1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Hickey

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by CountyDownFaithful, Jan 19, 2020.

Discuss Aaron Hickey in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cringer67

Yes, im of the same opinion. Sadly it looks like Boli just isnt good enough. I like Taylor, and Hayes is happy to deputise if needed. Id bring him in with the intention of fighting it out with Taylor for the slot.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'd give Hayes an extension, he's the type of player needed in the squad for the 10.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s more than short sighted it’s just plain daft.

We’re not going to completely disregard forward planning and youth development because we’ve won 9 leagues in a row. Suggestion is ludicrous.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd sign him if the price was right but I don't think he's ready to be our back-up LB at this point.

5. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    sign him and Meling from rosenborg punt boli and put hickey out on loan at SPL club continue his development

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Now that Meling is coming up to the end of his contract we could do worse than him on a Bosman or nominal fee but with him being 25 and Taylor 22, I'd say doing that would make signing Hickey a bit pointless.

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ah...

The annual Melling wish.. :56: :50:

8. Cupid Stunt

Is Meling actually any good?

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't remember him being that great, had some OK games against us but so did lyndon Dykes.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Cupid Stunt

Every transfer thread he pops up and some people seem to love him and some people think he's average.

I've not watched enough of him myself to be able to judge him.

11. Cringer67

So you would be happy to lose 10IAR and plough millions on players who aren't good enough for the first team right now with no guarantee that they will be good in enough in 3 years anyway? Sorry, but we can agree to disagree on this my friend. I'm not suggesting we abandon our business model and the philosophy of the club that has served us so well this last decade. A simple adjustment is all i'm suggesting. We can front load more cash to the front line than what would normally be the case on any normal year. Its simple working capital management in which it varies from year to year in any business. Celtic are no different.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I've never really fully bought into the hype but on a Bosman I wouldn't be too upset. European and International experience and wage demands would be pretty minimal.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If we dont sign Melling and Finnbogason this summer then 9.5 in a row is cancelled.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We were clearly interested in Meling. Sutton was announcing our interest probably via Lenny himself..

Now that he's coming to the end of his contract and on a free, you'd have to imagine we'll be speaking to him and his representatives..

He's no some top class player but from we've seen of our current trio....he's probably better..

Personally I think bringing in a first team starting left back/wing back is a priority. Boli isn't fancied. I don't think Taylor is good enough or overly fancied by Lenny and Hayes comes in and does a job, at time's..

Boli will likely go. Hayes will likely sign a new short term deal as a back-up player on no a lot for us. Taylor will likely be a back-up player..

I'd still sign Hickey regardless of any of the above. Whether we loan him straight out or have him with us for 6 month's as third choice to start off with....but I'd deffo purchase him for under a mill..

Seen comments elsewhere that I agreed with. He was with us. We wanted him to stay by all accounts but he chose to try and find first team football at the diets. We slapped a 30% clause (how many teenagers have we done that with) on because we must've rated him highly. We'll have monitored him throughout his time at the diets and now want him back..

We must rate and still rate him very highly..

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The reason we are on the cusp of 10 is because we have been forward-thinking and not blighted by the same short-termism the huns had in the 90s. A glance at our squad shows that.

You have Ajer who was signed at 17 for £500k and loaned out to Kilmarnock before he broke through, now a 1st choice CB and touted for £20m+ moves.

McGregor who was loaned out to Notts County and then made to earn his place, now a mainstay in the team and worth £20m+.

Christie signed for £500k and loaned out for 3 seasons before breaking through into the team, now our 2nd top scorer and one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Frimpong for £300k initially signed as a long-term prospect but forced his way into the team on merit in training.

Soro looks likes he's been signed as a ball-winning DM, I think we'll see him get chances at points next season as Broony gets a year closer to retirement.

Our system is clearly working and there's no need to abandon that just because 10 in a row is on the horizon. It doesn't have to be a binary choice between win 10 in a row or plan for the future, we could and should do both.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There is no straight choice between the 2 because this is real life and not a computer game.

We won’t throw youth development and the chance to sign young talent away because we’re going for 10 leagues in a row. Thankfully.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    If @Cringer67 was in charge, we'd get the 10 and lose the 11 or 12 with that attitude..

18. Cringer67

A major reason the model has worked so well is that we weren't under any sort of pressure and had the best squad with Aberdeen our nearest challengers for much of it. we now how have a settled team of winners and can top that up with young talent. I'll say again- m not suggesting we abandon this model, rather we tweak it for this season

Westlondonscot likes this.
  19. Cringer67

and if you were in charge, we could lose 10 and win the league in 2022.

20. Cringer67

i agree with you. Your last line is what im saying too. Im not saying we abandon the model. For some reason this isn't coming across.

Seán Mac D likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.