1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gavin Strachan

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jun 22, 2020.

Discuss Gavin Strachan in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Pair of proper Copa's good enough for me, rather this than an O'Dea,McManus etc,

2. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Strachan rivals MON for me Euro results wise. Often brilliant manager like Lennon in his first spell in the Champions League.

3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    :56:

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Looks like Garry Parker

callumrae1967 likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Meh, neither here nor there on the guy.
    Lennon picked a decent bunch last time around, trust him here.

Would have rathered a more exciting "name" Duff we fans knew what we was getting, Strachan, not got a clue, couldn't get excited or not by this one.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THIS week, Celtic welcomed the appointment of Gavin Strachan as first team coach following the departure of Damien Duff earlier this month. The former Peterborough United assistant manager joins Neil Lennon and John Kennedy in the Hoops dugout, and has spent this week meeting and working with the players at Lennoxtown.

The 41-year-old has in turn been impressed with the fitness levels and work-rate of the squad, and savours the challenges that lie ahead – not least competing for a 10th successive league championship in the forthcoming campaign.

“The standards are high, I can see that from certain individuals already and that’s great to see,” said Gavin Strachan in an exclusive interview with Celtic TV. “They’ve got a great team ethic that’s used to excellence and winning, and I just want to be a part of that if I can.

“My remit is, obviously, all about winning. At a club like Celtic, that’s expected. But there’s also a development side to it as well. We are very keen to develop our own players, and that’s a big part of my background in coaching and that’s something that I’m very keen to do here. The challenge is to align that within a winning culture and a winning philosophy.

“I’m delighted to have joined to the club, to have got the deal done and to have got cracking at Lennoxtown. It’s been a bit of a whirlwind, but it was good to see the quality of the players and the coaching staff today. I’m really determined to help the guys achieve their objectives.”

Celtic’s new first team coach now can’t wait to hit the ground running when the Scottish football calendar kicks off, and likewise looks forward to putting his own imprint on the champions’ style of play.

He added: “I hope to be myself, and add ingredients to the management team. Everyone has got their own characteristics, and hopefully me being myself will be a positive addition to that team. You have to challenge yourself, you’ve got try and come out of your comfort zone, which is clearly what I’m doing.

“It’s not lost on me just what an important year it is. I could have shied away from that and carried on with a job that was comfortable and I was very happy with. But I’m really motivated and excited by the challenge ahead.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC’S new first team coach Gavin Strachan has hit the ground running at the club’s Lennoxtown Training Centre this week, and now can’t wait to roll up his sleeves in domestic and European competition when those fixtures come around.

When his father Gordon was manager of the Scottish champions between 2005 and 2009, he sampled a number of big games at Celtic Park and on the road – not least a historic 1-0 Champions League win over Manchester United at Paradise in 2006, and an equally important 1-0 league title-clinching victory over Dundee United at Tannadise in 2008.

“I was lucky enough to be there on some of the big nights during that period,” Gavin Strachan told Celtic TV, in reference to when his dad led the Hoops from the dugout.

“I was lucky enough to have been there the night that Nakamura scored the free-kick against Manchester United in 2006, and also Vennegoor of Hesselink’s header against Dundee United to secure the title in 2008, so I know the atmosphere, I know what it means to everybody, so I’m just excited to bring more of those nights to the club and to the fans.

“I think that’s the motivation for anyone joining the club, to be part of those big nights. Feeling the stadium when it’s like that is such a pull and such an exciting part of anyone involved in football.

“The way that Celtic’s season pans out means that there are really big challenges early on in the season. It’s not like down the road where you get time to bed into the season, up here you’re right into it. Plus, there are the challenges of COVID protocols at present. I’ve only been here for a couple of days, but I can see that everybody is fully-aligned and up for those challenges.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Welcome, experienced and speaks well..

Good addition..

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agree but there's plenty of players who get great experience from their dads like Ryan so he could be potential.

Tommy25 and Peej like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. DonnyCelt

How long have the seats in the main stand next to the tunnel been white?

Attached Files:

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GAVIN STRACHAN insists Celtic’s trip to France for pre-season will be the perfect bonding session ahead of their 10-in-a-row bid.

The Hoops have agreed games against Lyon, Nice and a glamour friendly against French champions PSG during their pre-season camp.

And Strachan, who recently replaced Damien Duff as first team coach at Parkhead, reckons the trip away will be the perfect opportunity for Neil Lennon’s side to prepare for the long and hard season ahead.

He said: “The way the world is now, and with everyone so isolated for so long, any chance to get people together and spend quality time together, is something that we’re all looking forward to. We’re lucky that we’re able to do that.

I’ve already seen a great spirit amongst the players already so to go away and cement that even more, ahead of what’s going to be an important season, is something that we feel is important.

“It’ll be good for me too, although it’s amazing how comfortable I feel already. It’s only been ten days of actual training so far but I feel like I know all the guys quite well already. But this is a chance to solidify all that.

“But for the players it’ll help them mentally after everything that’s been going on in the world. It’ll be good for the camaraderie and the bonding after everyone has been isolated for so long.

“It’ll be good for everyone’s mental health as much as anything.”

Strachan has now been in his new role a week and with the players having returned to full contact training, he is starting to see the quality on show in the Hoops dressing room.

He continued: “Having come in from the outside, and having seen how everyone works, there is a real continuity there.

“I’m talking about the training sessions, the routines, the standards and the discipline. You can see it’s a well-oiled machine. I’m just finding my place within that.

"It's been great, I've really been enjoying it. I think for anyone joining a new club of this magnitude, in these times, would tell you it's a bit of a whirlwind. You need to get used to a new way of working.

But everybody has made me feel extremely welcome. The players and the staff have been excellent and as the days have gone by I've been able to do what I do. The players have been able to figure out what I'm all about and that makes it a little bit easier.

“It was the same in my first days at Doncaster and then Peterborough.

“Wherever you go and work there is always trepidation. Clearly it’s magnified here when it’s a club like Celtic. But once you get working and do what you do it’s just football.”

Strachan also revealed that he completed a degree in journalism before following in his father’s footsteps into football coaching.

He added: “My thinking was that I was getting to the end of my career at Notts County. I had had lots of injuries and had to think about what I was going to do at the end of my playing career.

“So I did a degree in journalism and enjoyed it. I just found out that when I stopped playing there weren’t as many opportunities as I had expected.

“I then thought about being a coach, although I wasn’t sure if I’d like it. But I lived it and that’s the direction I decided to go. I haven’t looked back.”

Tommy25 and Rydo1888* like this.
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sounds like a clever guy with a big picture brain. Press conferences will be interesting as he'll be the only person in the room with a degree in journalism.

14. oh bhoy

what does this guy do on a daily basis twiddle his * thumbs. obviously an old pals appointment

15. DonnyCelt

* appointment. Obviously offers * all

16. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Lennon's good friends with his Da. It's that simple

17. Maestro 08

Covertly tries to get his old man back in the hot seat.

oh bhoy likes this.
  18. oh bhoy

hes doing an amazing job !

Maestro 08 likes this.
  19. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song

I think Lenny is doing a good job on that issue ?

Maestro 08 likes this.
  20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    He got a journalism degree. Cool, he know anything about football?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk