1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dembele (16-18) or Edouard (18-20)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by mickcfc91, Aug 3, 2020.

Discuss Dembele (16-18) or Edouard (18-20) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Just on the back of the sky presenter asking if Edouard was the best striker we have had post Larsson. I was wondering who would yous pick if you had to choice one on top form?

Both players were/are incredible and two of the most composed strikers weve ever had but i’d go with Moussa. I just think that Moussa would absolutely dominate defenders for fun on his day and was a nightmare to defender against. Even though Edoaurd is a big game player, i always felt that Dembele always had a world class performance (im not saying he was a world class player but certainly performed like that one occasions for us) in him for the big game.

We’ve been so lucky to watch them both and its ashame we didnt get to see more of them together upfront because they could have been the best partnership weve ever had upfront. Styles would have complimented each other so much.

GuttleGob likes this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Eddy for me.

His free kicks along with his cool as fuckness pip Moussa now.

Jax Teller and Random Review like this.
  3. Jeffrey

Eddy is a better player, however he has not yet proven it at the highest level

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Never thought I’d pick Eddy over Moussa, but here we are.

He’s progressed immensely over the last while. The two of them together, now, would be dynamite.

Jhaf and Garrymac1888 like this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

To steal idioms from Lennon, Eddie has more strings to his bow than Moussa and I've said this from early on.

Moussa has more raw power and pace but Eddie has much more class. Better touch, technique, vision, finishing.

We were robbed from seeing them together. They were devastating in the 2018/19 pre-season and I think we would've demolished teams with those 2 upfront.

Random Review and callumrae1967 like this.
  6. Maestro 08

As good as Dembele was Eddy just pips it for me. Dembele had pace and power and was deadly in front of goal. Eddy glides past players, has superb vision and is graceful on the ball. They would make a perfect partnership tbh as they compliment each other very well.

7. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Why are we comparing the two? They were/are both * class in their own ways.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    If it was a one off big game like a CL qualifier i'd probably pick Dembele, both score goals for fun for us but as a #9 Dembele is just a bit ahead, stronger, better in the air, can turn a guy and more of a range of goals and bigger handful for defenders.

Edouard is that quality though that even not being an actual out and out striker and probably more of a Martial, Anelka, Bergkamp or Berbatov type still scores a lot of goals even though hes more of a skilled, dribbling, deeper lying, link up player.

Jhaf likes this.
  9. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    For me Dembele was a better finisher, Edouard the better footballer. The thing is though Eddy is fast closing the gap on the finishing aspect, and I don't think it will be long before he overtakes Moussa there as well, I haven't seen enough of Moussa recently to see if his all round game is improving like Eddy's is.

10. CountyDownFaithful

Edouard without a doubt.

11. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Odsonne Edouard - 127 games 65 goals = 0.51 goals per game includes 11 goals in 29 games in Europe = 0.38 goals per European game
    Moussa Dembele - 94 games 51 goals = 0.54 goals per game includes 8 goals in 24 games in Europe = 0.33 goals per European game

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Not much in it for me, different styles of player and both equally sublime in their own right.

If you had a gun to my head I'd say Edouard though cause be never made a catchphrase hashtag such as #Dembelition

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Dembele, just.

Edouard is about the level of Dembele was when he played, but Dembele done it at that level solid for two seasons. Need Edouard to do it for one more year at the level we know. Plus show it at CL level.

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Eddie

15. Foley1888

Looked a frightening partnership for the 2 or 3 games they got to play together. Dembele’s power and ability to tie up defenders and Eddy’s class movement and quality on the ball. Also the fact they both love a goal too. Pity Dembele was injured so much or we would have smashed AEK and been in the CL that year as well.

16. celtic warrior

Dembele's double against man city was otherworldly, could argue even larsson-esq. It's ridiculous to use one single performance as a reference point but we've not seen that from Eddie yet I don't think.

But my gut is just edging towards Eddie regardless, fuming we never got to see them together.

* would have had every single team in Scotland utterly * themselves.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Édouard can do everything Moussa could and more so for that reason it’s an easy choice.

Eddy is going to be in amongst the elite world class, I have absolutely no doubts about that. As long as he stays injury free.

Random Review likes this.
  18. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It really is a shame that we didn’t get to see them together for a prolonged period. They’d have torn teams apart.

They’re completely different players (arguably the perfect foil for one another) and I think I could make a pretty compelling argument for either.

However at an absolute push if we were heading into a game against the huns or a big European game, I think I’d be taking Dembele. Eddy could really dominate those biggest games this season and prove himself an easy choice though and I also think he will reach a higher level over the course of his career.

GuttleGob likes this.
  19. Cringer67

Not even close anymore for me. Edouard.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’d give Dembele the edge in the air but not sure what else. Edouard for me.