1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    gonnae ask this again. What reports other than the short Celtic statement are you basing this on?

AnnoniOnAnawNoo likes this.
  2. Ryanmcg84

what other details do you or anyone else need?
    Its there in black and white hes turned up unfit to do his job. A squad of 30+ players and he's the only 1 1st team squad member not fit enough to be trusted to play in preseason games. That's an absolute * disgrace for a professional footballer.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with supporting our own but far too many of our supporters give Griffiths a free pass no matter what he does. For a variety of reasons including his mental health he has been missing in action for the best part of 2 and half years. The season he scored 40 goals was 5 seasons ago now. Its time we except he's a liability and a distraction that we don't need anymore.

3. stew37

Have only seen the Celtic statement, and would never waste my time with tabloid articles. Don't understand why anyone does.

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  4. Ryanmcg84

Celtic statement says more than enough

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If.

Him being left out of the tournament in France is disappointing, can’t argue with that. However, mental health issues aren’t always something a person ‘gets over’ then never deals with them again. We don’t know if that’s a factor here, but again, there’s been a huge overreaction based on a tabloid story.

There’s that “free pass” myth again. If he got a free pass then he wouldn’t be coming under so much scrutiny at the moment.

Is Griffiths the only pro athlete to ever make a mistake? Of course not. Doesn’t mean he should be hounded out of the club.

A liability and a distraction? Someone we don’t need any more? Couldn’t disagree with that any more strongly tbh, mate. Griff was an important player for the latter half of the season and his partnership with Edouard was very promising. I’d love to see more of it this coming season. I think anyone wanting rid of him for a fitness issue is being daft. He is guaranteed to score goals domestically. We could fill a full 11 plus subs of * strikers we’ve had in the past 15 years, so I wouldn’t be so quick to chuck a good player out the door.

Don’t think anyone is saying he hasn’t made a mistake, he should be up to the standard that the club sets, but any level of common sense would dictate that we don’t jump to conclusions.

AnnoniOnAnawNoo and StPauli1916 like this.
  7. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    My thoughts exactly mate, jumping right on the bandwagon based on very little.

8. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic song, the best ever
    I will answer again then. Celtic fc reported that Leigh was being left at Lennoxtown to do his own fitness work. The only other squad members not there Mikey Johnston, still rehad, Hendry and Ralston. Both Ralston and Hendry were both told they could find clubs. Leigh came back UNFIT no mention of overweight. If you honestly think that Lenny has left him out because of a couple of kilos overweight then your miles away from it. He didn't even get to Loughbourgh that's how badly this has been taken by Lenny. And also imo it's a bit of a punishment, missing games and not being involved in the squad also. When I hear Sutton also commenting on it I'm pretty sure he's heard more than the average fan about it. This isn't his first training issue as he was also criticised by Rat Rodgers on his training issues so he does have a bit of previous. But hey if it's cool with you then fair enough. But if Lenny can't trust him he may feel a parting of the way may come

9. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Leigh Griffith's will have a big season for us this year and people will totally forget this storm in a tea cup...* the papers and any ex pro lining up to criticise him imo

Zanderama likes this.
  10. Ryanmcg84

But its not a fitness issue mate it's a trust issue. He's 30 years old, he's suppose to be one of the senior members of the squad.
    It's also not his 1st mistake or 1st time he's let himself, his manager and the club down either.
    And its certainly not a myth there's plenty of folk on here and on social media jumping to his defence here when he is completely indefensible.
    Yes he showed promising signs that he was getting back to a level we havnt seen in best part of 3 seasons but in all honesty it was a 6 or 7 game spell against teams in bottom half of the table. That's been all he's contributed in 2 and a half years. He's been paid an absolute * ton of money the last 3 seasons for very very little in return. His contract is up next year I guarantee you there is not 1 person on that board looking at their return the past 3 years and thinking hes deserving of a new deal.

Scott smyth likes this.
  11. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't think anyone will ever doubt Leigh has the ability, because he has. But he has missed the best part of 2 seasons between injuries and mental health issues. In that period the club has looked after him, financially and emotionally, and backed him. 100%. Now he has came back unfit, whether thats overweight or just fitness in general we don't know, and for a experienced pro that's very poor if that's there's no dispute. But where do u draw the line. Lenny has felt its too much this time by leaving him at Lennoxtown training with the youths and development squad. Even at that there's guys like Karamoko, Welsh, Mcinroy all away so it's really the youths. That to a 1st teamer is always a downer and Lenny will know that. Imo I think this is his last chance now and if he can't see that then he needs to go as Lenny need players he can trust.

12. Scott smyth

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mikael lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I agree 100% with that. In this day and age the fitness of players is monitored almost daily and what they can and can't eat and drink is advised. And if the player can't be trusted to do that then what does the manager do. Ignore it then what's the point of fitness work or deal with it and show an example. That's exactly whats happened. And the fact the club actually commented on it shows that there is something not right

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Lost of opinions here with * all facts to back it up..

The sqaud have been constantly monitored by the sports science team throughout lockdown. So I don't think any players will be allowed to slip too far fitness wise..

There could be lots of reasons as to why he's been left behind.

Need to trust Lenny to manage it..

And I'm glad I don't work with some of you.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Celtic’s statement states he’s at Lennoxtown on a personal fitness program. Whether it’s an issue of trust or not, we don’t know.

Not yet.
    What are all these times he’s let himself, his manager and his club down? Other than this current issue.
    Defending someone, or taking into consideration we don’t know the full story, is not giving someone a free pass.
    He was out for a season and a half for reasons we all know about, no point repeating it.

Last season he had 29 appearances and 11 goals. Decent return for a backup striker who was out for a period.

His next contract will depend on how he performs this season and that would largely be the case regardless of what had happened previously.

15. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    stop after “ do his own fitness work”. That’s what we know. Nothing more. The rest is assumption and opinion and conjecture mate. IF what you’ve said is true then yeah, it’s poor. IF. Same as IF he’s left behind because he needed a bit more conditioning, or maybe had a slight strain then you getting so worked up is pointless. We have seen far too many examples of media nonsense on our players that I will stick to what I hear from the club. And so far, it’s been one statement that proves or disproves * al.

16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Could have been his cheat night diet wise no one knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    But what? You’re not trying to blame him for injuries and mental health issues are you? Rhetorical question because that would be stupid.

Which is the bare minimum I’d expect of any employer.

Like you just said, we don’t know. Lennon will make his decisions on team selections and we’ll wait and see if he features or not.

18. Ryanmcg84

The 1st week back at training? Doubt it

He drove 25 miles the opposite direction to get a kebab in his training gear. Its embarrassing behaviour

If it had been that fat * Morelos we'd all be ripping the pish

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In Larsson’s book he states he watched what he ate but still treated himself to a burger now and again. Thank * the forum diet police weren’t around then. :giggle1:

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He isn’t the only first team player left behind though Johnstone was aswell ... don’t say he isn’t a first team player he started in important games last season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk