1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Damien Duff

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr Shelby, Feb 12, 2020.

Discuss Damien Duff in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Do we really need an ex player , a young and upcoming coach who can motivate and improve the players is the priority. Apparently Duff was like the big brother to the players who could get into their head to encourage and improve them .

Rendog likes this.
  2. JamesM09

I just really hope we don’t hire one of Lennon pals.

I feel that was a problem the first time round with Parker but to be fair it seems to have been addressed this time, so far.

We need a model professional that’s been around the top clubs in Europe. We should go all out to get someone like that.

3. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Lets make no mistake about it, there would've certainly been a renewed contract offered to him considering the season we've had, also there has been no talk of how long his FAI contract lasts for, a year?

From all the snakish actions that Rodgers done, I still don't think that excuses Duff for talking utter nonsense, along with only being here for a season to use us as a stepping stone doesn't sit right with me and his commitment to the club should be questioned at the very least. The club gave him a massive opportunity and a step up from coaching kids in Ireland to a professional environment , then he goes and leaves at the first sign of a tempting offer. There will be plenty of opportunities in his coaching career where the Irish assistant manager role will be available to him and others, will there be the same opportunity at Celtic?

4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Personally think he is making a bit of a mistake, there is a buzz around Stephen Kenny and the players such as Lee O'Connor Parrott molumby Connolly and many others coming through. But I just don't see how international football coaching can compare to working with players day in day out at a club. This very well could be about being closer to home with family etc too

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He’ll definitely be a miss but obviously wanted a change or maybe just both jobs would be too much for him. Best of luck to him, reckon he’ll be back at some point later in his career as an assistant manager or even manager.

6. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Maybe he just wanted back home

Dublin Celt likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, when you bring a legend back like Henrik it would be inevitable at some point.

8. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Football ain’t logical though.
    When we had Parker, Lennon, Mjallby and Thompson having sessions and encouraging the old footy drink culture we almost took 4 points off Barcelona, battered a good Spartak team in Moscow and were unlucky with ref decision at home to Juve in the last 16. The most professional, modern, fitness and diet focussed Celtic manager in recent memory was our least successful. MON, Brendan and Lennon all had largely ‘jobs for the bhoys’ backroom staff culture yet were serial winners.

9. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Aye let's go back to a decade ago and encourage all the players to go out on the *

10. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Well like I said a decade ago we beat Barcelona were 10 seconds away drawing them in the non camp and got throug to the last 16 - something which seems impossible now as we can’t even qualify for the CL.

So yes I’d quite like to go back to that tbh. Maradona was an obese coke addict who * whores every night and probably at numerous half times, yet is probably the greatest player ever.

11. JamesM09

Disagree with quite a lot of this mate.

Using Deila as an argument against health and fitness doesn’t work because it’s like using Warburton as an argument against Tiki Taka. Bottom line is Deila wasn’t good at implementing a healthy approach. In my opinion he had no idea what he was doing and neither did his ‘expert’ staff. Just because it was a focus for him didn’t mean he was good at it.

That team that beat Barcelona also regularly looked hungover, unfit and lost out the chance to win trebles to the likes of Morton. I think it’s a bit ridiculous to say it’s one or the other. The current team with Lennon as manager and a strong health and fitness ethic beat Lazio away and win trebles regularly.

Our most fitness focussed manager in recent memory is Rodgers anyway. He knew what he was doing with that stuff and I think we all see the benefit. Rodgers also is not ‘jobs for the boys’. He has a team he takes with him that are highly professional and know what they’re doing.

To be fair to Lenny and the club I think they recognise the old days are over. The players look fit as * every match and I think that’s down to the likes of Jack Naylor being allowed to do his job. More staff like this should be the priority.

Compare our Dubai vs. their Dubai.

12. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Imo would want, Henrik , Johan or Petrov(cant remember his open goal if he was interested in Coaching or more background office side, sure he done some coaching at Villa) before O'Dea or McManus , Kennedy is more of an assistant than a coach think this more a buffer role between players an the management aswell as helping out on Coaching

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Don't care who it is once they know what they are at and can bring a level of professionalism, if they are young that's a bonus. Don't want someone to get it on the back of playing for us 10 years ago or because they already coach at the club and there is no one else.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

14. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Hopefully we try and get a decent quality coach in that can bring something different to the management team and improve us going forward don't just want an ex player for sentimental value.

Valhalla likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He had glowing reports this season off of player's..

Griff with corners. Our own wingers. One to one. The younger player's like Dembele spoke highly of him as well..

Disappointing..

16. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Wonder if Lennon will ask Alan Thompson to come back.

17. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Remember Hartson has done a bit of coaching, naw sure if he would be an option to replace Duff , wouldve liked Johan but he was more of an assistant last time

18. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Is lenny going to get garry parker back he's had him at nearly every club he's been at?

19. Mince.Charming

Its a Gutter tbh .
    The thing about Duff was he was a top Attacking player with plenty of experience.
    A lot of the players would have respected his opinion.

You can't have Darren Odea or that taking on that role of an Attacking coach.
    We already have Kennedy as a defensive minded coach.
    It has to be someone that has knowledge and can add to the team.

20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hopefully not

McChiellini.. likes this.