1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dáibhí, Jul 13, 2014.

Discuss The NFL Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Firstly I will say that the he is entitled to go out and look for the best deal he can get financially for himself. Having said that to announce a deal like this when unemployment levels in the US are at the worst level since the great depression, millions have lost what passes for health insurance in the US etc is pretty tone deaf to put it charitably. Now again in fairness to the player the way the contract seems to be structured there is very little change he will actually get paid $500m that is being touted so I am not jumping on the player's case again he is entitled to get the best deal for himself he can. But I am more making the point this is a classic example of the US mentality that money comes before people given the way this deal is being announced and portrayed in the midst of a brutal economic recession.

jake10, Overkill187 and Markybhoy like this.
  2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I would contest this is the same the world over with sports stars, look at the state Spain, Italy and the U.K. are in but football players are on mega money. What I will say is if they are on a higher tax they are contributing back into the economies of said countries.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That is a fair point in general about top sports stars around the world. My main point about this though was the timing and nature of how it is being touted in the midst of mass unemployment and a brutal recession which IMHO speaks to the US mentality of money over people. Now no question that a money over people mentality exist in large portions of the world but IMHO it is especially bad in the US.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  4. Markybhoy

Are we all still confident there will be an NFL season?

I was feeling optimistic a few weeks ago but this latest wave of coronavirus across southern America has kinda made me doubt how realistic a prospect it is.

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The problem is that it is far too late. They didn't want to despite knowing it was offensive and refused to change it until Nike and Amazon pulled their merchandise and others such as Pepsi threatened to pull sponsorship.

Marty McFly likes this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I would say yes there will be because your talking like a decent normal human being. However the US is not run by people who care about others. Money comes before people here so the games will go on. No fans in the stadiums probably but the games will go on at least that is my prediction. Just look at the insane and inhumane behaviour of the Republican governor of Florida who just broke the record in the US for the most amount of cases in a day yesterday smashing the previous best by over 2,000. He still is not mandating mask wearing in public and still won't close things. He just doesn't care about people he only cares about making money.

8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No fans in New Jersey this season

Statement says until further notice mind...

s'escocès! likes this.
  9. s'escocès!

NFL should just announce that the whole season is going to be in empty stadiums.
    Already going to be near impossible to make it work with the huge squads and personnel NFL teams have without adding thousands of fans and hundreds of stadium staff and security into the mix.

10. Markybhoy

It just doesn't seem like it's gonna work. Specifically with offensive and defensive linemen. Once these guys get down to business in the trenches there is going to be sweat, spit, and blood everywhere. All it takes is for one offensive lineman to contract the virus and the whole offensive line could be down with it for the following week's game. What does a team do then?

I have no doubt that both players and owners will be factoring in finances when making their decisions about whether to play or not, but they also need to consider the quality of the product they will be serving up to the public. No preseason, empty stadiums, and players not really keen to come into contact with their opponents, could make for some pretty ugly football.

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I totally agree with you in everything your saying there. The only thing though that will stop the games going ahead is if a large number of the players say no. The owners have never given a * about the players safety and health. They want their TV money so they will do anything and everything they can to make sure the season goes ahead. Again this is American where money and profit matters and people and their safety and health do not.

Markybhoy likes this.
  12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’ll greet if it doesn’t go ahead. The break between seasons is long enough as it is.

13. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
  14. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Oops wrong thread, lost my specs thought that flag said Jets

s'escocès! likes this.
  15. Markybhoy

Ditto.

MacEwan likes this.
  16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Screenshot_20200725_175311.jpg

Good to go by the looks :50:

MacEwan likes this.
  17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Marty McFly likes this.
  18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Adams being traded to Seattle

Not sure how I feel but glad the drama will come to an end.

Lost a lot of respect for the guy, but * me the Jets are a * show at times. I like Douglas though, don't wanna be here, then beat it :58:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    s'escocès! likes this.
  19. s'escocès!

Got a decent amount for him as well. When he actually started criticizing Gase and Douglas openely to Manish Mehta the writing was on the wall.
    You just have to hope the Jets do well with the two first rounders.

20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

These allergies man. The video they posted won’t embed but it had me going:55: