1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping their 10... were you scared?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by AwesomeCaz, May 9, 2020.

Discuss Stopping their 10... were you scared? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    For people who went most or all weeks in that fabled season, were you genuinely scared Celtic would * it, given we had a poor start to the season?

We all know about Larsson’s start but how quickly did he become integral? Would we have won without him?

I’m not bogged down in any ‘tainted’ talk, but I don’t feel Celtic clinching the ten can be more emotional than stopping their in 97/98. Maybe as it’s been a smoother ride and winning is much easier than losing! What do you think?

Also, as a side issue, would the ‘3 amigos’ all be legends if they’d stayed that extra year? Even controversial Di Canio?

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    22 years ago tonight I got * as a young guy for the first time. I had a euphoric feeling like nothing else before.

went to MacConnells before the game for the bus, on way to match seen chic charnley walking towards the ground along the gallowgate people giving him dogs abuse for that goal (all in good jest nothing serious) got into the ground. Turnstile 6 section 101 row R seat 5 the place to be. Guy next to me was a londoner “big Murray” size of a * house he lost his book on way to match he only came up few games a season. Finally he gets in as the st Johnstone goalie kicks it upfield back to Celtic passed to Larsson and BOOM! Big Murray nearly * crushed me!

then full 2nd half great uncle next to me his 68th birthday brought the full family up to support Celtic his leg trembling (he had serious heart issues too) then bang ball up the line Jackie onto it across to brattbakk and the relief was unreal delirium doesn’t subscribe it, relief, euphoria * knows what it was but we done it grown men on their knees crying, until that day it was celtic my team on that day I realised what it was to be a Celtic supporter what it meant to everyone and that hasn’t left me on this day what would have been my great uncles 90th birthday he died doing what he loved the most watching celtic (vs Boavista in 2003)!!!

On that day a wee curly haired Dutchman who resembled a guy out Eastenders done what he had to do! He rode off into the sunset and will never be forgotten you seen what it meant to everyone as we went through the garngad on the bus on the way back could barely move. Got back to pub thought right am going up road got bundle in like the rest of the young ones who where about 14-16 but that day age didn’t matter, got *, we all got * no matter the age! It was unreal unlike anything. People partied for days some for a week or more!

22 years on it was still the biggest day in most of our Celtic lives. 23 years on I hope we are all here to see us do our own 10 we haven’t bought any titles nor have we been gifted any titles WE HAVE WON TITLES!

For me wee Wim, you should be the man to present us with the tenth title as much as we owe a lot to the bunnet the little know Dutchman who now resembles Father Jack place in our history should never be forgotten!

Hail Hail & Godbless!

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Little know fact Larsson and di Canio played 1 match for Celtic a pre-season friendly!

yeah they could have been greatly remembered but not legends!

4. Onefootwonder

I remember the pressure being huge. Larsson was ripped to bits and written off after Hibs.

I wasn't sure we'd do it, but the relief was huge. Under the pressure it was an ever greater achievement.

We didn't have a Coronavirus situation to try and stop the inevitable.

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think I expected Rangers to do it. I was 13 and all I knew was Rangers dominance. I didn't realise how important stopping the 10 was until we did it. Their ream had bigger names in it than ours but our team did it, in style. I don't think I was scared just more disappointed that Celtic hadn't done it. It felt somewhat more of a relief than anything as beating the 10 would be the record for at least another 11 years if Celtic suddenly started dominating.
    I think we have won 14 titles since that, 15 this season. I never thought that would happen.

6. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Scared is not really the correct term here

Were you worried you would have to listen to these * bumping their gums for ever more ?

Put me doon for that wan

7. alex_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys Of The Old Brigade
    Was still pretty young at the time but remember the Liverpool draw, albeit disappointing losing the late goal, was a big confidence boost after a shaky start to the season. Showed the team could compete at a high level and things seemed to kick on from there.

In a funny way I'm not sure having the 3 amigos would have helped that season, the whole squad was made up on 'non-stars' (at that time) and I wonder if that contributed to a better dressing room etc.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I can vividly remember the tangible nerves from leaving the house to the supporters bus, to walking to the ground to sitting waiting on kick off as if it were yesterday.

Was only 14 at the time as well and took my disabled neighbour to the games on the bus. * was twitching like a rabbits nose, all I’d ever known was Celtic being also rans in the league and the feeling of euphoria at the final whistle was like nothing I’d ever felt before.

9. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Was only 12 at the time and vividly remember finding out the score at the chapel with my wee granny. Was too young to realise the significance of stopping their ten then, all I knew was it was the first title Celtic had won in my time of following them :party048::party048:

10. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Also roundabout the same age , was 15 at the time and first time proper * aswell , canny remember now if it was my bro or one of his mates got us some Cider to celebrate , always remember falling and cutting my hand open (got a small scar as a reminder of stopping the 10)

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, * masel

Craig Faulconbridge helped make it a million times worse

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  12. murphy88

I was only 7 at the time. Remember running on the park at the end with my cousin, getting lost and then my uncle coming over and getting me as I was talking to a steward. Still have the bit of turf that I somehow thought to take wrapped up.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Was only 9 at the time so didn't fully understand the gravity of the situation. I can't say I remember it being dead nervy at the game, truthfully I don't remember too much of the match other than the goals.

We were sat in near the away section so I had a brilliant view of Larsson curling in the opener.

I still have my 'Champions' flag that I bought that day, along with the program, season book and wee green book from that season.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I remember being stunned by the draw at Dunfermline the week before.

Was 24 in my prime, what a party..

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  15. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I was at East End Park that day, it was mobbed and some day. But always good to win it at home.

Marty McFly likes this.
  16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They showed that live on cooncil telly that day, remember watching it in the house and we definitely didn't gave sky or cable at the time.

Still terracing at Dunfermline then I'm sure too? Def over capacity.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. Aidan O’Shea

Thought you were ages with me for some reason!

18. Aidan O’Shea

Think I read recently that 10,000 Celtic fans descended on Fife that day. I’d say it was more.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    There was Celtic fans in most ends of the ground, and yeah still the old terracing and turnstiles you could jump over. :84:

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Mid-twenties?