1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Furlough info

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by strachansdaman, Jun 14, 2020.

Discuss Furlough info in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. strachansdaman

Lads I'm furloughed,if I accept another job and when my current employer asks/tells me to go back and I say afraid not iv got another job what will/could the consequences be?what's the best way to do it? Do i go back for 1 day then walk out or what?

2. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    Just hand in your notice as you would do normally.

Peej likes this.
  3. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    contact your current employer and tell them your terrified of catching the virus and will feel safer when they have a cure.
    now, your employers maybe offer you a pay off to leave as they will need to put you on sickness benefit for * knows how long, or they will just tell you not to come back and fire you.
    either way it's a win win for you.

4. strachansdaman

Yeah but i cant work my notice if I'm working elsewhere?they will probably guess I'm working elsewhere when I say I'm not coming back but will there be any financial penalties for taking the furloughed money whilst I have no intention of going back

5. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
    You can take a 2nd job whilst furloughed (but you will be on BR tax rate with 2 salaries), i wouldnt do anything yet,your employer may make you redundant after furlough is over so accept the pay out,worst case scenario if they contact you and say come back to work just give the required notice. win win

Peej likes this.
  6. belbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley...the shebeen version
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Would somewhat depend on what his contract with current employer states. Most request a week-2 week notice, but generally what can they do if you quit on the spot anyway? But be careful there isn't some weird small print in there that could see them recoup any money owed in some way (doubtful since furlough the government would be paying him in principle).

That said, really what is the worst they can do?

As @BathBhoy says though, just quit your job as normal.
    Hand in your notice - give the 2 weeks (or what ever is required) you will still be paid as you are for that notice - enjoy the last couple weeks on your * and start the new job.

There could be a risk argument to keep the second job on and make sure you have secured the work and the new job isn't likely to ditch you in a few weeks - but as @belbhoy says, you'll be running two jobs and be taxed accordingly.

TL/DR:
    Just quit your current job with a notice period as you normally would.

belbhoy likes this.