1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Steven Fletcher

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by verdi-y-blanco, Jan 2, 2014.

Discuss Steven Fletcher in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He’s going to be very useful.

This makes perfect sense getting a good backup in

2. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/spor...-neil-lennon-looks-bolster-attacking-options/

CELTIC are close to agreeing a deal to sign former Scotland international Steven Fletcher, according to reports.

The Daily Record report that the 33-year-old is expected to sign a one-year deal with the Parkhead side after he left Sheffield Wednesday this summer.

Neil Lennon has already spoken of his admiration for the striker, saying: "He is a good player. I am not going to confirm or deny that, I don’t want to talk about individuals.

“We have been linked with a lot of strikers, midfield players, centre halves. There are one or two areas we want to add to because we have let a few players go. We let seven or eight go and we have only added (Vasilis) Barkas to the squad so I think it’s important we bring some quality in, in the areas we are looking for.

“I think it’s the most important position on the pitch. We have had a few injuries and a few absentees in that department so if there is a quality one available and we think it’s the right thing to do, we will pursue it.

“We will take a view on the squad later on down the line.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  3. JamesM09

My feeling on this (pure speculation) is we’re getting him for next to nothing wages wise because he just wants to be in and around the club at this time, maybe with one eye towards coaching later on. Like we think his experience will be useful and he’s not being promised game time or anything.

On the other hand, if we’ve brought him in and intend to bring another striker in, it hints Edouard could potentially be moved on, which is absolutely terrifying.

A new contract for Edouard would be ideal.

seanm likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The record just adding another spin on the suns story

:56:

Celtic are set to seal a deal to bring Steven Fletcher to Parkhead.

Record Sport this week revealed the club had launched talks with the experienced striker - and it’s close to being agreed.

It is understood Celts have offered the 33-year-old a one year deal but the hitman is holding out for a longer contract.

But Hoops boss Neil Lennon is keen on bolstering his attack by adding the ex-Hibs, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday ace and are confident both sides can strike an agreement.

The Scotland star is a free agent and believed to be targeting a return north of the border following a successful decade down south.

The 33-year-old broke through at Hibs and went on to score 52 goals in 189 games for the capital club.

Fletcher has gone on to have a successful career in England, representing the likes of Burnley, Sunderland and Wolves.

He hit 13 goals in 27 Championship games for Wednesday last term but became a free agent when his contract expired.

And he could now be set to make his return to the Scottish top flight as he fills a gap in Neil Lennon's attack

5. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Fletcher has a lot of experience,a good back to our strikers when injuries no doubt will come throughout the season.
    In an attacking team like Celtic he will get plenty of goals when he gets his chance.
    He knows the grounds well and played alongside Broony in a young talented Hibs team....not the signing we all wanted,but I trust Lenny that the lad will do job for us.

seanm likes this.
  6. celtic warrior

Nope.

Don't care he's not worth it at all.

Big Shoes and seanm like this.
  7. Cringer67

assuming this isn't an Eddie replacement, im all for this signing. Hes better than most will give credit for and will score plenty for us. Also offers something in the air an which we are desperately lacking in attack

seanm likes this.
  8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Happy enough to add him to the squad.

No qualms with this at all.

MJ9, StPauli1916 and Mr Shelby like this.
  9. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    This deal reeks of desperation if it’s true, not impressed in the slightest. Signing a has been that’s really never done anything career wise. I’d rather save the wages.

Big Shoes and Tommy25 like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think folk need to stop jumping to conclusions on why we are interested here.

I think 2 strikers will be coming in. Lets just wait and see before sharpening the pitchforks.

Bayo out - Fletcher on a low pay deal is a great move for this season.

As mentioned, with 9 subs and 5 being able to be used, 5 strikers (particularly one who hopefully isn't desperate to play week in week out at this stage) is a good deal. Klimala is raw and Griffiths won't be fit for a full season. So Ajeti and Fletcher could be required.

11. scottbrown8

I dont see how signing an internationalist with plenty experience, played at a high level and scored 1 in 2 in the championship last season reeks of desperation but everyone is buzzing at the thought of Toney who has done nothing exciting in his career

12. scootz

Fletcher strikes me as the sort of player that we might really be needing this season. Can score goals, but more importantly, he has bags of experience and works extremely hard. He's a great foil for the younger talent in the team. We are going to have to fight games out this term!

I don't mind the prospect of this at all... if he's to work alongside Eddie, Griff and Klimala. That, for me, gives an excellent set of attacking options.

I would, however, be * off if he was being taken on to fill a looming Eddie-Sized hole in the squad. Lets not * around this season - if Eddie goes, then we expect very big bucks for him... I would therefore expect a reasonable slice of that income to be spent on his replacement.

We can go back to our (at times frustrating) business model we have next season - no problem... but just not this year please! Cough up and get the 10 done!

Cringer67 likes this.
  13. Foley1888

A lot of speculation that the deals off to sign Fletcher.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This is it..

Surely the board wouldn't just bring in Fletcher up top on his own..

If he was to come in with an Ajeti or Toney type....I'd be delighted. He's already an upgrade on Bayo but it would be underwhelming if he was the only striker brought in with the problems with Griff as well..

Fletcher will deffo do a job for us..

Mr Shelby likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Not happening

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  16. TheHappyLoss

hopefully not, he’s a big coo

17. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Big brian the man in the know :fear: says we have walked away

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  18. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  19. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    This may have focused the minds in the ajeti/ Toney camps.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

20. Foley1888

It will be interesting to see what happens next here, as he was meant to have better deals on the table but wanted to move back up to Scotland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.