1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Shafted is a weird way to put it; the situation is completely out of our control.

I guess it's down to you on what you see your season ticket as: if it's a ticket to access all home League games and 1st refusal on tickets for all other home games (which in theory is what it is) then I can see the refund argument.

If you see it as your annual contribution to the cause and you know that demanding refunds weakens rather than strengthens that, then it's counter-productive.

I wouldn't want a refund. I don't take my admittedly small dividend (probably the same for GM membership here) from my Celtic shares. I have money set aside for next season's ticket and I'm happy to pay it even with the uncertainty of knowing when games will be played, as I have the luxury of job security that many don't have in this climate.

All that said it would be nice to see some recognition of supporters doing the likes of the above and see the directors refusing to take hefty bonuses for the current season and next.

2. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He has his flaws, but I have to say he and the club have handled this really trying time, especially with all the dramas swirling round with league ending etc, with professionalism and dignity. Spoke when necessary, left the rest to fight amongst themselves and throw statements out every hour or 2.

3. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In 2012/13 he agreed to a league restructuring that would see Celtic lose £1m each season compared to the season that had just finished.
    The plan was for it to be league set up of 12,12,18 and after first 22 matches had been played in top 2 divisions they would be split into 3 leagues of 8 which would mean 36 matches for top 24 teams and 34 matches for bottom division.

4. Dougie67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic song
    Think you’re right re choice of words ( shafted ) but when all the Clubs were voting for the resolution, I never read about any concerns about supporters and season tickets , maybe they didn’t want to do it publicly?
    Everyone’s finances are different in these extraordinary times and a lot of people would possibly like even an acknowledgement that we know you’ve lost approximately £100.00 for the 4 home games you’ve missed , either a discounted season ticket , free European game etc .
    It would be good if the supporters were acknowledged for a change .

Dan Breen likes this.
  5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Played this perfectly.

6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Well said, spoken like a true Celtic fan.
    Pistol Pete has his critics, but at the end of the day, when this cluster will eventually be behind us, his leadership will be appreciated and our club WILL come out the other end.

7. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I still want to know how Lawwell has escaped blame for the Big Screens in Manchester failure. We all know he was responsible ;-)

steg likes this.
  8. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    heard from a guy who's maw's pal's son was in manchester at the time, new a guy who's sister worked in a hotel down there told how peter lawwell while in Manchester plugged in a chinese made travel kettle in to make a cup of tea and blew a fuse which in turn blew out one of the main generators which caused the big screens to fail. there not saying he meant it, but it was his fault. also, one of the main hospital lost power and 11 patients died. if that was true, (and i believe it is) then the ranjurs should have bee awarded the Europa cup. but once again, Peter Lawwell, in his role of running UEFA gets away with it.
    watp.

steg, Fully87, Marie and 3 others like this.
  9. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke,Lubo,Petrov,lambo,Hooper,Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Pesky unseen * hand :56::56::56:i bet Glasgow city council paid his travel and expenses as well :40::fear:

Dan Breen, Rydo1888* and bkk bhoy like this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Bonobhoy

This is Lawell's season,to possibly have all fans on board with him,he has run us well over the years but * us over a few times,but i believe he will push the boat out if needed this season.

This isn't just the 10,many fans will want to push on after this,and get to the infamous 55,that will be the next shout and it aint that far away.

We have an oustanding stadium,amazing Euro nights under the lights and members in the team that just get it,but he also cant let this slip,we will push on after the 10 and trample all over any make believe record in Scottish Football.

13. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    I really hope he does push the boat out for the 10 as we know he is all about a balance sheet. He has a chance to win over some of the supporters who don't really like him.

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Part of pushing the boat out will be keeping Eddy. I think a lot will be put into making sure we can get £30m for him next summer rather than £15m. There will still be sales this summer but I do think being able to sell players at a profit every year shows what a great club we are behind the scenes with scouting as well as on the pitch.
    After 10 the clubs aim should be getting more trophies than Oldco. I'm fed up of their most successful club bollocks.

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Big Peter wants the 10. :34:

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Big pistol going to see wee sturgeon to assist the spfl and the sfa on how to get Scottish football back and moving again when you need a boss you get the bosses boss big pistol!

steg, MickeyyMack and Lilac Wine like this.
  17. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    The Scottish FA and SPFL will ask the Scottish government for permission to start next season on 1 August.

Sports minister Joe Fitzpatrick will meet the heads of the major sporting bodies on Friday to discuss how each plans to restart.

Football will be permitted to resume once the country enters phase two of the lockdown restrictions easing - if it can adhere to social distancing.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell will today be part of the SPFL delegation which meets the Scottish government minister Joe FitzPatrick for talks on football’s emergence from lockdown.

The SPFL and SFA will be joined by representatives from the Scottish Rugby Union and Scottish horse racing at a meeting to plot professional sport’s return from Covid-19 restrictions. Lawwell and the Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor will each give a club perspective on how the crisis is affecting sport. The SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster and the SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell will also be in football’s delegation in a Zoom conference with FitzPatrick, the minister for public health, sport and wellbeing.

The purpose of the meeting — the second between sport’s governing bodies and the minister during lockdown — is for football, rugby and racing to convince him that adequate measures and procedures are in place to protect public health when restrictions are lifted.

The crucial date for the SPFL is August 1 — the scheduled start of the Premiership and the new broadcasting deal with Sky Sports. That would be realistic if the Scottish government eases into phase two of its emergence from lockdown around June 10-17, which would enable football to begin normal training and stage closed doors games. First minister Nicola Sturgeon announced the beginning of phase one yesterday.

Simply moving into phase two next month would not automatically mean training and closed-doors games could begin. That would depend on the SFA and SPFL proving that robust procedures were in place regarding various issues including testing and measures to prevent the spread of infection. But the government is understood to be comfortable about the plans football has put in place so far.

The possibility of government funding to help clubs and governing bodies is not likely to feature prominently.

The indications are that the resumption of top-level rugby in Scotland is likely to lag behind football by a factor of three or four weeks. A spokesman for the SRU suggested that there would be no return to training until the second phase of the lifting of lockdown restrictions — likely to be in late June — and that conditioning issues would suggest players could not play full-contact rugby for another six to ten weeks after that.

On that timescale, it seems that the Pro14 season could not resume until late August. Although no details have been released, the indications are that the competition might be concluded with a series of domestic derbies, thereby avoiding the need for teams to become involved in international travel.

19. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Scary how much he looks like my auld da in that pic....

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Why is he the big news about it at the start?

We're the biggest club in the country so of course we should be part of any discussions about when the league is likely to be given the go ahead for next season....just like every other club..

How many other member club's attended?

Blochairnbhoy likes this.