1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Damien Duff

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr Shelby, Feb 12, 2020.

Discuss Damien Duff in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's done well for us. Can remember a few players talking about how he's been good for them on the training ground..

Also credited with some of our goals from set pieces and the likes from straight off the training ground..

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Damien Duff is under no pressure to iron out his immediate future with Celtic.

That is according to Stephen Kenny who was thrilled to name the Ireland legend on his coaching staff with the senior international team.

Duff will officially take up his coaching role with the Boys in Green on August 1 whereas assistant manager Keith Andrews starts immediately.

It has been suggested that Duff may be moving home to Dublin permanently once Celtic’s historic quadruple treble push is over.

Duff joined the Glasgow giants from Shamrock Rovers in January 2019 as reserve team boss.

But he was swiftly elevated to first-team coaching duties under interim manager Neil Lennon before that team was made permanent.

With respect to Celtic, they have to sort that out between them but Damien is trying to sort out his situation,” said the new Ireland boss Kenny.

It’s been immense for him, a great learning curve and he has really enjoyed it. He tells me what a fantastic club it is and how much he has enjoyed his time there.

“But we will have to see what develops as he was hoping to see out the season and win the treble there at least but I don’t want to speak about his future, he can do that.”

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * * he might as well flat out say listen he's leaving after those comments :56:

4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I cant understand why a young coach like would give up day to day work at a club like Celtic to be a coach with Ireland, Irish or not. Unless it's a family thing

5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Maybe his family havent settled here

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Thing is its probably also a role that could easily be done part time.

Zander likes this.
  7. CountyDownFaithful

Bit of a loss for us.

By all accounts he’s made a great impression and contributed to our success.

Took a huge step up when Brendan left to help Lenny and JK with steadying the ship.

We have given him a huge opportunity and a good amount of exposure at an early stage of his coaching career. On that basis, I would like to see him stay with us.

But if he goes, Lennon can finally pick one of his own men to join him in the dug out.

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I'd rather he didnt

9. CountyDownFaithful

Rather he didn’t stay or rather he didn’t go?

10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Would rather he stayed and Lennon didnt get his own man in

11. CountyDownFaithful

I’d much rather see Duff stay.

Just trying to see what positives may come out of him leaving though.

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    None that I can see right now. I would much rather Duff stayed and did the Ireland assistant job part time. But reading between the lines of what Kenny said there it did not sound good.

13. northeast67

Duff seems to have a good influence but if he's decided to basically go part time it must be for family reasons? Maybe time for Larsson to return then as a coach or assistant, do it

14. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Disappointing to hear Duff is leaving but wish him all the best.

There's talk of Broony getting the coaching job but I'm not sure he could coach full time and play full time and there's at least another season in him, probably more. I'm sure he'll join the coaching staff when he does retire anyway, doubt he'll be fussed about which level he starts coaching cause he'll go through the ranks quickly. From what I know he's already coaching the young team when he gets the time.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon will start the hunt for a new first-team coach after confirming the blow of losing 
Damien Duff to Ireland.

Duff stepped up to the top-team set-up after the departure of Brendan Rodgers last season and played a key role in 
landing nine-in-a-row.

But the 100-cap 
Irish star was appointed to new Republic of 
Ireland gaffer Stephen Kenny’s backroom team, which left a question mark over his future.

Duff, whose Celtic contract runs until the end of next month, could have 
potentially combined roles but Lennon says he is now on the lookout for a replacement.

Lennon admitted they could promote from within, which could even open the door for Darren O’Dea to make the same step up from the youths as Duff and join former team-mate JohnKennedy.

The Hoops gaffer said: “I spoke to Damien on Monday and he was in good spirits but he’ll join the FAI.

It’s a blow because he contributed immensely and personally I got on great with him.

He’s in his formative years as a coach but he made a huge contribution 
and there was a good chemistry there. So he’ll be difficult to replace, that’s for sure.

We were waiting on everything getting called first then we’ll look to replace him but it’s
 not at the forefront of
our minds.

“Damien’s at home in Ireland but his contract doesn’t run out until the end of next month.

“If we come back on June 10 we might have him until the end of the month and that might buy us some time to look to bring someone in or promote from within.”

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    That's a real shame

17. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Where do we go from here who do we get in? Do we promote from within or look for someone like maloney to come in or johan to come back?

18. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Gutted to lose him so soon. Seemed to be very popular with the squad and he truly was a top player that the young boys could look up to and learn from.

Read a while back how much he had helped the likes of Mikey Johnston and was putting in a lot of work with Greg Taylor to improve his crossing.

Was hoping he would split his time between the two roles.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    “I spoke to Damien on Monday and he was in good spirits but he’ll join the FAI.

“It’s a blow because he contributed immensely and personally I got on great with him.

“He’s in his formative years as a coach but he made a huge contribution 
and there was a good chemistry there. So he’ll be difficult to replace, that’s for sure.

“We were waiting on everything getting called first then we’ll look to replace him but it’s
 not at the forefront of
our minds.

“Damien’s at home in Ireland but his contract doesn’t run out until the end of next month.

“If we come back on June 10 we might have him until the end of the month and that might buy us some time to look to bring someone in or promote from within.”

20. James Gold Member Gold Member

cough cough Henrik back for the ten cough cough

Spring Time likes this.