1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Another point.

Nobody says the young lads going on the France trip have been “called up to the first team”, but if a player isn’t going he’s been “dropped from the first team”.

Load of *.

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Imagine being baited into slating Celtic players by a biased media who are gonna do everything in their power to disrupt our momentum of 9 seasons...

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Like I said, you used similar language that people used to victim blame Lennon. It’s not a comparison of their situations.

Furthermore, regardless of what you have and haven’t read, the story broke in the tabloids with the same narrative you’ve spent all evening parroting.

Spring Time likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He’s missed several games in his career due to fitness issues. It happens to every player, mainly when returning from injury. The point is, you’re in dreamland if you think pro footballers rigorously stick to low calorie salads 365 days a year. Even the most elite players treat themselves.
    They get recommendations. It’s up to them to follow it. You don’t see anyone slating Ryan Christie for having Frosties for his breakfast during lockdown.
    So you’re aware that he’ll know what he can and can’t eat, yet hound him for having a kebab. You’ll jump on a sensationalist story from the tabloids, whom you know will stir up any Celtic controversy they can, despite not actually knowing the full story.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You said it wasn’t his first mistake, I asked you to provide examples of when else he had let himself, his manager and his club down, other than this current issue, where it’s not even clear what the full story is. You still haven’t given one example.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For the avoidance of doubt, these were your words. I asked for examples of when else he had let himself and the club down, and you ignored it. Then you just repeated that he’s currently on a fitness regime. So again, when else has he let himself, our manager, and our club down?

Or are you going to admit you were talking out of your *?

littlekennie likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

To be fair, Rodgers was continually Griffiths needed to look after his body more than he does. He was constantly breaking down with niggling injuries. Deila also said Griffiths had to be a 24 hour athlete.

It's a recurring theme.

8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I saw Leigh Griffiths at the Asda in East Kilbride about a year ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Tunnocks teacakes in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the teacakes and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each teacake and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by saying "Have you ever seen bendy water?" really loudly.

MacEwan likes this.
  9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He threw his sock tape at a Kilmarnock fan.

A truly appalling incident, where he was rightly made to publicly apologise. Absolute rogue this lad.

Ate a teacake once too. This boy is a disaster. Huge blot on our club.

Dannybhoy81, Marie, MJ9 and 2 others like this.
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That’s not letting himself or his club down. Certainly not in the way it was previously implied.

Not every player is an ultra dedicated model professional, and Griff has still been a first team player across three Celtic managers. If he was that much of an issue he wouldn’t still be here.

As I said in my first post, he’s an easy target because of the perception of him as a ned.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Dannybhoy81 and Marie like this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

Marty McFly likes this.
  12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Anybody with the name smith spelt as smyth has always been from the dark side just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    Exactly were did I mention he couldn't eat kebabs ??? I said he's unfit and probably not because he's ate a couple of Indians or kebabs it would need to a lot more than that. And as for I'm in dreamland if I thought players stuck to the diet given well again I didn't say that . I said that players knew what they can and can't eat and an experienced pro like Leigh also would know what he can and can't do without in relation to his fitness. Any program given by the Nutrition Dept will be designed to suit each individual as I expressed by each player having different metabalisms. Why even mention someone like Christie as well probably one of the fittest players at the club. In recent years, say at least the last 25 anyway I, can't remember any of our players being left behind from a pre season tour because they were unfit. As for my reaction and comments well imo he's let the fans down, especially with the support he's been given over the last 2 seasons or so. This isn't just about the current issue it goes back to Rodgers who also said he had concerns over his fitness so not a one off

14. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Is that right. Main stand row z Section ES2 any Saturday when we're back in the stadium you will find me. And for the name it's a good irish surname so work that one out. Difference is I don't hide my name as I have nothing to hide.

15. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Unfortunately in this day and age and the focus on fitness, stats and the style of play, pressing game, anyone that doesn't work on their fitness or just doesn't have the body to do that will struggle for games. Look at Paddy McCourt. As talented a player as we have seen in a long time yet only managed 88 games in 5 seasons. Its expected that players now are athletes before footballers and its to the games detriment than anything else. Players like Lubo, Paddy lit up Celtic Park but you would never want them tracking fullbacks up the pitch.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Look at strikers like Stokes and Watt, for examples of players who weren’t professional enough to last at Celtic. Griffiths has been a first team player across three Celtic managers and has been a consistent scorer when he’s played. Whatever his issue is at the moment, I believe he’ll get it sorted. Don’t understand why yourself and Ryan have been so desperate to bring him down and spout sheer hyperbole.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He hasn’t let the fans down because he’s missing two friendly matches ffs. :giggle1:

Dannybhoy81 and littlekennie like this.
  18. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Couldn't give a shiny * if he is behind in his fitness right now, as long as he is raring to go when the season starts!

StPauli1916 and littlekennie like this.
  19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It’s been absolute constant through out the day surely no Celtic fan can hate him that much it’s not like he’s a failed player or done the dirty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    See to be totally honest, Griff had never looked like a rip roaring fit footballer for me. But he has always managed to get the job done and come up with the goods time and time again.

He just has that build, stocky, will never be a lean bean like Christie and the like, his calves always look like they are going to burst oot his socks. Shaqiri is a comparison I would make. Another guy who has funnily enough had his share of calf injuries.

I cannot * wait for him to be back on the pitch and firing in some belters and shushing * again (on the park, not online)

PicsArt_07-13-11.31.17.png

Dannybhoy81 and Dalbeth3 like this.