1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

10 in a row Squad

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, May 20, 2020.

Discuss 10 in a row Squad in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Soro has made 90 and Klimala has made 78 club appearances so not much difference there at all its not over a hundred.

2. Markybhoy

I remember when the Huns blew 10 in a row. They had an ageing team and really should have blown it up after they got to 9 in a row but they tried to squeak one last title out of the squad they had and came up just short. The great thing for us is that our team and our squad is really quite young. So there is no danger of us falling into the same trap that they did. This whole coronavirus thing may also mean that the likes of Edouard stay for another season instead of moving on, which I think was a possibility in all honesty.

It's looking good.

3. Jeremie Frimpong

Soro has made 103 senior appearances, actually (source:https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ismaila-soro/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/466765). Wikipedia counts only domestic league appearances.

I was disputing the notion that Soro's lack of international experience at youth level will somehow be an impediment to his senior career, not comparing him with Klimala.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  4. Tomas

Does Jack Aitchison return from loan, he is a decent prospect.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. Foley1888

I believe it is important to continue to strive to improve the squad, all be it there is mitigating circumstances just now with the Covid Crisis. From last season we will have at least lost a GK and LW to start (Forster and Ely) therefore we need to at least fill those positions with the same sort of quality, hopefully get Forster in on perm and someone who can have at least as good an impact as Ely if not him.

How much we spend on a LW, will depend on what formation we are going to play if it is 3-5-2 rather than 4-2-3-1 then a CB and LWB would be more important than a LW. We also have Mikey Johnston fit again and a lot will probably depend on how Lennon views him (first team regular vs emerging talent with a lot to learn) but I recognise he needs competition regardless.

At CB we need another one at least (hopefully let Jozo leave) and that is before if Ajer goes then we may need two particularly if we want to play 3-5-2. On the right if El Hamed can stay fit and we have Frimpong who is a real talent and could even be pushed forward to compete with Forrest. Lee O'Connor is also another option who is yet to prove himself but came from Man Utd with a good pedigree.

In midfield we have good numbers with Brown, McGregor, Christie, Ntcham, Rogic and Soro, however if Soro does not turn out to be to the required standard then we will need another CDM or box to box midfielder, Jeff Hendrick on a free could be a good option for box to box.

As for striker we have four at the moment two who we know are very capable in Eddy and Leigh (as long as he keeps his pre lockdown form going) and two fairly unknowns in Klimala and Bayo. Bayo really needs a loan or sold so if it was possible to bring in another option to compete that would be great.

6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We seem to have question marks over so many-Boil, O'Connor, Soro, Klimala, Shevd, Bayo, etc. most who were expensive.
    Can we afford the time to function test all in such a demanding environment, not sure what the solution is.
    Maybe coaching staff have made up their minds on some already.

7. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    O'Connor is only 19 or 20 soro hasn't played yet how can you have doubts guy could be dynamite don't know yet. Klimala has hardly played as well its hard when you're only going 7 to 10 minutes again another one who you can't say that about. Shevd has looked pretty good when he's played he could be one we regret letting go without playing really. Boli is probably the only one who you could say that about.

So not sure it's question marks they need time before we can judge any of them that's our problem we don't rotate enough against smaller sides play one of them in the team not lots of changes but change it with one or 2 gives others a rest

8. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I can totally understand the view as to why Lennon wouldn’t rotate when we’re going great. Our first 11 is class at the moment. But then when things start slipping or a player falls out of form it means the back up players aren’t necessarily up to speed are they as they’re hardly playing. Unless you’re barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern it is impossible to keep a squad of 20+ capable first team players happy without all playing. As soon as we don’t have a top class player playing regularly they want away. So I think sometimes it has to be accepted our subs/reserves aren’t gonna be exact replicas of the first 11 players. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be expected to give 110% and perform to their best abilities. But a bit of a realistic view of our position is needed.
    I agree Boli was brought in to be first choice and hasn’t fully lived up to the price tag. But we’re now stuck in a formation (that’s working) with two LB’s who are playing unnatural positions for themselves. They both need time to adapt. Taylor is just missing that extra bit of pace you need to play what he’s being asked at the moment. In a back four position he doesn’t need that extra touch as he can link well with the attacking left player. In our current working formation he’s basically being asked to play both roles so it’s 100% unfair to be written off in his first experience of this. This applies to any new players like you say, how can you write someone off before even seeing them play a fair amount!

9. Foley1888

I think the above is a good point and that is where we do need to rely on the likes of Biton, Hayes (last year), etc who cover a few positions and bring some experience . We will also expect a talented youngsters to push for inclusion in the first team squad, with Frimpong and Johnston being the two to make an impact last season. Given the talented players in our youth academy we will be looking for one or two to do that this year again (Connell, OConnor, Dembele, Welsh, possibly others).

However I do think our first 11 needs a few players to maintain and strengthen on last year, a GK being number one priority (hopefully Forster); a left winger (Ely or another to compete with Johnston) and another CB as if playing three at the back we only have 3 CB's and Jozo apart from not being good enough can't play the volume of games. At left back or wing back depending on games Taylor is a solid option at left back but had a bit of a mixed bag a wing back, Boli seems to have fallen out of favour after his spell injured back in November/December and didn't seem defensively good enough or to be given a shot at left wing back so I would see that as a position that needs filled if we are to go 3-5-2.

Any other additions will depend on if we have any sales of key players or opportunities present themselves.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    We will see decent surgery during this window.

If you take away the loan players we had last year foster, Bauer, Arzani and Elyounoussi.

Add the players out of contract Gordon, hayes and calvin miller. And the recently left Eboue.

Plus the players not good enough such as ralston and jack hendry.

Imagine guys like oconnor, henderson, connell and Afolebi will get some loan time away.

And question marks over jozo, boli, Shved, bayo and to a lesser degree due to less time at the club klimala and soro.

We also need to tie eddie down to a new deal and either extend the contract or sell Ajer.

A goal keeper is a must
    A centre half is a must even if we keep Ajer, two if we sell
    If hayes leaves we cant trust taylor and boli just for that role. Taylor is better defensively and not great as a wing back. I think if we sell boli the replacement must be better suited as a wing back than taylor to give us more options.

We could lose Elyounoussi, Arzani, hayes and Shved all in the same window so a quality winger is a must.

Bayo on loan and a striker in to compete with eddie griff and paddy. We know we are lucky to get another year from eddie so this player is bought with that in mind

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I don't think we will get alot in Lennon and Kennedy have already said 2 or 3 tops a bit of quality I'd expect 1 to be Forster. The other 2 one will be a winger even though I would personally use Dembele more, Taylor had 6 assists when he went to wingback he's learning that position remember he came from a team who attacked very little so I'll wait till after pre season to judge him properly. BAYO on loan and bring in Afolabi or Aitchinson no decent striker is coming in not to play

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. Cupid Stunt

For me, if we're playing two up front there will be plenty of opportunities for any striker as Griff and Eddy can't play every game throughout a season. So far Bayo and Klimala don't seem to be too heavily fancied, so a striker with something about him would be knocking on the door for game time straight away.

I don't see a striker as a priority, unless * forbid Eddy leaves, but I think there's definitely room for one more especially if Bayo goes out on loan.

13. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Bayo and Klimala haven't been given a decent run in the side so it's hard to comment on them in this respect if they got a run in the side in cup games against lower league sides. Or the odd game against a team we expect to win at home for example could get a proper look. the only criticism of Lenny is that he waits to late to make changes 3-0 up bring players on in the 80th minute can't get a good look at them. and give Eddy the odd rest or even broony with soro or that. 1 change here or there

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Would love to see this :-

Foster
    Hickey
    CB x2
    LW

I think that's all we need as we need to use the talent we have in the youth squads or risk losing them

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Me personally, would like to see something along the lines of the following:

If Ajer wants to go, swap for Forster and Ely.

Paddy Roberts, Benkovic and Hickey.

If Ntcham.wants to move he can be the guy to bring in the extra revenue.

Get rid of a lot of players including Hayes, Boli, probably Jozo

16. murphy88

There's a reason Bayo hasn't had a run of games, or much of a chance at all, like Dominic Cummings the scout must have been having trouble with his eyesight. Like Amido Balde, you just know when someone isn't good enough, Bayo is another.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Bayo's definitely raw and can look clumsy but there's something about him I like..

He has very very good movement. Quick. Strong. Brilliant in the air as well..

Deffo needs to brush up on his first touch but there's something there..

Klimala is just in the door and should be settled enough by the time the season starts now to play some part. Quick and may play well in the 3-5-2 as he likes to stretch and go in behind and Eddy likes to drop, come to the ball or run with it..

Most excited about Soro out of the batch though. He looks tailor made to make a difference to our central midfield..

The_Bhoy likes this.
  18. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    My dad was saying a player signed a new 3 year deal but he cant mind.

Any youth players signed on longer?

19. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Brody Patterson from the youth team 19 signed a 3 year deal

greengrocer likes this.
  20. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song: