1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

You also have to consider that as a good example where a sell on worked well. As by the time you add his initial fee and sell on you would have been up near £20m, which at the time in 2015 would have been a big fee even down south.

On Eddy, I wish he would sign the year extension as that would protect his value and mean he would stay this season. However in terms of a fee, if there is genuinely so many clubs interested we should not be selling for less than £40m when we don’t have too.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Transfer fees all have precedents, VVD was scaled off the likes of Forster and Vic as the only other relative examples of big money moves from Celtic to the EPL.

KT has now went for 25 million so Eddy will be scaled off of that - 30 million won’t even be entertained by our Board. He’s in the bracket now of you offer 35 to even get a phone back.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye no way will we entertain 30 now..

He's a 40 mill or above striker that we won't be able to replace for year's. That's how good he is. A top young player that could play for anyone right now..

He could leave for 40 mill and within 6 months we'd be getting told how x,y or z has bumped us and what a bargain he is..

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic legend Chris Sutton has suggested Hoops fans would "burn the stadium down" if striker Odsonne Edouard was sold this summer.

The Frenchman will be high on shortlists across the Premier League and Europe, with former Bhoys boss Brendan Rodgers just one keen admirer at Leicester City.

And Sunday's hat-trick on Scottish Premiership opening weekend will have only reminded everyone of his talents.

But with the historic milestone of 10 In A Row on the line this season Sutton believes he must stay - or else the Parkhead hierarchy will feel the wrath of the supporters.

Speaking on the Record Celtic podcast, he said: “How many times have Celtic had the opportunity to win 10 In A Row and make history?

“We all know that. Imagine the message it sends out to the support this season if Celtic sell their star man, their biggest player.

Odsonne Edouard is aware of what’s at stake. This shouldn’t be a discussion. It doesn’t matter how much money Celtic are offered for Odsonne Edouard. There’s history on the line here.

We’re not asking him to stay for another seven, eight years. We’re asking him to stay for 12 months.

There isn’t a number. It doesn’t matter what’s offered.

“The punters would burn the stadium down if Celtic sold Odsonne Edouard and showed that much lack of ambition.

After 10, things may change, and I think we all understand that, we know Celtic are a selling club but you can’t be a selling club with 10 In A Row on the line.”

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Whilst I agree with Sutton, I absolutely detest that label of ‘selling club’.

There is no such thing as selling and non-selling clubs. Every single player in world football has a price and every single club therefore is a ‘selling club’ if a valuation is met or a player wants to leave. We’re no more of a ‘selling club’ than Barcelona, Manchester United or PSG.

7. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Agree with your post but we need someone to make that offer and if not we run the risk of him not signing an extension and the value dropping. Ultimately we may have to sell for less than that what he is worth

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Strikers with Edouard's quality aren't 10-a-penny. I don't think we're going to be short on suitors, especially if he starts this season on fire in the league and in Europe. But I do get what you're saying. A year's contract extension would protect us a lot.

9. Henke102

Think Edouard wants to stay, but I imagine agents will be twisting his arm if any big offer comes in.

It really is a big gamble for the Board if they do decide to sell him, as it will be a big kick in the stones for the fans, team and management. Unlikely to replace his goals or quality up front, going by never us never replacing Tierney or Moussa for that matter.

Will be gutted like everyone else if he goes, he is a joy to watch

10. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Thats something we deffo agree on.

KT is the latest in line thats done well and getting pludits
    Armstrong and dembele add the likes of VVD and even Foster to an extent has give us more of a profile now to demand top dollar but also to entice players that we are a club you can come to and be loved and develop and we wont stand in the way to potentially move up to another level.

littlekennie and MacEwan like this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We should offer him an extension on £50k a week with bonuses for europe etc etc.

And say you can leave next summer. I've no doubt that it's exactly what we are trying to do, tbh. He's worth the £50k and more to us this season. Just do it. Please for the love of *.

johnno379, Hammy89, Rydo1888* and 4 others like this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

No sleep til October

13. Paradise88

If he HAS to go, make it after the qualifiers and get us into the CL.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. celticdaft238

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song

I'd even push it to offer him £60-£70K a week, this is an exceptional season on the verge of history where all the stops need to be pulled out and we need our best player.

We'll more than make back the wage increase if he's sold next summer.

15. oh bhoy

Don't sell edouard,odsonne edouard I just don't think you understand....

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  16. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I'd be like..mate..you can 100% go in the summer but until then...here's a pay rise..go make history..cos you ain't going anywhere! Also, he's worth (by EPL standards) at least £40m..and we'll get that as well...next season!

celticdaft238 likes this.
  17. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Why October?

Wait... please dont tell me the windows open for another 2 month?

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  18. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Yup!

19. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Holy *... No wonder were looking at 40 strikers.
    Just give him 50k a week and tell him he can go at the end!

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Don’t think the board won’t have attempted that.

If he’s on £30k per week then doubling that only costs us an additional £1.5m over the year. We could easily make ten times that simply by him having 2 years left on his contract, rather than 1, when he leaves.

I don’t think it will come down to money. Honestly I reckon if we get CL football this year he’ll extend his contract, but if we don’t he’ll almost definitely be off.