1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Hickey

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jan 19, 2020.

Discuss Aaron Hickey in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Better coaching we could offer but the same amount of game time we couldn't. Therefore he's probably goin to end up like other young players we've bought coz they looked good at other Scottish teams and we wasted them.
    To me, there no better coaching than actual game experience. So he'd come in at 18 and likely no be seen for 2 seasons. That's great for his development! How many of Bayerns young prosepects make it? Who was the boy from Dundee Utd that Sporting bought? Where the * is he now?
    If we did buy him, I'd loan him straight back out. Even if it's less than but close to £1m, still a fairly sizeable gamble.

2. McDaid88

Would be a good signing imo very good wee player seen him in a few Edinburgh derbys and he's not afraid to get stuck in and always did well against us, he would be some player if he packed on a stone or 2 which he could easily do at us in no time. Def worth a punt

3. Maestro 08

I thought he was very average against us tbh but in saying that I would be happy to take a chance on him, he def has something about him.

Would like to add that I dont think he will come to us given the choice. He left us for first team football and coming back he's still prob just back up. Same could possibly be said for the other club's interested in him but financially they are probably more lucrative for him.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I agree with the importance of game time but good coaching is obviously needed to supplement that.

Naturally with any team there is going to be players who dont make it, but some go on to do well at other places. Thats the case all over. Not everyone can turn out to be a Maloney, Tierney, Mcgregor.

You make a point about Bayern but how many go on to play for other German/European teams and make a good career? When teams are spending big money, youth players struggle to make it such is the need to bring in quality to compete for titles and win money.

Ryan Gauld isnt a great example to use. Its a big move to move country, league, culture etc and then compete against the best talent they have. But he is sticking at it over there and who is to say he wont go on to do well relatively well in Portugal.

£1m isnt a lot for a player who is thought of amongst the best scottish talent especially at 18 years old. After a year or
    two he could be worth three or four times that. Its worth the gamble considering some of the duds we have paid for.

5. Jeremie Frimpong

Gauld is 25 in December, and is playing for a no-mark club that has just been promoted to the Primeira Liga.

His move to Portugal has been nothing short of disastrous: his career has fallen off a cliff, and he has come nowhere close to fulfilling his potential.

6. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

I would definitely go in for him. Can’t see it been a big fee plus we have the 30% sell on.

Some on here saying they haven’t been impressed but he is only 18 years old so isn’t going to be anywhere near the full package yet. He is a tim as well so he will put in the hard work to make it here.

Training with better players will bring him on leaps and bounds. I think we will regret it if we don’t make a move for him. He is good with both feet so could cover both full back positions which is a big plus.

7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Better example than Gauld is Liam Henderson, thrived on a loan in Norway when he was 18/19 and now doing very well Italy. All depends on the players character and getting a bit of luck with the club they choose.

8. Tomas

Hes a good young player, it's almost certainly a no risk buy. Maybe Hearts don't want to deal with us but can they afford to turn us down if the boy want to come.

9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Surely if we were serious about getting this kid, we would have had him in the door last month, whats to be gained by waiting?

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Wouldn't be surprised if Hearts refused to sell to us if other offers are there.

11. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Well if Levein is to be believed then the diets don’t want to sell him to us.

12. Foley1888

If Hearts are not prepared to sell to us
    and we are prepared to match the offer that’s pretty pathetic given they aren’t even in the same league. Not surprising right enough.

I don’t suspect they will get a big fee for him so even getting 30% of that doesn’t make it great. I think he could have been one of those brought in for the future but manage to get an opportunity in the first team and become hard to shift.

13. Delphic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    I honestly wouldn’t put too much emphasis on what Craig Levein says.

Aaron Hickey has control over his own career, - gone are the days of Jim McLean and his 7 year contracts.

If a player with a 9 months on his contract, who we can sign on a Bosman in less than 5 months wants to sign for Celtic, then that’s his right.

His father looks after his career, he was a youth player with us, we have a 30% sell-on, and the whole family are Celtic daft.

I was told that we rate him, were interested in bringing him back at some point, but that there was no rush, and we actually felt that he was better off getting more experience at Hearts/playing under pressure, as opposed to probably not even making our bench(at that point)

I don’t know if the thinking has changed over the last few months.

There’s also the issue of his best position, our plans for him(going on loan first?) and us potentially not being able to get rid of Bolingoli.

It’s definitely not a case of Hearts deciding what path he takes though.

14. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

If he wants to come as much as everyone is making out, we should go public with our admiration of him and let him kick up * and force a move.
    Give him guarantees we'll come in for him when his contract expires and * hearts.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He couldn’t get a game a has been punted out on loan to Serie B.

Gauld won the Cup in Portugal.

16. Momo Sylla

He was a regular for Bari and Verona in Serie B. Once Verona got promoted a new manager came in and he barely got a chance. He was doing well but seems to not have been given the opportunity to prove himself in Serie A.

Appears to have done alright on loan. 1 goal and 4 assists in 15 games in Serie B.

17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Exactly mate thats why i stated he isnt a great example to use. He made a big move and it didnt work out but fair play to him it took a brave person to make that move and not a lot of youngsters in scotland go abroad.

The_Bhoy and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  18. Jeremie Frimpong

Aye, I have a lot of respect for Gauld. It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him.

19. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Tbh for both hitting 25 probably made some money out of the game but none of the 2 of them have really hit the height s from the way they were talked about at 18 and 19

none of them even ever been picked for a Scotland call up and when you see some of the players Scotland have called up last 6 or 7 years, doesn’t really say much, unfortunately from what I’ve seen of him, tidy enough wee player but can’t see his brother Ewan getting near our starting squad either

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He’s not a better example than Gauld though.

Gauld at least won something in Portugal and he failed at a massive club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.