1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonny Hayes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jun 14, 2017.

Discuss Jonny Hayes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DEREK McINNES has revealed Jonny Hayes is playing for FREE this season.

The winger sealed his Pittodrie return on Tuesday and has agreed to defer his whole salary for 12 months.

McInnes admits there would have been no chance of it happening if Hayes hadn’t made that selfless gesture.

With the Dons losing up to £10 million because of the Covid-19 crisis, he wouldn’t have been able to table an offer unless the 32-year-old was willing to take a huge hit.

And McInnes insists the Irishman is a shining example of a sportsman more interested in his career than cash.

He said: “This deal wouldn’t have got done without Jonny making the sacrifice he’s made.

“Footballers get a bad rap at times but what he’s done is incredible.

“Jonny and his agent deserve a lot of praise for getting it over the line.

He’s deferred his full wages for the whole year.

“It wouldn’t have gone through without that but once we established it could be done then it was plain sailing.

With the impact of what’s happened, we wouldn’t have been able to do anything because of the huge financial hole we have.

“We’re well aware of the restraints we’re under.

Jonny had opportunities to go elsewhere and try something new, but I know how much he likes it here and he wanted to come back.

“The financial pressure we are under was always going to make this signing tougher.

“I have kept in touch with Jonny regularly since he left the club.

“He was influential the first time round for me and I still see the same speed, the same ability there.

Hopefully the experience he’s had at Celtic, winning trophies, will have made him an even better player.

“He’s the kind of person you want at your club and I think he’s a brilliant signing for us.

“There is always an element of risk when you sign players in their thirties, but it’s minimised by the fact we know him.

“We won’t have the ability to make a lot of signings this summer but when someone of Jonny’s ability and quality comes along we had to try.”

McInnes was in the fortunate position of having virtually his whole squad signed up so doesn’t need to make big changes.

And until the financial picture improves, he won’t be making more moves in the transfer market.

Del said: “Under the circumstances we’ll be working with the squad we’ve got until things change. In my mind, we will be cracking on.”

Hayes was released by Celtic at the start of the month and although he had other offers, heading back to Pittodrie was always his main aim.

Hayes said: “I always kept in touch with the manager.

“I know what he expects but I’ve grown as a player in the last few years and I will slot back in with the level of expectation he wants and demands of the club.

“Whatever it might be, golf, football or whatever, I don’t like losing and it’s a good trait to have, the manager knows that.

“If I can come back and win some medals here it would be ideal.”

tarboltontim and The_Bhoy like this.
  2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fair * to the wee man

TheHappyLoss and The_Bhoy like this.
  3. BrisbaneBhoy

Nothing but respect. A very special man, and not to bad of a player either. All the best to him (except when playing against us)

4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    What a * guy

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Well done Hayes.

Guys a good lad and a decent player.
    Played his heart out for us and much respect for him.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

6. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Didn’t think we should have let him go,he’s like Bitton, can step into a position and do a job. One more year to help as cover even,he always put sweat into his shirt imho. Best of luck to him. :50:

7. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Very well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomDePlum likes this.
  8. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That is an incredible from Hayes. Respect does not even come close to it. Unreal gesture from him. Hope he does great for them except against us next season.

Sydneysider and The_Bhoy like this.
  9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Jonny is a beautiful human being.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CALLUM McGregor has hailed his former Celtic team mate Jonny Hayes for agreeing to play for Aberdeen for free next season and admitted the Scottish champions will need to be on their guard when they face the winger next season.

Hayes left Parkhead after helping the Glasgow club to win their last three Premiership titles when his contract expired at the end of last month and has since returned to Pittodrie.

The Republic of Ireland internationalist, who has signed a two year deal with the Dons, has agreed to defer his wages for a year because of the impact of the coronavirus crisis.

Scotland midfielder McGregor is unsurprised that the versatile player has found himself another club and that he is prepared to play for nothing for Derek McInnes's men in the 2020/21 campaign.

“He’s a great character who was well liked about the place," he said. "Jonny is so reliable, you could hang your hat on him, which is exactly what you want in a teammate.

“It was brilliant to see him get sorted so quickly. I thought he would as he’s a top player, but there’s so much uncertainty right now.

“It’s great for him to get his future sorted so soon and everyone at Celtic wishes him all the best.

“It’s an amazing gesture from Jonny Hayes (playing for free). It just shows he’s desperate to play football and is back at a club he has an affinity with.

“It’s great that it’s worked out. It maybe needed that kind of gesture to get it over a line and it speaks volumes about his character.”

Aberdeen were Celtic's nearest challengers when Hayes played for them before and McGregor believes the north-east club will benefit from his return.

He added: “We’ll need to keep tabs on him when we play Aberdeen. Training with him every day for three years, we know what he can bring to the table.

“We wish him all the best for the season, but when we come up against him we’ll be hoping he has an off day."

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

New signing Jonny Hayes is keen to play down the sacrifice of deferring wages for a year to secure a return to Aberdeen.

The winger made the unusual gesture because the Dons are in no position to sign players at the moment due to projected £10m losses in the Covid-19 crisis.

A game changer who can light up a match the 32-year-old wants to remain away from the limelight in relation to the wage sacrifice he made to play for the Reds.

Instead Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes insists Hayes is completely focused on making an immediate impact in his second spell at the club.

McInnes said: “Jonny is a magnificent signing and a huge shot in the arm for everyone, including myself, that we managed to get him here.

“I am grateful for the gesture he made to allow it to happen. That shouldn’t be underplayed as it couldn’t have been done without Jonny’s gesture.

“Jonny does not want to make a huge deal of that. He just wants to concentrate with the job in hand and has been training brilliantly. It is great to have Jonny back.”

Aberdeen do not have the budget to make new signings and are currently in talks with players and management regarding wage cuts to help lessen the financial impact of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Hayes was a free agent having left Premiership champions Celtic this summer after three successful years at Parkhead.

Newly promoted Dundee United were tracking the winger whilst Championship sides Stoke City and Preston also had Hayes on their radar.

Hayes made more than 200 appearances for the Dons before leaving for Celtic in a £1.3million move after the 2016-17 season.

Aberdeen lacked a spark of creativity to break down defences last season and suffered a five goal league goal scoring drought between January and February.

McInnes believes Hayes is a game changer who can bring that spark. In his final season at Pittodrie Hayes netted 11 times and was pivotal to a side that scored three or more goals 14 times in all competitions.

That 2016-17 squad also scored four or more in seven games, including a 7-0 win (Dundee), 7-2 (Motherwell). 6-0 (Partick Thistle) and 5-1 (Kilmarnock) on league action.

Before leaving Pittodrie Hayes in an Aberdeen team delivered goals. McInnes is confident that will continue now he is back.

He said: “Jonny is a game changer. The speed we all know Jonny possesses is still there.

“Regardless of where we play him Jonny can be the difference in any game.”

Last summer McInnes underwent the biggest rebuild of his time at Pittodrie when reconstructing his squad.

McInnes believes some new signings can struggle to immediately grasp the culture and expectations that come with playing for Aberdeen.

That will be no problem for Hayes who spent five years at the club from 2012-17 and won every domestic honour with Celtic and played in the Champions League.

McInnes said: “Jonny gets the culture of the club and understands the demands.

“That’s important because not all new signings get that right away. Jonny loved his time here prior to moving.

“It was a blow when he left, there is no doubt about that. That was the end of an era for that team and Jonny was a huge part of that.”

Hayes is the second winger McInnes has signed this year having landed Matty Kennedy from St Johnstone during the January transfer window.

However Hayes could be the only new addition this summer unless a player is sold on, although McInnes and chairman Dave Cormack have both emphasised there will be no fire-sale of talent regardless of the £10m losses.

McInnes is confident the Republic of Ireland international will be a positive influence at the club both on and off the pitch.

He said: “It is important demands and Jonny will be a huge part of that.

“He joins a group of senior players who can hopefully lead by example and set an example in training very day.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Pretty embarrassing the level of understanding they claim to have of the regulations, never mind not understanding what a bubble is. If true it casts into doubt that the agreement has any chance of making it through the season through sheer stupidity more than anything else.

That level of understanding starts to make it look like the club and association are very much to blame too. Unbelievable that all players and staff aren't crystal clear on this. Other sports and leagues have done it. What's wrong with Scottish football!

At least Hayes has fronted up to an extent. If there was one Aberdeen player I hoped wasn't involved it was him.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  15. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    On the score sheet tonight

16. Keano88

Trigger his release clause.

17. James Gold Member Gold Member

He genuinely would get a game for us at LB at the moment

Breathnach67 likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. CelticPhillySupporter

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nir Bitton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail The Celts Are Here
    I miss the heart and hustle Hayes displayed for us. We could sorely use that now.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He was * *.

FrankMcCallum and Valhalla like this.