1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Makes sense for a free El Hamed is a bit injury prone and only frimpong as such. He has lots of experience is always usually solid for us on a free makes sense to give us cover at RB

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I would go so far as to say he’s the worst player I’ve seen in a Scotland strip in the last several years.

Nowhere close to being good enough, being the best right back out with Celtic in the league isn’t a prerequisite for us signing him. Nor is being a grafter when he’s as poor a footballer as he is.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We have 2 excellent RBs in Elhamed and Frimpong, so it makes no logical sense to use too much of our wage and transfer budget there but it makes good sense to have a 3rd choice.

Chances are you could get him for £4k/5k a week and zero transfer fee. Which to me is a much better option than sticking with Ralston or plumping for another RB on loan like Toljan or Bauer.

I think you're being a bit hyperbolic there, especially seen as Oli Burke has played for Scotland recently and has a first touch like OJ Simpson.

He ticks most boxes for a 3rd choice option: Low cost, has shown he will handle the league and won't rock the boat for lack of game-time. He's not going to win any POTY awards but he'll play his part when required.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Oli Burke at least has frightening pace and power. I’d take him back over signing O’Donnell.

Why do we have to sign another right back when we currently have 3 options in a back 4 and another 1 or 2 for a back 3 with wing backs?

Again, being better than Ralston shouldn’t be a prerequisite for a Celtic signing. Your bar is way too low.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

David Bates, Grant Hanley, Stuart Findlay, Jack Hendry...

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Stu Findlay is a far better player as is Hanley. The other 2 are of a similar level - not good enough.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Pace and power mean little when your stinking touch is taking you out by the touchline more often that not. After an initial burst from him he was absolutely hopeless, a dreadful footballer.

in terms of why Lennon might fancy a 3rd RB, I'd have to defer to him. Elhamed has struggled with injuries, Frimpong is still a young guy and Ajer could be off this summer, with the noises his agent was making not too long ago.

Even playing a back 3 as often as we did and the 3 above being ahead of him in favour, Bauer still made 13 appearances for us this season so I'd say it makes sense to have a 3rd option, but I wouldn't be spending big money on it.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  8. Cupid Stunt

Burke was appalling.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't understand how can you train with a ball 6 days a week and have played in the Championship, Bundesliga, La Liga and for Celtic and have a touch as bad as his. Mind-boggling.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  10. Cupid Stunt

Couldn't head a ball either. His redeeming features probably make him decent on Fifa but in reality he was one the worst technical players I've seen at Celtic Park.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I know Burke is * I don’t know why you’re banging that drum :56:

O’Donnell is equally *, anyone who’s watched the last few Scotland games and disagrees with that assessment I can’t take seriously. The only difference is he can’t beat the man before he shanks it out for a corner.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't watch Scotland at all really, so I'm judging him purely on what I've seen against us and occasional games I've seen v the hun.

In most of those games he acquitted himself well and I can't remember Sinclair, Johnston, Weah etc. doing anything of note against him.

I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as you're making out but it's a game of opinions.

To me he comes across as Hayes-type player: tim, won't spit the dummy for lack of game time, low cost that allows us to put wages elsewhere, grafter and has a track record of doing well in the league. The ideal squad player.

We'd all love top footballers right across the board but that's not realistic.

If Lennon fancies him then I'm all for it.

bkk bhoy likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Cheers Paul. Kid's are crying now..

PaulM1888 likes this.
  14. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    O Donnell is good at domestic level have watched him against us and the huns on numerous occasions has been solid, think he even scored a couple against them. Not saying that's a reason to sign him but with El Hamed possibly being injury prone and only really Frimpong and Ralston O'Donnell is miles better option than Ralston on a free makes sense for a decent squad player.

And don't think we will be splashing big cash in the transfer window so frees and loans could top up the squad I would take him will play games against certain sides good squad rotation player. Lets us focus on forster and maybe someone else seems like a low risk one too me

bkk bhoy likes this.
  15. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Could see Lee O'Connor considered more solid and ahead of frimpong by Christmas. Any move that will slow his progression into the first team should be avoided. Then there is elhamed too.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. Kiwibhoy27

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    think O'Connor would benefit from a loan spell at SPL Club before jumping in with us like a Killie or a St Mirren better to play regularly

17. CountyDownFaithful

Ahead of Frimpong? C’mon. Frimpong is arguably our biggest asset / most promising talent and that even includes Edouard. Pretty big statement but the kid is only 18, has so much time to grow and develop his talents.

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Hayes is many times better and he’s a squad player.

You’re right it is opinions, I genuinely think he is shockingly poor and that’ll be proven with his next move.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If he was "shockingly poor" wouldn't our wingers have had much more joy against him in the last 3 years?

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Who had any joy against a solid Kilmarnock under Clarke? Very few teams.

I would suggest that had everything to do with their pitch, their set up and their manager than it did their right back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.