1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ancestry / DNA / Genealogy

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Lyonniste, Jun 17, 2016.

Discuss Ancestry / DNA / Genealogy in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lyonniste Olimpico Liyonês

Thanks to genetics, we can know our ancestral composition but also of what people had our paternal and maternal ancestor.

It is possible to trace the history of the settlement of Europe, thanks to the haplogroups that the father is transmitted to son and from mother to daughter and son. Here you can find all the cards: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/origins_haplogroups_europe.shtml

Northeast of the Black Sea, the haplogroup I is divided: one part goes north and descends Scandinavia and Germania (I1); the other will populate blkans and part of Western Europe (I2).

In Georgia, some carriers of group G is spreading to Europe via Turkey today.

The North Caucasus, R1a extends from Russia to Poland. R1b which was further south moves to the Danube, back and invade Western Europe.

I1: Scandinavia
    I2: Balkans
    G: Georgia
    R1a: Eastern Europe
    R1b: Western Europe

And me ? I did the test with 23 and Me going back to a recent genealogy (5 centuries great max). My paternal ancestry is I1, while maternal ancestry is H1, the majority maternal haplogroup in Western europe which is associated with R1b. 38% of Franco-German DNA (not possible to dissociate), 16.5% of DNA Anglo-Saxon, which confirms my German ascndance. Italian 4.2% and 0.1% Scandinavian.

With the test Geno 2.0 (National Geographic) an older genealogy, it gives 65% in Southern Europe and 34% in Scandinavia. For haplogroups I1-Z138 and H1e1a.

And you ?

You can contact at 23 and Me, or better, the Genographic Project, but it is more expensive (that said they recovered more than 742,000 samples worldwide ...). There are others, but a little less pertinants.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  2. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
  4. Lyonniste Olimpico Liyonês

Haplogroups, friend.

5. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    [​IMG]

jake10 likes this.
  6. Minimalist

This is great Lyonniste. I have never tried Haplogroups before but im just recently finished my going through the genealogy site ScotlandsPeople.Gov and found out which generation of my Irish descent came over in Scotland and I wasn't surprised, the family weren't talking * after all :icon_mrgreen:. Costs are fortune if any one on here is willing to go through it as you buy credits to open up and print birth and death certificates. It's incredible but worth it in the end.

It sounds cheap that its going for £125. Do they store your information?

7. Los Palmas 7 something strange happened Gold Member

8. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
  9. Lyonniste Olimpico Liyonês

Oh la la la ! I completely forgot this thread.

There have been improvements since then.

[​IMG]

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I have never gone that far with the DNA test but did do the Ancestry one. Confirmed I'm pretty much Scottish and Irish with a bit of Scandinavia thrown in. I joined an Irish sub forum on Family Tree DNA and all the halop chat etc confused the life out of me so I haven't got more involved.

I've focused on my genealogy research and its been fascinating and a fantastic way to spend time in lockdown. I've used

Ancestry
    FamilyTreeDNA
    Scotland's People
    Family Search
    Freecen

Going to be registering for a 24 hour stint on an Irish site when I feel I have enough facts to go on, the lack of free records and the general lack of records is a big stumbling block. I'm absolutely intrigued with family history now and it's great to know addresses, occupations, churches, graveyards, immigrations, ship manifests and so much more. So many places I want to visit now after all this lockdown is well and truly done.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A cousin of mine got really into our family tree and gave copies to everyone in the family. Basically on my Dad's side it goes back to Donegal, my great grandparents being the last to hail from there before my Grandad was born in Uddingston. Not sure about my Mum's side but as far as I know it's all Scottish. I've never bothered with the commercial DNA tests as they only check a certain amount of your genome, and using different companies can show up discrepancies in your results, depending on which sequence of the genome they test.

"When it comes to ancestry, DNA is very good at determining close family relations such as siblings or parents, and dozens of stories are emerging that reunite or identify lost close family members (or indeed criminals). For deeper family roots, these tests do not really tell you where your ancestors came from. They say where DNA like yours can be found on Earth today. By inference, we are to assume that significant proportions of our deep family came from those places. But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning. We all have thousands of ancestors, and our family trees become matted webs as we go back in time, which means that before long, our ancestors become everyone’s ancestors. Humankind is fascinatingly closely related, and DNA will tell you little about your culture, history and identity."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-accurate-are-online-dna-tests/

Articles like the one linked above are why I'd trust my family tree more than commercially available DNA tests, for determining ancestry.

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agree mate, I was sceptical myself but thought why not. However, the DNA test I did through ancestry gives you matches and tells you how much cM you share and across how many segments. From that you have an estimate of how close an ancestor you are.

It's been really useful as I've been now been in touch with about 10 or so 3rd or 4th cousins out of the 180 close matches that have helped piece more of my tree together. It's fascinating stuff. So whilst it is a bit vague for proper going back in time, it really does have its uses :50:

To substantiate the point made by your article, it says I have 36,000 distant matches :56:

Callum McGregor likes this.
  13. Lyonniste Olimpico Liyonês

Do not trust these articles too much. There are several companies with varying accuracy. The best are 23AndMe and AncestryDNA (especially for the British, for the latter).

14. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can a mod change the thread title maybe, please?

Ancestry / DNA / Genealogy

@packybhoy @Marie

packybhoy and Marie like this.
  15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cheers :50:

Marie and packybhoy like this.
  16. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    I done my Family tree a few years back, it's a fascinating and addictive way of passing the long winter nights, i used Scotlands People mostly as you get to view the actual register of the certificate (birth, death, marriage, census ) you're looking for, you can also find where your ancestors are buried and who they share the grave with. I found my maternal relations were from Donegal and Cavan/ Tyrone, I can't find a definite county for my Paternal ancestors as there's no mention of a county on any certificate only Ireland as a place of birth on Census entries, maybe next year when the Census returns for 1921 are released.

bagforlife and Marty McFly like this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have you tried rootsireland.ie mate?

I'm gonna sign up for the 24 hours, £13 but it's meant to be really good I've heard. Ive definitely got as far as I can on the Irish side using everything elsem

18. Johniebhoy.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Johnny thompson song
    I've tried a few Irish sites, but the problem i have is a starting point i.e. a county, also my great grandfather had a very common surname which makes it more difficult to pin down any kind of info on him, Irish counties are also divided into townlands of which can run into the hundreds depending on the size of the county, so without a documented location it's near impossible to get a start. another great source i find is Rootschat, it's a genealogy forum that covers a huge range of subjects and the users are a very helpful bunch and very knowledgeable on all things ancestral.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm just acknowledging that commercial DNA tests don't tell you exactly where your ancestry is from.

Johniebhoy. likes this.
  20. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I started using Ancestry about a month ago, really interesting stuff. It was a pity one of my aunties had done it earlier so she had done all the real work really and it was already traced out.

Got as far back as 1700 something with some endings in there.

Johniebhoy. likes this.