little moody though, so we have to look at everything in isolation.

4. Foley1888

Stuart Armstrong left for £7m and teams knew he wanted to go as wouldn’t sign a longer than one year extension. If he had signed a longer deal we would have got a good few mil more for him.

If Eddy has a cracking season, but gets to having a year on his deal and teams know we will need to sell or lose him for nothing then we won’t get as big a fee if this position is protected. Best for us as others have said is sign an extension with a fee agreed we will sell at. We get to keep Eddy to go for the 10 and still get a big fee.

I am the same on Ajer and Ntcham, I would sell both as long as they would be replaced. Both are very talented players but I don’t think Ajer’s value while at us will go up any further and Ntchams inconsistency limits his. The figures quoted are based on fees that have been quoted in articles not necessarily what I think they are worth. In terms of money to spend if we are still in for Toney and going to bring in a CB and LB we will have spent a fair bit this window in comparison to others.

5. Jeremie Frimpong

I think that Édouard is happy to stay for a season, so offer him a two-year contract extension, with a big salary hike, and perhaps a buy-out clause if he requests one.

Everyone is a winner.

Artorias and Big Shoes like this.
  6. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Edouard undoubtedly is happy here. But all it takes is one decent bid from someone and 1 of 2 things can/will happen. Pedro will get a stauner and perhaps try and pressure Edouard into a move or else Edouard fancies the move, has his head turned and spits the dummy out if we try and block it. Neither of these scenarios are pleasant.

Big Shoes and The_Bhoy like this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Eddy was signed for a record 9 million quid to replace Moussa whilst Moussa was still here and the result in that is we’ve got a 30 million plus asset to sell a wee bit down the line.

The club aren’t daft.

Dublin Celt and Mr Shelby like this.
  8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Probably. All I was saying was I would reject it and I think most fans would. Albeit I could see why he would sell at that.

maybe so but I think we should have been asking for more than £25m for Tierney. It should have been £30m plus. If you’re asking me if I think we should get £40m and he’s worth it? Of course I do but I can’t see a club paying that for him in this window. It also depends heavily on him signing a new contract, which I don’t think he will.

littlekennie likes this.
  9. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I think if edoaurd was going this summer we would be a lot more aggressive in our pursuit of Toney, but we seem very chilled about the whole thing, put in our fair offer below the mad money they want and sit back. Any other season edoaurd would be gone for 35+ and most couldn't have much arguments. Just hopeful thinking this season we can get a year extension done and keep him for one more. To have edoaurd move on next season with his replacements in the door for under 13 mill would be unbelievable business

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Like when we told Dembele we'd sell him 2 years into his 4 year deal and sold him on the final day of the transfer window in 2018, without any replacement scouted? Something that ended up seeing us play Mikey Johnston up front as a lone striker.

I wouldn't read anything into our passiveness in the market. If a club bid £35m for Eddie today, Pedro would back his bags and drop him off at the airport.

Lewis Kerr, Dublin Celt and Artorias like this.
  11. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    The buy out clause will in interesting.

His agent will know we would be desperate to keep him for this season.
    Next summer we might not get 25m for him with only 2 years left.

So this gives him wriggle room to keep as many options open for the player when he does leave.

I can see them asking for 25m release clause to sign a new deal which can be activited next summer

To be honest id take this now, if theres a commitment from Eddie to be here for another year, cant put a price on stability this season.

And anyway people that would say we could get 35m are the same people that say we dont put the money back into the team more often than not

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

We got £25m for Tierney. £25m for Edouard would be daylight robbery.

Hammy89 and _DannyBhoy_ like this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    With 1 year left next summer he would be worth less than £25m

14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Without a doubt yeah. We need him to extend his contract.

15. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Yes but they have the leverge of a transfer buy out then.

16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I don’t think a buy out clause is wise, because if he has a big season and he’s “on the market” then there could be a bidding war.

I think simply the promise of being willing to let him leave is enough.

17. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Let's keep talk to the subject in hand. This is the Ivan Toney thread not the Edouard thread.

18. dmac

If Celtic push into the 5 or 6mill for Toney then Edouard could be up for sale I just wonder if Toney wants to come here will be sit till the winter transfer window for a pre contract deal he gets a bigger wage from Celtic and Celtic handsome money on a transfer fee

Big Shoes likes this.
  19. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

Was just about to say the same thing. If guys want to talk about Eddie make a new thread:31:

20. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I am really hoping we get this lad. He would be a great addition to our squad and has a style that we don’t currently possess. He is available now and he won’t be available at the end of the season or maybe even January for that matter. I might be a bit naive but can’t see why we would need to shift any of our main players to accommodate this signing. I believe if we do this business now it saves us from having to lay out money next season for the position and gives us a chance to bed the player into our system and style of play. Especially if he can play on the wing or up front.

Big Shoes and CountyDownFaithful like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.