1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Steven Fletcher

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by verdi-y-blanco, Jan 2, 2014.

Discuss Steven Fletcher in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Don't know what's the biggest riddy, us going for him or him turning us down.

KRS-1888 and Big Shoes like this.
  2. Jeremie Frimpong

Sebastian Andersson is supposed to have a release clause of £4m until Saturday. If we are looking for a target man...

3. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Just close this thread , ready to be opened in the summer transfer window

Artorias likes this.
  4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    That's who I'd go for.

5. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    We aren't paying 4 mill and high wages for a 4th choice target man that's 29

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Hammy89 likes this.
  6. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This year is all about the 10, so signing Fletcher on a one year deal is ideal. I know hes not everyone favourite player but Ive listened to a lot of players doing interviews when they have talked about Fletcher they have all said he is top class and massively under rated. I think he would be a brilliant option to have on the bench, it just make sense in this season to end all seasons. Apparently Celtic are still in talks with him contrary to reports he has already turned us down.

The_Bhoy, Maestro 08 and Mike B like this.
  7. Jeremie Frimpong

Who says that Andersson would be fourth choice?

He was more or less a one-in-two striker at Djurgården and Norrköping in the Allsvenskan, a league of comparable quality, and had a decent goal return with Union Berlin in the Bundesliga last season.

He also won more aerial duels than any other player in the Bundesliga last season.

29 is no age at all for a footballer these days. We could probably get four or five good seasons out of him. He would have little resale value, granted, but how much money have we wasted on duds like Baldé and Bayo?

It would be £4m well spent, in my opinion.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just canna see Pedro spunking 4M on a bit part player.

9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

How much do we need him for aerial duels really? I’d love a big guy knocking down to Eddy but I think there’s better out there, not sure we play that way enough to justify £4m. We focus on speed and low crosses with a goal scorer capitalising, or intricate 1-2’s to get in behind the defence.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Maestro 08

That's true but also we prob don't deviate from that because we don't have the option to. I can think of a good few instances when a Fletcher/Andersson type striker would have been an ideal alternative. It's not an option we've really had in a while and I think both would do well for us.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  11. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Our conversion rate from corners must be horrid. Jullien would of helped since arriving but its been an issue needing addressed for a while. Domestically we should be scoring more from set pieces and in europe theyre even more important. The sheer amount of corners we can create at times. An extra 15 goals a season there, easily, probably alot more . It was a glaring issue before jullien and his last minute goal vs lazio perfectly shows how vital those 15 goals could be

We are an attacking side but we dont play a specific way. Id say we played to suit the occasion. At times we play free flowing, intricate fitba. other times we need to be more defensive. The rat is the obvious example of someone who didnt do this. Treated psg like st mirren. We paid the price. But whatever philosophy you agree with, the best team on the pitch is almost always the one that has the most options within it.

12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Totally agree and its something I have been banging on about for years. Most SPL GAMES, i SUSPECT OUR CORNER COUNT IS INTO DOUBLE FIGURES.
    I would like to see statistics for a season, how many corners we get and our conversion rate. Its a simple coaching fix, but seems to me only Griff can deliver a decent corner-and he is not a first team starter and also, he needs to be in the box for corners, looking to pounce. VVD and Deneyer were the last pair of CH that regularly got on the score sheet from corners. Its another aspect of Ajer's game that frustrates me.
    I did note that young Henderson has a decent delivery but wont be on the field 95% of the time.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  13. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Out of interest, which players have said this?

14. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south
    How many goals do we score from corners. Or from free kicks that are played long or high into the box

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Nobody said we don’t need that option.

We just aren’t paying £4m for the option who doesn’t fit in the system.

16. Maestro 08

True, I'm not too fussed about Andersson tbh, don't know much about him but think Fletcher if we could get him for a year would be relatively low risk and gives us that option.

17. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south
    I was making the point that a target man would be useful to have maybe not Fletcher but someone younger. Fletcher never wanted to come here in his prime but now his career is winding down we are good enough. My advice is get someone young who wants to be here toney and ajeti can both score headers and win ariel battles that's who I would go for they are both young and have good value to the club. Fletcher would just be winding down his career with a final swansong and to win trophies something that has never bothered him before.

18. Maestro 08

I don't see the problem with Fletcher coming here to do that. He's not costing any money and brings huge experience. A one year deal with an option of another if he does well is ideal imo. Btw I think Fletcher would have jumped at the chance to come here before he headed south, it was the money men that put the breaks on it and by the time he had played down there, we prob couldn't have afforded him in his first 5 years and then prob didn't want him later on. If it suits both parties now I would be happy to have him.

19. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    This! To be honest Fletcher would be a better option all things considered.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  20. Jeremie Frimpong

We have spent millions upon millions on players who, ostensibly, are a poor fit for our 'system'. We spent £2m on Bayo.

We are incredibly wasteful with our resources at times. If we bought quality in the first instance, we would save millions in the long run, and add another dimension to our game.

Andersson is clearly far more than a carthorse; he can play. The ship seems to have sailed with him in any case. Fletcher could be a reasonable alternative for a season or two.

Dublin Celt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.