1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonny Hayes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jun 14, 2017.

Discuss Jonny Hayes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    All these lads saying the wanted him to stay is just sentiment. Yeah he's hard working and committed but let's all be honest HE ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!

The_Bhoy and trackebhoy like this.
  2. Maestro 08

Wouldn't be surprised if we did offer him a year and he knocked it back (the 'tough decisions' part in his post alludes to it) & we're not fond of offering guys in their 30's new longer term deals, McNamara & Samaras being 2 of many that spring to mind. He'll be looking for something longer at this stage of his career. He's got one last decent contract left in him. He'll be wanting a 3 year deal somewhere and he won't be short of suitors.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Dalbeth3 likes this.
  3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Correct decision.

Nowhere near the level required.

Kiwibhoy27 likes this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Best of luck to him, good guy and honest pro. :50:

wd2oo3, Lilac Wine, The_Bhoy and 4 others like this.
  5. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    We have to trim our squad as this is difficult times for all businesses.
    I hope you get a decent contract Johnny as you still have a few good years ahead of you .

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Very harsh, he held his own in Rome as he was seen as more reliable as boli and Taylor at the time. He was a very good squad player. Superb attitude and great team mate, everyone in the squad can't be edouards or mcgregors. That could be boli staying now with Taylor and hickey

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Played a big part in our most impressive results of the season against Lazio and also scored the goal that killed off the huns in the first game at Ibrox this season. Dependable, solid player for Celtic. Cheers Jonny Bhoy, all the best!

9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Gave his all when called upon, sometimes went for him sometimes didn’t. Can’t question his commitment. Good guy and good luck to him in the future, don’t think he was ever gonna cement himself as a starter so time to move on.

Will always remember his goal at Ibrox. Absolute love watching it back and listening to all the players screams of celebration being picked up my the mics.

NomDePlum and Dan Breen like this.
  10. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So true-and a great way to remember a Dublin lad who lived the dream-wore the Hoops and scored against that lot.
    HH

Luis1967 likes this.
  11. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Same as Peter Grant mate, as much as “ he would run through a brick wall for Celtic and he always gave 110%”, would never doubt any of that, the true reality was and is he’s not good enough to be a Celtic player

Luis1967 likes this.
  12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bit of a difference though. Peter Grant had to do the donkey work so that Paul McStay could pull the strings, or even longer ago, with Bertie Peacock doing the 'fetch and carry' for Charlie Tully.

The difference is/was Hayes is a winger and as such, he should primarily be providing the flair, not the hard graft. He is a decent player and if he could have really seized the chance and made the full transition to fullback, especially when the opportunity pressented after KT left, then who knows, but injuries played their part also. Cannot fault the dedication and desire, and wish him all the best for the future.

NomDePlum and Lilac Wine like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JONNY HAYES has revealed he thought he was staying at Celtic after chats with Neil Lennon from December.

Now, though, he wonders if his Hoops exit has been due to the pandemic which is impacting severely on all football clubs’ finances.

The popular Irish winger is to leave Paradise on freedom of contract after boss Lennon decided not to extend his deal.

Hayes arrived from Aberdeen in 2017 after Brendan Rodgers shelled out £1million for him in the immediate aftermath of Celtic securing their Invincible Treble – with the attacker having played and scored against the Hoops in the Scottish Cup final.

The 32-year-old was never a first pick under Rodgers and then Lennon – but his versatility saw him frequently used as a stand-in left-back plus effective sub.

And he was well appreciated by the fans and team-mates.

Hayes’ best moment was netting the clinching goal in a 2-0 win over Steven Gerrard’s Rangers at Ibrox last September.

And the ex-Caley Thistle star told talkSPORT: “I’d spoken to Neil Lennon a couple of days before the Rangers game back in December.

He was aware I was out of contract in six months – and he wanted me to stay.

“As the season we went on we had similar conversations and he was quite keen for me to stay. He saw me as part of his plans.

“I had the same conversation with John Kennedy.

So, when it comes down to the decision being made this week, I don’t know whether the financial impact the coronavirus has had on Scottish football has contributed to it or not.

But I know that I wasn’t leaving the club, sort of being phased out, and was still playing regularly from the bench coming on or in the team until this virus struck.”

Aberdeen were immediately linked with a swoop to bring Hayes back where he was a hero.

Preston and Stoke City are also believed to be interested and he said: “I’ve always loved Aberdeen, there’s no doubt about it.

“Even playing against them, I wouldn’t say it was emotional but it was strange.

“Coming back to Pittodrie and playing against them, I’d such a good relationship with the staff and players up there.

“It’s been an option before, I don’t know if it would be an option now.

“Previously, when I was out of favour at Celtic, there was talk of going back there on loan.

“I just don’t know, the current climate in Scottish football, you can’t just say ‘I want to go there’ because it might not happen.

“The club you want to go to, for example Aberdeen or Motherwell or wherever, the club might struggle with finance over the next six months.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    * happens and the model can change in an instant

Done a good job whilst here and cant question his commitment and wish him all the best in future.

Aberdeen always seem keen to bring players back they know do well so dont think he will be without a club credit long

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Seems like Hayes was probably not offered a new deal in the end as a cost cutting measure due to the virus. A real shame for him and hopefully he gets a decent contract elsewhere to finish the last few seasons of his career out on a high note. Will be very interesting to see where he ends up signing.

Rydo1888* and StPauli1916 like this.
  17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I just hope we hit the 10 in a row season running and don't end up in a situation (at any point) where we really need the Johnny Hayes type players. ( And I am a huge fan of Hayes and think he was seriously underrated at Celtic.).

:ireland:

18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

His Instagram post stated "Football at times brings tough decisions" which suggests he was offered a deal as if we didn't offer him an extension there would be no decision to make.

He's 33 in 6 weeks so this is his last big contract really and given he played for Inverness and Aberdeen for 8 years before us, he won't be as flush as other footballers are at this stage.

Edit: Didn't see the video above, if we've left him in the lurch without a deal offered then that's pretty poor.

packybhoy and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Hopefully he ends up at Aberdeen or maybe the English Championship, he’s a good honest pro that scored at their midden. He always gave 110% no matter what I’ll always take that over a better player being half arsed any day.