1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Name a good War TV series

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by BathBhoy, Jun 2, 2020.

Discuss Name a good War TV series in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    Didn't want to take the war film thread off topic, but there's a few good TV shows about War that I know of and probably a lot more I either don't know of or have forgotten about.

I'm sure we all know about Band of Brothers and Pacific, but speaking to friends one that slipped under their radar is "The long road home"

It's about a group of US soldeirs who think they've got a cushy stint in Iran, but it doesn't work out that way.

There's also an older one called "Tour of Duty" about Vietnam which was decent.

Although not specifically about war I thought "Rome" was very good. A bit light on big battle scenes, but was pretty much about the two Fs.Fighting and *.

Brought back memories of my younger days in the Oasis in Clydebank

2. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Star Wars The Clone Wars

3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There are a couple of quality limited series, that have been discussed in other threads, including the dedicated Band of Brothers one. Which if you haven't seen should be your first port of call.

The Pacific is decent, but not as good as Band of Brothers.

ANZACS is another one well worth checking out if you're interested in this topic. It's an 1980's Australian production centred around a platoon in WWI, that explores both their experiences but also the 'home front'.

M*A*S*H started out as a spin-off of the 1970 film of the same name, the comedrama is set at a US Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean War. Although there are elements of slapstick there are some very poignant and serious elements to it also. If you are going to watch it, would recommend finding it WITHOUT the laugh track, as it is vastly better without that.

4. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Colditz
    Tenko

5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Secret Army is brilliant

6. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

The best I have ever seen that's on the same level with band of Brothers is Generation Kill (HBO). Even according marines that served in Iraq it's the closest to modern warfare ever recorded. Two guys in the series served in the same outfit as in the series, Just watched it for the fourth time last weekend.

[​IMG]

Markos1972 likes this.
  7. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    Looks like I can get this on CatMouse. I'll give it a go later. Did you watch "The long road home" ?

8. BathBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Here we go again
    It was. But it took me a while to figure out why the Kommandant of Coldiz was in the resistance.

cidermaster likes this.
  9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    The North And The South

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Are you talking about the series North and South, with Patrick Swayze, Kirtie Alley etc, from the 80's? If so, not a bad shout, even if primarily looking at 'Book II' for the Civil War, but 'Book I' does touch on the American-Mexican War of the 1840's.

There are some half decent series floating about on Youube of old American mini-series, including George Washington, The Crossing, Rough Riders, The Blue and the Grey, Class of '61, Wicked Spring etc (some of them are a bit cheesy as they were made for 70's & 80's American TV auduences for the most part, but there are some very interesting ones, and some really surprisingly familiar names and faces that appear in these.

Do a search on youtube for Lionheart Filmworks account and there are loads there that you mightr find of interest. :50:

It's actually surprising how much decent stuff can be found on youtube that is in tact. There is a good mini-series from the late 70s called Holocaust, which apparently so completely shocked America and Germany when it was first shown there, as many there had been oblivious. That has James Woods and Meryl Streep in it, before they were really famous) among others. There is another called The Wall, about the Warsaw Ghetto and uprising etc thats worth checking out also.

cidermaster likes this.