1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone on here, really like/enjoy their job?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Cupid Stunt, Jun 5, 2020.

Discuss Anyone on here, really like/enjoy their job? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cupid Stunt

I'm looking for inspiration as I'm coming across all sorts of jobs online at the minute, but nothing really jumps out.

I know I don't want to do what I am currently doing for any longer than I have to, it was the first permanent job that came along whilst I was temping and with kids and a mortgage I needed the security.

I'm not obsessed by money, which is why I don't particularly like my current job, people are just walking pound signs and that just doesn't suit my nature at all, however, I know I wouldn't have the stomach for support work and such like.

I look at jobs like accountancy and think it sounds like a great career choice, but seriously * boring, however, that may just be my own ignorance on the subject, which is why I'm asking, as someone may do something that sounds awful to me but they love it and it would be good to be as open-minded about as many different jobs as possible.

This may also help other people as I know for younger folk and older folk alike, deciding what you want to spend a huge chunk of your life doing is excruciating. It may also be nice for guys who do like their work to remind themselves why and others to think of some of the positives of their work as well and I bet some people must have some really interesting jobs..

So, if you like your job, what do you do and why do you like it? What experience/qualifications did you need to get started?

Maestro 08 likes this.
  2. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm a first responder and I love it.

3. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke,Lubo,Petrov,lambo,Hooper,Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Worked as a petrol pump attendant at school, then qualified as a flooring fitter at 19. I fell ill with severe tonsillitis and had to undergo retraining after losing 2 stone and spending 2 weeks in hospital.

Afterwords I spent 11 years in an office job with an ever increasing workload but lack of pay increase before I decided to jump ship and take on a job as a fish farm technician earning good money (including overtime) and haven't looked back

I've been given qualifications that would allow me to work on construction sites anywhere I wish to go (crane and forklift) and the IT skills I've gathered mean I can possibly climb the ladder.

4. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Adding to my previous post I've seen various protestors against salmon farming albeit against other companies but the one I work for (over 2 years) has conditions in place so that the fish are never allowed to be damaged on terms of health, and I have never witnessed any mistreatment.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just accepted a new job today so I don’t know yet. :giggle1:

One of the main things that’s made me enjoy, or dislike, the jobs I’ve had are the people I work with.

6. JamesM09

One thing I would say to anyone, but especially young people, is be careful about dismissing a career as boring. It’s hard to explain but as long as you’re an intelligent and pro-active person your work has a way of becoming interesting. Training in a profession like accountancy or computer programming will get you in the door, and provide a solid well-paid fallback if you decide on an easier work life, but it won’t limit you if you want to do more interesting things with it.

As an example, I think Lawwell started as an accountant and just think of the interesting career he has had. Obviously that’s an extreme example, but more common things would be an accountant who might end up managing a large engineering project in some way, or even just running a large team within an interesting company.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That's the big thing for me as well, working for good money but with * wears you down a lot quicker than working for * money with great people.

It's hard to find the right balance as well as actually enjoying the job you do and not get bored of it.

8. Pearse67*

is it land based?

if not then it is causing irreparable damage!

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

the fish will be in water.

10. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I work in the oil industry as a qualified engineer .
    I have been doing this for 20 years and the only reason I do it is for the money , we get audited by people who do not understand what we do but only ensure we follow the appropriate procedures even if the procedure is * . They would be better off employing robots who will not deviate from procedures, when you try to amend procedures this is knocked back as it may cost slightly more but would be safer and more efficient and they wonder why their workforce are demotivated.
    Work for a small company where your talents will be encouraged hopefully.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  11. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Must admit I love my job, never plan on retiring and the plans is by mid 50s do it on a consultancy basis and do what I want. If it's 5 or 2 days a week it's my shout.

The trick is (I believe) is to have transferable skills and not be stuck to a sector.

So far I've worked in power networks, manufacturing, construction and utilities. Started of as an apprentice joiner then the career zig zagged as more qualifications and experience was attained. That way the power is with you and not the employer.

P.s in my view only, so don't shoot me down, money is very important but to be truly content in a job you need career satisfaction.

12. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    No it is sea based, I see this as a bit of a double edged sword to be honest as I'm aware it's not the natural environment for the fish but at the same time the fish wouldn't exist if it wasn't for this purpose as that's what they are bred for.

Not arguing you're wrong just a bit of my own perspective:50:

13. Pearse67*

have you witnessed what they are fed?
    Pesticides to try and stop the spread of disease, huge outbreaks of salmon lice which then spreads and passes to wild fish.

salmon farming is responsible for the huge collapse in wild salmon stocks and is probably one of the most toxic foods you can eat.

14. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I think the industry has changed since I've joined, the treatments I've witnessed are called fresh water treatments. A boat comes to the site and takes the fish on board into a huge fresh water hold for 3-4 hours to get rid of any lice and helps prevent disease in the gills.

I know the feed used at our site is made from vitamins, proteins, fish (herring, anchovies, mackerel etc) and wheat which binds the feed to allow the pellets to be made.

The tolerance of lice is low, there's a formula used to work out the level per pen and the tolerance is 0.2% (differs between companies, I think the highest tolerance is 0.5%) then the fish are treated. There is a dedicated net washing boat for where I am who's sole job is net washing and nothing else just to maintain cleanliness and fish health.

I know of sites being overrun with lice but that tends to be caused by poor management and a poor tidal flow of water none of which is an issue I've experienced.

The industry isn't agreed with by everyone I realise this but there's a common misconception on the against side that it's poorly managed and dirty industry but in my personal experience the fish are well maintained.

15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
  16. ThisIsGhod

Love my job! look after my brother full time.

Cupid Stunt, kramer1 and belbhoy like this.
  17. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Hate my job but they were the only * to take me on after I got paid off my previous job

My probation period is up next month so I might not be kept on anyway

18. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    like my job, been with the same company for 12yrs, but would jump ship if someone else offered me an extra £1 p/h more.
    it's all about the money.

19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I left a job I liked, did an almost identical one with 2 other companies at high pay but hated it. It was the people around, it really makes a difference. I currently have my lowest paid job in years but everyone gets a long, no stress going into work. I'm glad I'm there.

Cupid Stunt and buchanbhoy like this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I manage a small store. I actually enjoy it, I know all the customers, have a good chat and you end up with some qaulity stories you could write a book about. Also managed to gain loads of contacts. Got my entire roof repointed, 2 slipped tiles fixed and the flashing around a pipe done for £50. Amazing what giving a guy a free 5p bag now and again does :56: a roofer had previously quoted me £900 as a start.

I wont do this forever though, I want to own my own business and have been saving and will continue to save. Have a building that imo is in the perfect location coming up in the next 2/3 years and have first dibs when the lady retires.

Could be back to working for someone else within 6 months if it doesnt work mind you :56: can only give it a bash but have to go for it so I'm not left thinking what if.