1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

A * *.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  3. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Tory patter “Do we have the resources” :56:

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Probably not big Pedro had to call the bank

MickeyyMack likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GREEK goalie Vasilis Barkas has revealed Georgios Samaras sold him on a move to Celtic.

Barkas sealed his £4.5million move to Parkhead from AEK Athens.

The 26-year-old penned a four year deal to join Neil Lennon’s side.

And Barkas has told how former Hoops hero Sammy urged him to move to Scottish football.

He said: “I spoke with Samaras before I came to Celtic.

“I have a very good friend who is close with Samaras and has a very good relationship with him.

He just said ‘go, don’t even think about it’.

“He told me how Celtic was a very big team and the fans loved the team so much and were crazy about the team. That made my decision easier.

“But I already knew Celtic were a very big club with great fans and a great stadium which has a good atmosphere.

“I think all the players want to play for Celtic.

“But it was good to speak to Samaras. I was able to speak to him because one of my good friends plays for OFI, where Samaras is Sporting Director

I know he is the only Greece player to play for Celtic so I hope to have the same career here that he did because I know he was successful. I want to become a big player here like he was.

Barkas kept 61 clean sheets in 111 appearances for AEK.

He is now in line to make his debut in Celtic’s opening league game of the season against Hamilton Accies on Sunday.

He added: “I think with two more days of training, yes I can play. I don’t feel pressure or something like that.

“Even in AEK, I didn’t feel pressure. I’m working every day to do my job, just like my team-mates, so I don’t feel anything extra.

“I feel comfortable with this and I want to do my job, keep clean sheets and help my team to win.

“I’m so excited and I can’t wait to train with my new team-mates and play my first game.

Vasilis Barkas believes he’s become one of the world’s elite goalkeepers after signing for Celtic.

And the Greek star is now determined to prove himself the best after completing his £5.5 million move from AEK Athens starting on Sunday against Hamilton Accies at the beginning of the club’s bid for Ten in a Row.

completed the formalities on his four-year deal and immediately set his sights on glory domestically and in Europe.

The 26-year-old, who has 10 caps for his country, feels his status has already been elevated just by the fact he has moved to join such a prestigious club.

Barkas feels being the Celtic No.1 will put him in the bracket of the globe’s finest and he’s determined to prove himself worthy of the tag by justifying the faith of boss Neil Lennon.

He said: “When you are the best goalkeeper at Celtic, you are automatically one of the best in Europe and in the world.

It’s one of the biggest teams in the world, so you become one of the biggest goalkeepers, in my opinion.

I want to stay here a long time, a lot of years, and to become the best goalkeeper.

I feel ready to take the next step. I feel very good that my next step is to a bigger team and Celtic is a very good step to help me make my career even better and better and bigger.

“I’m very happy to be here. It’s a dream to come to one of the biggest teams in Europe and I can’t wait to play for Celtic. I’m so excited and I can’t wait to play my first game.”

Barkas has assured Lennon that, if he chooses him to start against Hamilton, he’s ready to go.

The former Atromitos ace is adamant it will not take him long to find his feet.

Barkas played for AEK after the resumption of Greek football from lockdown and insists he’s undaunted by the prospect of stepping straight into the position within days of his arrival.

He said: “I think with two more days training, yes I can play. I don’t feel pressure or something like that.

“Even in AEK, I don’t feel pressure. I’m working every day to do my job just like my team mates, so I don’t feel anything extra.

Barkas also insists the high stakes of the upcoming term are also no additional burden.

Lennon has already laid the importance of this season’s potentially-historic charge to Ten on the line to the Greek international as well as outlining the club’s deep desire to get back into the group stages of the Champions League having not dined at the top table since 2017/18.

[​IMG]

But Barkas says it’s natural to have high expectations and said: “I know already [how big this season is]. I spoke already with the coach and other guys in the team told me, but it is important every year at Celtic.

“They are the biggest team, so every year, they want the championship. I want to win 10 in-a-row and I want to help us get into the Champions League. That’s what I want

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. Jeffrey

Hard to imagine anyone in world football being an improvement on Forster, as ridiculous as that sounds. There are better goalies but some of the performances he gave us along with confidence that every penalty would be saved is very hard to replicate.

Hope the big man is a pler and good from PK’s cos I have a feeling we’re in for a year of them!

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    So he’s on £12.5k a week. Hope he earns it now. :)

Also goes to show how unrealistic Forster on a permanent deal was, this season at least.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing

Agreed with this. Wouldn't swap forster for anybody. It is what it is though. Looking at the positives would be that his youtube vids suggest he has a bit about him, we have the best gk coach to develop him further and the best thing about it is his names not joe hart.

Welcome barkas:ynwacelti

Paul McAuley likes this.
  9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

900k is peanuts to an agent of an international mate. Even for us.

10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    What a bargain this is

11. Jeremie Frimpong

Tory *.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Just read that.recruitment looked a lot better under him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy, jimbobers and Tommy25 like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Big Nicky Bhoy getting the job done.

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Buzzing about this.

Got a feeling he’ll be a star here.

The_Bhoy, Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    See this is what a proper head of recruitment does....extensive homework..

61 clean sheets as well for AEK and an over 50% clean sheet percentage in a tough league. That'll do me..

Tommy25, The_Bhoy, Rydo1888* and 3 others like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

None of this Micky Mouse pish.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: "We're very pleased (with Vasilis Barkas). I think he'll be a very good addition to the squad. He's got a good presence, good size and he's very composed. He's got good reflexes and he's comfortable coming for crosses which is what you want in the Scottish game."

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

2A1C9353-E251-4F7B-A6BF-A55A753323FB.jpeg

He’s a right miserable looking geezer is he not.