1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping their 10... were you scared?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by AwesomeCaz, May 9, 2020.

Discuss Stopping their 10... were you scared? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Was too young to really understand the significance of it, but I do remember celebrating it a lot as it was the first time I’d seen us win it.

2. Aidan O’Shea

27/28 :/

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Forget a lot of thing's as a kid but was 11 and remember most of the day and weekend well..

One of the best feelings I've ever experienced at football..

Got snuck in the ground by an uncle with my other uncle. Sat in about 3 different parts of the North stand, on the steps by the executive seats then upper tier second half was 2 to a seat and rocking. On the pitch after with my cousin. Back to my uncle's pub huddles outside with Huns raging driving up the pavements to get by. Street parties in Royston the next day..

You couldn't forget a weekend like that whether you were 5 or 75..

My cousin stuck something up the other day if I can do it I'll post it up..

4. StevieBhoooy!

Still one of the most important (if not THE) days in my Celtic memory bank.

I was studying in England and in the house garden 300 miles south at the time and probably the only person interested for miles around... had to take myself away from anyone else as they just couldn’t grasp the importance of my growing nerves... so... in the gArden listening on radio... can still remember the nerves ... shaking with it..

When the whistle went and it was clear we’d done it was the biggest sense of relief I’ve ever experienced. That’s how important it was..

I then spent about 15 minutes just running round the garden screaming and cheering...

every neighbour around probably thought I’d lost the plot.

When I remember how important it was it puts a smile on my face that we did it.. even more so when you can appreciate the anguish the huns must be going through as we approach the milestone that they couldn’t do.

Imagine the polarity of our elations and their disappointment when it happens?!?

Magic

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  5. StevieBhoooy!

Just remembered the Celtic fans singing ‘one in a row’ at full time.... I was singing along on my own like a loony.

King of Kings likes this.
  6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’m not sure scared was the right word, but I knew that season was especially important, despite being young at the time.

I had pretty much only ever seen rangers dominate when growing up. They had done so to the extent that it was simply an expectation. What’s interesting is that our own most recent (pending) 9IAR has been far more dominant that theres. It’s nice to know they’ll be enjoying that same feeling of inevitability that Celtic fans once faced during their financially doped successful years.

I can remember telling my mates that I didn’t care what happened in the seasons after that particular one - they could win the next 8 for all I cared. All that mattered was stopping the 10. Of course that feeing doesn’t last, you want to win the next one again inevitably, but the idea that that season was everything was definitely there.

Things didn’t really change dramatically until MON arrived imo. That’s then we really went from defiant underdogs to realising our full potential and beginning to dominate domestically. I was expecting to beat rangers (RIP) rather than hoping to do so.

7. nudge1086 Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke,Lubo,Petrov,lambo,Hooper,Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Remember going into the game nervous as I can remember only being 12 at the time and I think Tom Boyd's celebration at the final whistle was pretty much how I felt:36::62::party048::party22::party22:

8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Yep, very it was a nightmare watching them hit title after title, and I was a season ticket holder for a good part of that, as well as being a regular to games pre-hampden.

I don't feel it was my most enjoyable, but probably most important to date.

That team was brilliant for us, just bizarrely thought about CHs after thinking of VVD and couldn't remember that big Rieper was that season, what a CH debut season that was, we were getting him just at the right time and a toe injury * him.

Yeah that day was total relief.

9. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    The weird thing was we had a better side the two seasons before and I'm pretty sure a better points tally, I think we were a bit lucky cos they chucked it away a bit, but given some of the times they mugged us the two seasons before who gave a *?

Still irks me a bit that we never won it the week before at Dunfermline though .. that day was just perfect and I was so looking forward to the pitch invasion, then we lost such a pishy goal. I found the St Johnstone game a bit of an anti climax personally, although was obviously happy to win.

As for the 3 amigos, Pierre and Di Canio would 100% have enhanced us that season, for me Cadete was over rated. Never once delivered in a big game - huns or Europe.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Teams win titles mate not individuals, I enjoyed every minute watching the three amigos, but the side that stopped the 10 were more of a complete side imo. The stars aligned so to speak and the rest is history.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Whit? The final whistle was the release of a decade of frustration.

Couldn’t have been further from an anticlimax.

Garrymac1888 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    One of the best feelings I’ve ever had in my life, relief joy elation the whole shibang! :celt_2:

Garrymac1888 and PaulM1888 like this.
  13. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    A get ye mate .. I just think the week before would have been epic.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  14. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Yeah know where you are coming from, I think we were a bit more switched on tactically that season and knew how to grind out a result.

I wonder though if we had gave Tommy Burns a new contract and kept big Pierre and Di Canio, would we have romped it that season, because they were on the road out.

Having said that .. if we hadn't brought in Jansen, we never would have had Larsson.

That's a horrible thought.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    You have answered your own question. :50:

16. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    If we had kept Di Canio and Pierre though and never had Larsson that season, you think we still woulda won it?

I do and a think we would have left them for dead - never know I guess.

Eternally grateful for the King of Kings obviously though and that title.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Sorry to * in, but for me naw. The Celtic team won the league that season. Not any individuals and that is what was needed to stop the DOBs imo.

I loved watching those three, however they didn't really bring much to Celtic in terms of trophies and looking at what they went onto after leaving Celtic I think they would have probably done more harm than good in the dressing room.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  18. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Aye the 3 of them were mental *.

19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Nope!

20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member