1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

David Marshall

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Apr 6, 2020.

Discuss David Marshall in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Would be a pish replacement for Forster. Cheap option.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Would be really disappointed if this was the Forster replacement.

4. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Lawwel taking a full pinger at this news.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd like us to be a little more ambitious that Marshall.

He's on a similar level to Bain IMO, which of course isn't bad but we've seen the difference of that extra quality in both games v Lazio and in the League Cup Final.

If it's not going to be Forster, I'd like us to be thorough in looking for as close to his level as possible, not settling for the cheap and convenient option of Marshall.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’d welcome him back. Always liked him.

7. dmccourt95

Is he better than Bain?

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC goalkeeping target David Marshall is understood to have been offered a quick deal from another English Championship club as administration-hit Wigan look to get players out the door.

The Scotland internationalist is one of a number of keepers that the Parkhead side have looked at following the departure of Craig Gordon to Hearts last week and the end of Fraser Forster’s season-long loan deal.

AEK Athens and Greek stopper Vasilios Barkas has also been the subject of an enquiry from Celtic.

Forster was understood to be the main target of the Parkhead side although with the Englishman preferring the option of a permanent deal it remains unclear whether something could be agreed with Southampton.

St Mary’s manager Ralph Hasenhuttl held discussions with Forster earlier this week but seemed to re-ignite speculation that a deal could yet be done to allow the player to leave.

“We have not decided what we do next season with our plans in this direction,” said Hassenhuttl when asked about Forster yesterday afternoon.

“Of our loan players, some did a very good job there and it’s also clear that loan players don’t want to go again on loan.

“Normally they want to go permanently somewhere and we will find the right solution for every player in the summer. When the right moment is to discuss it, then we do it.”

9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I reckon so.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STOKE CITY are poised to beat Celtic to the capture of David Marshall.

Potters gaffer Michael O’Neill has tabled an offer for the Scotland keeper after his club Wigan went bust last week.

That could now force
    Hoops boss Neil Lennon to act swiftly or risk losing out.

Lenny is reeling after No 1 target Fraser Forster
    opted against a new season-long loan move from Southampton

Forster is
    holding out for a permanent deal at Parkhead, which right now looks beyond the nine-in-a-row champions.

That news immediately put Marshall in the frame for a return to Parkhead.

It’s understood that the 35-year-old is keen on the move but as yet there has been no bid from Celts.

And Stoke’s firm offer could see them gazumped.

O’Neill’s current first choice Jack Butland is believed to want out at the end of the extended 2019-20 season and the Potters are willing to sell him for a decent fee.

At least one other English side are thought to be in the running to land Marshall, who has 33 Scotland caps and played 50 games for Celts before leaving for Norwich. He has also since starred for Cardiff and Hull.

Lennon is still holding out hope for a change of heart from Forster, who has two years left to run on his £90,000-a-week contract at Saints.

Forster, 32, would cost a minimum £5million fee, while it would also require the St Mary’s outfit to give to their third-choice keeper a massive pay-off to compensate him for facing a basic wage cut of more than 50 per cent.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Stoke beat us to signing Marshall..

Aye right..

12. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Is O’Neill just after every player we’re linked with this summer hahah. Wouldn’t mind us missing out on Marshall. Try get FF in then have a 3 of hazard, Bain, FF. loan out doohan again

13. CMacgregor93

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You Never Walk Alone
    Forster is really determined to get into Southampton. Puzzled as to why when his quality could be good for other clubs. Aside from Celtic, but part of me wonders why the likes of Arsenal wouldn't take an interest given that Leno is out with an injury. Just saying.

Marshall coming back would be nice even if many argue his quality has dimished or not on the same level as FF. That or we can go for a young keeper with the potential to go onto great things ala VD.

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Marshall gives me the absolute fear

He reminds me of black Sunday season

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DAVID MARSHALL has revealed he’d love an emotional return to Celtic this summer.

The Scotland No 1 looks to be on his way out of Wigan after their relegation from the Championship.

Celts splashed out £4.5million on Greek goalie Vasilis Barkas, with Scott Bain as back-up.

But asked if a move back to his first club appeals to him, Marsh, 35, said: “Of course it would. I think it would interest any player.

But to a Celtic fan growing up, and someone who played there as a youngster coming through, it would be a massive thing for me.

“I’ll just need to see how it all pans out.

"I haven’t heard anything from Celtic, but I’ll always have that affinity with them and it would be great if it happens.”

Marshall was linked with a move back to Celts after Fraser Forster opted to stay at Southampton and Craig Gordon was shown the door.

He’s certain to quit the Latics, who he joined from Hull in 2019, after their 12-point penalty for going into administration saw them relegated.

Marshall said: “With Craig and big Fraser leaving Celtic, there was talk of me going there.

“The administration at Wigan happened and people were putting two and two together.

Celtic have obviously now signed the boy Barkas from Greece, losing two keepers and bringing one in.

“I don’t know if they’re looking for another one.

“I saw Scott Bain played on Sunday against Hamilton and he’s had another year’s experience of playing at Celtic.

“I’m pretty sure they would be happy to go with the two goalies they have at the club now.

“I don’t know too much about Barkas. I know he played against Celtic for AEK in Europe.

“But I’d be lying if I said I had seen him play, so it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Bainy played against Hamilton and I think the Greek league has been shut down for a while.

“Barkas has got a lot of experience and as an international player it’s a good signing.

“He’s a good age too. He’s got his best years ahead of him, so I’m sure it will turn out to be good business by Celtic.”

Marshall reckons Bain, 28, will have expected to see Celts sign a new goalie, but expects he’ll now consider his future at the champions.

He said: “With Craig and Fraser leaving, Bainy would always have been expecting someone else to come in.

“He probably wasn’t expecting to sign for Celtic, but he’s done really well and got involved with Scotland.

“Having had that taste of it, it’s difficult to take a step back.

But Stevie Woods is a really good goalkeeping coach, so whatever happens, Scott will be better off for the experience he’s got now.

“If he’s not playing games then it will maybe come to the stage where he wants to play.

“But at a club like Celtic you’re always going to have two really good keepers, if not three.”

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Would take him as no2/challenger to Barkas. I like Bain, but Marshall is more experienced and a more assured keeper.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Would make sense as long as he didn't want a lot..

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Really don't see the point. Barkas, Bain and Hazard is enough.

Rydo1888*, The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I’d take him and move Bain back on loan to hibs I like Bain but we need a more assured back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    At this moment in time Bain is a better keeper than marshall, would be a random and stupid signing