1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Aidan O’Shea

Including John. How does he know what Griffiths is feeling?

Callum McGregor likes this.
  2. TheHappyLoss

From what Lenny has said he’s feeling like a bag of chips and a bag of donuts

3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He will turn it around and he will be firing again by October, opens the door for klimala to settle and keep progressing too. If he has the motivation to get back he will clean up at the right time, Lenny knows it too. Griffith's knows what it takes win titles in Scotland, he knows what to expect away to a Motherwell or Kilmarnock on a winter night. I'm not condoning his lack of professionalism but no point cutting off our nose to spite our face here

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Dan Breen and TheHappyLoss like this.
  4. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    thats the situation, often people with mental health use social media as a place to express their feelings, professional or not. You see it every day, social media, forums etc. Mood makes you do crazy things, I can guarantee that there will be a few on these boards write a post in haste because they’ve had a * day or something going on in their personal life that they know isn’t the right way to express yourself but do it anyway.

I think mental health is very misunderstood to many people, but it’s a very complex illness. I feel that unless you’ve been through or know someone that battles with it day in day out truly sees the carnage it causes in people’s lives.

5. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Maybe a lot this comes down to the fact he isnt exactly the brightest of sparks. Can he not see getting involved in social media bullshit isnt the best of ideas. I would have thought a 30 year old man would know better. Needs to wisen up and show some respect to the folk that have stuck by him, turning up unfit for work isnt the way to do that.

Dan Breen and FranceCelt like this.
  6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

And then he'll start picking up niggly injuries again, not put the same work in that others are etc etc. He's 29, just turning 30. He's not going to change.

It wouldn't be cutting off our nose to spite our face. It would be getting rid of a bad influence and a woeful professional. His teammates must be fuming with him, and they should be.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Totally get the good luck mate, also think mental health must be terrible thing and genuinely think majority of fans and team and management have backed him up 100%, think Lennon s main gripe is that he isn’t or hasn’t taking the necessary steps to help the club or himself get over the problem s, staying away from social media and keeping his body and mind healthy with exercise and a good diet

8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    With all of the previous in mind, do you really think this occasion is due to mental health?

I think the issue is, if LG has went back into a dip/lull/downturn then he has to indicate that to the club.

From all the noises made by the club so far, it doesnt appear to be a mental health issue as i dont think Lennon would have went public and dealt with things as he has thus far, if it was. And as previous posters have said, i dont think social media is the best place for a footballer to gather unnecessary attention, let alone one with mental health problems.

I appreciate mental health can be triggered by a variety of factors and that its not something that is tangible or easily measured, but on the same hand the world of professional sports is a ruthless, dog eat dog environment in which athletes every move is subject to scrutiny and analysis.

I dont believe the game of football will change much, and it seems to be that those who are best equipped to deal with injury, set backs, failure, demands, competition etc are the ones who typically succeed. Personally i think more has to be done to educate and nurture young minds in the developmental ages to help them cope with demands of elite level sport and the fame that inevitably comes with it.

edit: what i would add, is that i do feel like the media should be held to account with how heavily they scrutinise and criticise particular peoples lives. Some lives have been completely ruined and exploited.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    The_Bhoy and Noskeil like this.
  9. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He appears to be a very popular player amongst the squad, and very popular amongst the fringe players and academy. I could well be wrong here but this behaviour is built on his mental health problems and not a zero * attitude. The guy knows where the goal is, if it wasn't a 10iar season I'd probably say punt him and buy but it is a 10 IAR and he knows where the goal is and it's a long season to work and get him back

10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I get your point but honestly social media is toxic at the best of times without adding in him playing for us and having mental health problems, it seems he’s been told to give it a rest on it but hasn’t followed the clubs instructions. Every work will have a social media policy so I can’t see us being any different tbh.

Noskeil likes this.
  11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He does seem like a popular guy, well definitely in the past. But Brown and Lenny seem * off at him, so I could see plenty other players feeling the same.

I think you are wrong with that. For years now, and I mean even before he signed for us, he's always had off the field "issues" and found himself in the news for whatever reason. He's clearly just a talented footballer, who isn't very bright and isn't a serious athlete who looks after himself.

Think that's obvious and has been for a long, long time. Plenty of people just overlooked it because they like him.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  12. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Probably cause he was also heavily criticised for his fitness levels during his Celtic career. He also had serious health issues during his time here, just like Griffiths.

I'd say Hartson probably knows more than anyone what it's like to be in Griffith's shoes.

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Think we are fairly in agreement, but we are at where we are at, we've two options punt him for nothing or try turn him around and he may be the difference between a 1-1 draw or a 1-2 win in January away to a Motherwell or Kilmarnock

14. Maestro 08

* *. See when posters are getting tore into Lenny for pulling Griff up you know they're really choking on their own *. He can do all the Open Goal interviews, Tik tok videos, rocky balboa quotes he wants but when you come back to the fold fat as * then that says it all. Less talk more walk Griff. Stop trying to play the fans so you can dodge doing the hard graft. If not it's about time to go somewhere else.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Hoops gaffer will also assess Leigh Griffiths on his return to Glasgow but he insisted he’s not thinking of punting the hitman out on loan to get back up to speed.

Lennon said: “I’m not even considering that at the minute. He’s been coming on but we’ll assess him when we get back.”

16. celtic warrior

This season is his last at Celtic I think. Knowing our luck it will come at the same time as we get some stupid £25mill bid for Eddie and board refuse to release any meaningful funds to allow for proper replacements.

I'm off to bed, enough cynicism from me tonight.

17. Lennon1888

How much weight is he meant to have put on ?

18. Markybhoy

I am very disappointed in him. When the news broke first time round that he was struggling with his mental health, the club supported him and the fans even more so. Nobody turned their back on him or wanted rid. We all wished the best for him and wanted to see him back in a Celtic shirt again.

So to report back overweight for preseason when we are heading into one of the biggest seasons in the club's history is just really unprofessional. And sad to see.

I don't where his head is at, only Griffiths himself will know that, but if football just isn't his top priority anymore then he should be sold. I hope that's not the case but we can't afford to carry any passengers this season. Everyone has to contribute. If he still has the hunger then we need to work with him intensively and get him whatever help he needs in order to be an effective Celtic player once again.

celtic20 likes this.
  19. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He's * up but the truth is we need him. Klimala looks like he will improve this season but he is nowhere near the goal threat of Leigh Griffiths who is a born goal scorer not to mention a very good all round player which was seen with his excellent partnership with Edouard last season. Make no mistake Klimala is not at the same level as Griffiths. As for Bayo, forget it.

Get your * into gear Griffiths you * *, we need you.

Lennon1888 and Dublin Celt like this.
  20. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Fully agree with this, whether he made mistakes or not a fit and firing Leigh Griffith's is too valuable to us. Even bringing in a Weissman is no guarantee he would be as prolific. Light a rocket up Leigh and have him starting to make head way few games in. Edoaurd and klimala can do business in mean time.

Dan Breen and moravcik1888 like this.