1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Good news, hopefully that's the ongoing issue resolved . He will have a big part to play this season,

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Lilac Wine likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Get him back and ready to go.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  3. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Hoping they’ve solved his calf? problem, bhoy does get kicked a lot but playing for the hoops he better get used to assault by hammer-chuckers, hope he’s not another player who misses chunks of each season with niggling injuries

4. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I like Mikey, but, he’s is far too lighthweight and doesn’t really have a bit of dig about him, for want of a better term.

I think of Forrest when the rat was here and his tracking back and defensive work and I couldn’t imagine Mikey putting that sort of graft in.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He has a lot of talent but we need to treat him carefully it seems. Just can't get going.

He's 21 now, will be 22 by the end of this season, coming out of the 'youngster' category in football terms.

CountyDownFaithful and Dan Breen like this.
  6. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Johnston was superb at Ibrox in the 2-0 game in every aspect, backed Boli up on several occasions and tracked Tavernier every time.

Also, Forrest didn’t always have that attitude. In the Deila era my overriding memory of him is sitting down claiming for fouls whilst the other team broke on us.

Rodgers transformed that side of him.

Dannybhoy81 and Dan Breen like this.
  7. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Not as long as I thought it would be, we have enough players to cover until he returns, providing he doesn't breakdown thereafter of course

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye.

Forrest at 21 years old was infuriating. Until Rodgers arrived I'd have been happy to see him go.

Johnston has plenty of development in him.

9. northeast67

Agree just think with his recurring injuries even when he's fit he'll struggle to get mo out the team, build confidence and match fitness with wee 6 month loan, I'd love to see him play every week asap.

10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I’m willing to give him as much time as he needs, mate, but, you can’t be using that as an example of why he’ll be a success here. He’s far too lightweight.

Forrest adapted his game and attitude and became an integral part of every one of the last 10 seasons. I can’t imagine the wee man doing the same but I hope I’m wrong.

11. Cesar67x www.Twitter.com/@GlasgowRebeltm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I wish the boy a speedy recovery and hipe it solves his injury problems but in the mean time we really need to bring someone in in loan or something because who do we have who can play here dembele christie maybe Ntcham 1 is still in development 1 probably starting cam and the other is our back up cam/ holding midfielder

12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Christie and Ntcham are both best through the middle and Dembele is a wee guy. They have absolutely fuckall in common wae Mikey. We have El Younoussi

13. ynwa1987

Hes a special talent we need to take advantage of.

Grit , bite and dig are buzzwords that get flung about in Scottish football all the time but in reality we have plenty of that. What we need more of is technique and finesse.

When we are getting put out in Europe it won’t be because we didn’t have enough dig or bite. Imo that kind of attitude has held us back for too long.

If he can stay fit he will be one of our best players.

The_Bhoy, Lilac Wine and Lewis Kerr like this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's no secret I love him. I think he's an absolutely phenomenal talent and one of the best we've produced for a long time..

His injuries/breaking down are a concern though. He needs some sort of Christie regime for a year or 2 to bulk up/become more of an athlete..

4/6 week's isn't too bad. Sounded like he was gonna be out for 3/4 month's..

Should be eased back in. He'll be a big asset for the 10.. . as long as he stays injury free..

15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Leaves us short of love, very few have the imagination to have a go.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

And as we all know, love is all you need.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I appreaciate Rodgers as a very capable attacking minded manager but I don't like the idea he found Forrest and Broony. Ronny overplayed Broony a player who would have won the Somme, we all knew Jamesy had confidence issues and to attributive to one man I think is wrong. He maybe said the right words but we all knew that's all he needed. I think was actually happened was Jamesy was young and unconfident and as he matured like we all do he found his personality and decided to relax rather rather than panic. Broony was always good so there's no credit there. Rodgers is an excellent manager but he's overrated, not by us, by himself, he * off because he shat it in case he lost the 10 for fear of his reputation and the lost of the room.

Mikey has all the qualities and he wants to play for us. Imagine it all came together for us, size doesn't matter when you have anticipation.

18. Foley1888

I agree here that MJ clearly has bags of ability and I believe as he gets more opportunities will continue to develop.

I do hope he uses the recovery time wisely to work on his strength as that would make him a better player, my only criticism of MJ is that he can be bullied out of a game at times particularly the games with them.

The tactic used against him was to get tight and press him aggressively before he could get turned. With his skills if Mikey had the strength to hold off the full back he could then turn them inside out and take this tactic out of the game either levelling the full back in his wake or having them back off for fear of this happening to them giving Mikey more time on the ball to drive at defences.

19. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Should be back from injury soon, any update?
    Could do with him back as we are thin on the ground left flank.

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Great talent but way too much time oot injured, such a pity.