1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jozo Simunovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Aug 15, 2015.

Discuss Jozo Simunovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. joemc

Think it means reduce wage bill for transfers that are gonna put a dent in the wage bill this summer .

2. ladbroke8

The PSG game killed Jozo for me. After that it was 90% bomb scare material

3. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

Wow surprised... will be a good wee free for some team

4. StevieBhoooy!

He’s made more of a mark than quite a few others who’ve come and gone recently...

The Cesar Goal will always be his and will always be a great Celtic memory.

bobs1974 likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JOZO SIMUNOVIC admits he is GUTTED he won't be part of Celtic's ten-in-a-row bid.

The Hoops didn't take up a year option on the defender's contract after clinching the Premiership title.

Simunovic revealed he wanted to try to make history next season - but respects Celtic's shock decision.

He told SunSport: "It's a bit weird as I was at Celtic for five years and was a good part of the success.

My wish was to stay for one more year minimum, as we have a good chance to do something historic.

"To win ten in a row would be a great achievement and I'd remember it for the rest of my life

Was I surprised to leave? I need to look at the whole situation in football right now and everything isn't great with Covid-19.

"It was the club's decision and I need to accept it. They are looking at everything as a business.

What can I do? Of course I can say I am angry and sad that I am not at Celtic for next season.

"But I cannot change that. It's the club's decision and I need to respect it.

"It won't spoil the way I look back at my Celtic career. I am still very happy and proud.

"I have been a big, big part of Celtic and the success there for the last five years.

"I also think of the boys who left last summer and the summer before.

We have all played a big part in Celtic's run to nine in a row and that will never change.

"I cannot look back with bitterness because I had the chance to have five years at a great club.

"I loved every game I played for Celtic and I need to thank my team-mates, my coaches and especially the fans for their support.”

Jonny Hayes was another shock departure at Celtic and Simunovic feels sorry for the Irish winger too.

And he revealed it was tough not getting the chance to say a proper goodbye to the rest of Neil Lennon's squad in person.

He said: "When it was announced that Jonny and I were going to leave, it was a hard time for us.

Everyone who has experienced something like this will know that it's not easy - but it's part of football.

"It's not great for both of us, but what can we do?

"If we had the choice we would have stayed for sure. But the club has to do what they want.

"I will miss my team-mates but I got the chance to say goodbye online to them."

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He sounds like he's taken it quite bad but he's far too unreliable for us to keep..

7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nice words big man.

Looking forward to comparing them to other departing ̶g̶o̶a̶l̶k̶e̶e̶p̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶ players

Doogs. and McChiellini.. like this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Personally I think their was lower terms on the table for the both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He liked the club- and that has to be respected, but he was rather prone to errors, perhaps even a bigger issue than injuries, which could be somewhat managed by watching out for the surface.

10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Felt * reading that. Hope the big man kicks on wherever else he goes

11. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fair play to him. It is clear he really appreciated his time at Celtic and wanted to stay. It all probability we would have taken the one year option on his deal as well if it were not foe the virus. Certainly had his ups and downs but overall was a decent player for us and I wish him all the best.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Always liked Jozo but he could never properly kick on. Always thought there was a decent defender in there somewhere.

Sounds gutted.

bobs1974 and The_Bhoy like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Thought he'd have a new club by now tbh.

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Would he pass a medical though?

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FREED Celtic defender Jozo Simunovic is set to relaunch his career with Trabzonspor, after reportedly agreeing terms with the Turkish outfit.

The Croatian defender was surprisingly released by Neil Lennon in this summer despite helping the Hoops to five titles in a row during the time he spent at the club, following his move from Dinamo Zagreb

Simunovic, 26, has spent the summer trying to fix himself up with a new club and he's agreed to move to Turkey to move to the Super League's runners-up, who are now managed by former Chelsea No.2 Eddie Newton.

Trabzonspor have already splashed out on five new signings this summer ahead of their attempt to win the Turkish title for the first time in 36 years.

Simunovic admitted in June he was disappointed Celtic weren't offering him a new deal.

He said: "It’s a bit weird as I was at Celtic for five years and was a good part of the success. My wish was to stay for one more year minimum, as we have a good chance to do something historic.

To win ten in a row would be a great achievement and I’d remember it for the rest of my life. Was I surprised to leave? I need to look at the whole situation in football right now and everything isn’t great with Covid-19.

It was the club’s decision and I need to accept it. They are looking at everything as a business. What can I do? Of course I can say I am angry and sad that I am not at Celtic for next season.

But I cannot change that. It’s the club’s decision and I need to respect it. It won’t spoil the way I look back at my Celtic career. I am still very happy and proud."

Smithy, NomDePlum and tarboltontim like this.
  17. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Surprised we let him go knowing we had no replacement signed up.
    Fair enough was a sick note but wouldn't have been too costly.

Think we have had pretty bad luck with injured defenders in recent years.

18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Turkey is about right for him.

19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

If he stays fit and can get his confidence back he’s a half decent player, nothing more than a squad player but.

Spring Time likes this.
  20. stew37

Wish him all the best for the future. Sometimes he was solid, other times he was less so, to put it mildly. Couldn't fault his effort though. Hopefully be remembered by most for his goal after Billy McNeil's passing.