1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

At least he’ll get a rest..:56:

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

'The Story Of' is a web series dedicated to small but special tales from Celtic’s illustrious history. Here, Callum McGregor talks us through his favourite European goal for the Hoops.

CALLUM McGregor opened his Celtic scoring account with a debut goal against KR Reykjavik in a UEFA Champions League qualifier in July, 2014. His favourite European goal in a Hoops jersey would come just over three years later, when he found the net in the group stage of the same competition against German giants Bayern Munich.

Despite losing 2-1 on the night, the Scottish champions showed great resilience and poise throughout the match, and a wonderfully worked goal in the second-half saw McGregor and James Forrest combine beautifully to cancel out Kingsley Coman’s first-half opener.

Just three minutes after McGregor’s 74th minute strike, though, Javi Martinez restored the visitors’ lead, who saw out the remainder of the game in front.

Still, Celtic played with heart and guts in what was an entertaining 90 minutes of football. McGregor’s goal was a joy to behold, and, having taken out four players in its wake, Forrest’s through-ball must go down as one of the best assists ever made on a typically electric evening of European football at Paradise.

“To go toe-to-toe with one of the giants of European football was an achievement in itself, disappointing result aside,” McGregor told the Celtic View. “We were in a good moment at that point as well, and when you get special nights like at Celtic Park, the crowd were unbelievable, it’s really special."

McGregor added: “In the end, it was unfortunate that we couldn’t hold on for a draw, or even go and try and win the game, but that goal is nonetheless up there with my own favourite goals.

"James’ assist was incredible too, I think he took out four players with the pass. He’s done that a few times before, actually, when I played off the left as I did at that time.

“For the goal, James started to come across the pitch and the angle started to narrow. I thought to myself, right, I’ll nip in behind. For him to find the pass after that, it was a wee chipped pass, a wee *, between the Bayern backline, was brilliant.

“I think that side of James’ game goes a little bit unnoticed – how clever is and how easily he can find those passes. That pass was a No.10 pass, the type of pass you’d expect from Tom Rogic. I was delighted to put it away, and again, despite the result, that’s up there with my own favourite goals. It has to be my favourite in Europe.”

tarboltontim and bagforlife like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BEFORE the postponement of the Scottish football calendar, Callum McGregor had played 50 games for Celtic in all competitions. That’s a lot of football, and even in the scant occasions he was rested from Neil Lennon’s matchday squad this season, the tireless midfielder found ways to keep himself busy.

Chatting on the official Celtic View podcast, Stephen McManus recalled the time McGregor used one week off to train with he and Tommy McIntyre’s Celtic Reserves at Lennoxtown.

The 26-year-old is of, course, a product of the club’s Youth Academy, and ex-Celt and Academy graduate McManus was delighted by McGregor's attitude, and the ways in which his players rose to the occasion of training with the first team star.

“Cal’s attitude and his application was first class and he’s a real inspiration to these players, and that’s exactly what they need,” said McManus. “It’s not a coincidence that Cal came through the ranks here, made it into the first team and has stayed there ever since.

“You need a few of those players in your team who create the culture and lead by example in everything they do. In this team, you’ve got that with Scott, you’ve got it with Callum, and you’ve got it with James.

“Other boys feed off of that, and then when you see your best players train the way they do, and apply themselves on a daily basis, it inspires the ones round about them, and it certainly inspires the younger ones even more.”

McManus also explained that one of his main goals as a coach is to prepare rising stars to not only play for the Hoops first-team, but to stay there for years to come.

He added: “It just shows you what it takes to come through. I say to our boys all the time: you don’t just want to be a player that plays for Celtic once or twice. There have been so many players that have done that.

“Instead, you want to be a player who comes in and plays 50 games, 100 games, 200 games – but you can only do that by applying yourself and being totally dedicated to your profession on a daily basis. Again, somebody like Callum, somebody like Scott, that’s what these guys have done for years.

Those attitudes are inspiring a generation of future players. That’s what’s important at Celtic, and that’s why it’s important that everyone is pulling in the same direction as a staff.

“You know what the end game is going to be. When you see players make that step up, it’s a wonderful feeling – and that gives the next generation below that inspiration to go and become successful.”

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

pop47 likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    That is honestly my favourite goal v them in this era , the pass to Dembele , the touch to bring it down took out two huns , slips in Calum and to pass it into the net with that weight and precision was magnificent .. look at the hun goalie , never moves and then falls to the ground knowing he was done !!! WELL DONE CAL MAC !!!

9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I hope this guy has his feet up after playing 4325 consecutive games for club and country.

Imagine how good he'll be after a wee rest.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I miss him :49:

Rydo1888* likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  12. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

His fitneee is second to none. The amount of games he’s play and still at the 90th minute he doesn’t look tired. Some players are * after 60 mins this guy is still full of energy after 60 full games in a row.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  16. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Wee mans looking bulky.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Callum McGregor insists he’s staying at Celtic for 10-in-a-row – and he would love to see old boss Brendan Rodgers back at Parkhead for the party.

The Hoops midfielder was a £25m target for Leicester City gaffer Rodgers last summer – just a few months after the Northern Irishman’s shock departure.

McGregor penned a new deal instead and having captured nine-in-a-row he insisted the only plan for a reunion with his former manager is if there is another title celebration in 12 months.

McGregor – when asked if he would remain for the push for 10 – said: "Absolutely. I am loving my Celtic career and it seems to be going from strength to strength.

I signed a long-term deal last year. That’s what I wanted, that’s what the club wanted.

We were desperate to get nine in a row and now we can put all our energy into trying to finish the job.

That’s the vision the club spoke to me about. That’s where they see Celtic going.

They want Celtic to be dominant and I want to be part of that. It’s why I pledged my long-term future to the club.

“We have done well to have this period of dominance and we want to continue it.

“We want everybody to stay together and have a go next season.

“What gets lost sometimes is that Celtic is a massive, worldwide club - an institution.

To be at Celtic is a privilege.”

McGregor admitted he was flattered by the Foxes interest last year but was focused on his job at Celts.

He said: “The stuff in the summer was nice to hear – that an ex-manager liked working with you.

There was speculation and you kinda do have half an eye on that, but you are also just focused on doing your best for Celtic.

“I had a job to do for the club and as soon as I got the contract sorted, I just felt like I went from strength to strength.

“I am very happy at the club and that was very well reciprocated in terms of what the club did for me.

“We showed some good loyalty to each other and I was just desperate to get back to enjoying football.

My performances, from the moment the contract was sorted, probably kicked on.

“In the second half of the season, I felt I’d kicked on even more.

“I got the 13 goals to break my Celtic record and I felt really confident that I would push on again.”

McGregor resisted the Leicester move by Rodgers but he’d love to see the former manager welcomed back to Parkhead.

Hoops fans reacted with fury when the ex-Liverpool gaffer quit in February 2019 but the midfielder insisted all of his bosses have played their part in the club’s success.

He said: “The nine-in-a-row run is a combination of three managers we have had.

“Brendan, Ronny Deila and the current gaffer have all done incredible things in their own right.

“Brendan achieved so much for the club.

Hopefully over time, people can see the influence he had and the role he played in this brilliant run, started off with the gaffer and continued by Ronny.

“We had three great years under Brendan – winning three Trebles.

“To have that much success at a club and for it to be overlooked, just in the heat of the emotion, would be a shame.

“Hopefully one day they can all come back together and celebrate the success.

Emotions run high in football but everyone has been a part of this and hopefully that can be appreciated over time.”

McGregor hailed Lennon for picking up the reigns but the Rodgers-installed mantra is still strong at Celtic Park.

He said: “Brendan’s influence in this nine-in-a-row run shouldn’t be forgotten. He totally transformed the club.

“He took it to a different level when he came in with his exceptional standards.

“You couldn’t drop below it one for even one session. It was always an opportunity to get better.

We progressed as a team and individually and his influence can still be seen on the club as a whole.

“In terms of mentality, we have now won 11 major trophies in a row and that has never been done before.

“That says everything about the psychological side of things that was drilled into us in 2016.

“Huge credit to the current gaffer as he has continued the success since taking over.

He has always been a winner anyway but also sets the standards in terms of tactics, performances - everything.

“The gaffer has taken up the mantle from Brendan and we seem to be going from strength to strength.”

Crilly and Seán Mac D like this.
  18. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Sorry Cal son. But don’t try and feed us this pish man.

I * love this boy to bits but our media training is disgusting sometimes. You can’t get a genuine word out any of them.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony