1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronny Deila

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by MickeyyMack, May 19, 2020.

Discuss Ronny Deila in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Could not find a thread , if one is out there please merge cheers.

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. Maestro 08

Doing a really good job at Liege now, some turn around from last season. Was too soon for him here when he got the job but he's definitely proven to be a talented manager and he did some really good things here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a top job and who knows he might end up back here one day. Really likeable guy as well.

3. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

He had one of the poorest Celtic squads I’ve ever seen.

Done ok, was robbed of a treble. The Malmo game absolutely killed him, and the Huns game at Hampden was the final nail in the coffin.

Wasn’t helped at all by the so called senior pros, most of whom were binned instantly when Rodgers came in.

Seems a nice guy and played a role in the development of a lot of players. Played an underrated role in the transition between Lennon and Rodgers.

4. Jeffrey

Agree with the point about the players he inherited.

Commons
    Stokes
    Mulgrew
    Griffiths

These sort of players would have laughed his ideas out the door. I’m sure they revolted when the canteen stopped serving pie n beans.

Creativecelt likes this.
  5. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    I thought the senior pro’s at the time were a disgrace, commons, stokes etc

6. cammy07

Was never the right time for him to be Celtic manager but I really liked him and glad he’s went on to have a good career after leaving. Had he come in as assistant to an experienced manager then who knows how things could have turned out.

Robbed of a treble by blatant cheating and was provided with one of the worst squads we’ve had in a long time but unfortunately he knew his place with the board so he wasn’t really in a position to do much about it. The so called senior players in the squad were also an utter disgrace. Still makes me happy Commons didn’t even get so much as a second on the park in our invincible season and was shipped out the door by the time we’d won the league.

Unlike Lennon he at least knew when his time was up and went of his own accord before too much long term damage was done. He also never has a bad word to say about Celtic and will always be remembered fondly by most.

7. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Tbf, griffiths literally dragged us to a title in Delia's second season.

8. Jeffrey

Nah your right Griffiths was brilliant under him. But I don’t think the core of players were the best for his overall influence at the club

9. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Not many people know this but Ronny was once punched by a monkey while on holiday in Ibiza.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Collins wasn't a good fit for him at all in my eyes.

Would take him back in a couple years after Ange.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

11. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ronny was a good guy, but not cut out to be a Celtic manager, no shame in that, it's happened before.
    I will always like him though. And I agree, Collins was a bad fit for him as No.2.

Peej likes this.
  12. James Gold Member Gold Member

He was hampered by the board choosing his assistant but at the same time I don't think he was great for us for the most part the football was * and most of the players didn't rate his methods Brown , Commons and Mulgrew most notably.

13. Mr. Slippyfist

Spoke to someone who worked on his coaching team when he was at Celtic - said Deila was a lovely guy but things went downhill when he brought in that man and woman team onto the fitness side of things.

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Mr. Slippyfist

Whoever sanctioned the signings of Kazim-Richards and Carlton Cole should have been hung, drawn and quartered.

James Mc, HoopyT, Peej and 1 other person like this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That would be none other than our shiny new chairman

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

James Mc and FrankMcCallum like this.
  16. celtic warrior

Definitely a victim of the times we lived in.

Especially as despite the rest of the league seeing increased revenues, the media and our board quite obviously still held the view that our profitability was heavily linked to sevco.

I do wonder what could've have been with Ronnie sometimes. But then I think we'd have never experienced the domestic success we saw under Rodgers...nor perhaps would we have had to endure Lennons return only to see how glorious leader Ange come in and give us hope of the unthinkable.

17. celtic20

It's weird because when I see his name it's instantly linked with negativity and him being a failure here. But he still won 2 league titles and a league cup during his time here. There have been certain managers in Scotland who've won a lot less yet left hailed as heroes.

Not as bad as he was made out to be, but can't really call the appointment a success either. No surprise to me that he's thriving in a less pressurised environment.

neilly1987 likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, so have I, got told he was totally beholden to their ideas and they were psuedo-scientific crackpots that had no * clue. Could see it as well, Ronny’s team was one of the unfittest I’ve ever seen for us. And it wasn’t just us that he was like that with, mind the Molde manager pointing out after a couple of late goals that ‘everybody knows’ Ronny Deila teams can’t last 90 minutes.

19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We'd have still won the titles with him the following two seasons imo, as the huns were atrocious and came third both, but there wouldn't have been any pumpings of said huns and I don't think we'd win any trebles under him.

Delighted to hear he's doing well either way, some guy is Ronny.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Did he no have the team on some crackpot diet. Keta or something. Good for folk needing to lose weight quickly but not for elite athletes