1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Virgil van Dijk

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by DutchCelticFan, Jun 21, 2013.

Discuss Virgil van Dijk in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

That is just ridiculous money, in todays market he’s a bargain but still just stupid money.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic boss Neil Lennon is a "special manager and special man," says Virgil van Dijk, whom he helped develop into one of the world's finest defenders.

The Dutchman was a raw 21-year-old full of potential when Lennon took him from FC Groningen to Celtic in 2013.

The Liverpool centre-back's rise since has been startling - but he believes it would not have been possible without Lennon.

"I enjoyed every bit of working under him," Van Dijk told BBC Scotland.

The Champions League-winner added: "I appreciate all the people who have helped me in my career and got me where I am today.

"He brought me to Celtic so I'll always be grateful to him for that. He has been part of my journey so far. He was good.

"Obviously he was a player himself - he knows how we think, what we go through. As a manager he's very direct, he tells you straight what is right and wrong. He's a special manager and special man."

Van Dijk's transition to British football was seamless, winning two Scottish Premiership titles and a League Cup in his two-year Celtic stay, while quickly building a reputation as a talent destined for big things.

He left for Southampton in a £13m deal in 2015 and became the world's most expensive defender when joining Liverpool for £75m in January 2018.

The Netherlands international, though, retains a keen interest in Celtic and is convinced his former club will be celebrating a ninth successive title in May.

"I still watch Celtic games," he added. "I have friends there - I'm still in contact with Nir Bitton - and I always keep an eye on how things are going.

"It's 10 points' difference now so it's not going to be in danger any more - it is Celtic's title."

4. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Virgil van Dijk fights Celtic's corner as Liverpool hero raves about key Scottish Premiership aspect
    The 28-year-old is regarded by many as the finest defender in the world and his skills were sharpened in Glasgow's east end.

• BY GRAEME YOUNG
    • 13:46, 11 MAY 2020
    [​IMG]
    Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk believes Scottish football's snipers are way off and has praised Celtic for bringing out his ruthless streak.

The 28-year-old is regarded by many as the finest defender in the world and enhanced his reputation during two eye-catching seasons in Glasgow between 2013 and 2015.

Van Dijk continued his upward trajectory at Southampton before the Reds splashed out £75m for his services in January 2018.

It was an inspired move that has reaped rewards for both player and club but the Dutch international insists his time in the Scotland remains pivotal.

And he had kind words for his former team, the pressure to perform and the trophy factor that continues to motivate him.

Speaking to Sky Sports, van Dijk said: "Moving to Celtic was a little bit similar to the step I took from Willem II to Groningen. Willem II is in the south of Holland, Groningen is in the north, so (moving to Celtic) was a totally different environment with a different language.

[​IMG]
    "Celtic is a massive club - people still underestimate how big it is - with European football and I spent two fantastic seasons there. I learned a lot about football and life. The European nights were outstanding, I learned a lot about how to deal with certain strikers.

"Then there's the Scottish Premiership. It isn't the hardest in the world but it's a league where everyone expects you to win and that was something new for me to deal with because Willem II and Groningen were never teams people expected to win."

And van Dijk also believes that his time in Glasgow helped forge him into a champion long before he lifted last season's Champions League trophy.

[​IMG]

The Liverpool defender earned two Premiership titles and a League Cup during his time in green and white.

He added: "Winning championships was something I hadn't experienced before at a young age and it (moving to Celtic) made me a winner. It was very important for my development to go there."

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2020
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. celtic warrior

Can't believe in this day an age of modern football we managed to sign him and he was ours for the length that he was.

lazyregula and Liam Scales like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

video of the interview here
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...enders-appetite-for-success-greater-than-ever

Virgil van Dijk's meteoric rise has seen him secure a Champions League winners' medal and acclaim as European football's best defender, but the Liverpool defender is adamant this is just the start of his journey.

From his self-professed struggles in the lower reaches of the Eredivisie, his development from a boy into a man, to getting a taste for trophies in Scotland that culminated in bringing the biggest prize back to Merseyside, each step has proved crucial in moulding the Dutchman into the player he is today.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports pundit Jamie Redknapp for The Football Show, Van Dijk reflects on each milestone of his career and how they have ensured his quest to be the best burns as strong as ever...

I wasn't good enough at all'

I played in the academy of Willem II for 10 years. There was a period at Willem II when I was around 16 that I was on the verge of not going through to the next year of the academy. I was not good enough at all, I was on the bench a lot.

In the summer I had a growth spurt and after that everything went really well. I had an injury in my groin because I was growing so much, but after that I made big steps.

Negativity never considered
    I was playing regularly, captained the U18s and at that time I was disappointed not to make my first-team debut for Willem II. Unfortunately, I couldn't make my debut there because of decisions that were made at the time.

I moved to Groningen and that was a fantastic step for me to develop as a player and also going from a boy into a man. I lived on my own for the first time, I enjoyed it a lot and the club had a couple of good seasons. The most important thing at that time was to develop.

I've never had the feeling that I had a point to prove. When I arrived at Groningen, we were living in an apartment block where other players lived, and I remember during pre-season everyone went to the first team and I was the only in our little group that went to the U23s.

I had a feeling that I needed to work harder because I wanted to make my debut as soon as possible. I didn't have my driving licence at the time, so I had to take the bike every day. It was tough but all these smalls things that happened have made me who I am today. I appreciate everything that is happening today.

I really don't care if people are negative about me, I don't care about certain opinions that could take you down if you think about them too much.

Winning mentality nurtured at Celtic

Moving to Celtic was a little bit similar to the step I took from Willem II to Groningen. Willem II is in the south of Holland, Groningen is in the north, so [moving to Celtic] was a totally different environment with a different language.

Celtic is a massive club - people still underestimate how big it is - with European football and I spent two fantastic seasons there. I learned a lot about football and life. The European nights were outstanding, I learned a lot about how to deal with certain strikers.

Then there's the Scottish Premiership. It isn't the hardest in the world but it's a league where everyone expects you to win and that was something new for me to deal with because Willem II and Groningen were never teams people expected to win.

Winning championships was something I hadn't experienced before at a young age and it [moving to Celtic] made me a winner. It was very important for my development to go there.

Koeman key to Southampton switch

The main reason [I joined Southampton] was Ronald Koeman. I knew players that were there, Dusan Tadic, Jordy Clasie, Graziano Pelle. We had a fantastic team at the time, and I think we had a record-breaking season in my first year there.

I envisaged going there with all of these goals to achieve and my first season especially was outstanding. Southampton have been very good for me.

Surreal signing for Liverpool

It was surreal for me to have to make a decision [between Liverpool and other top clubs] where to go to at the time. The instant feeling was there with Liverpool and they ticked most of my boxes.

When I went to Celtic I didn't realise how big they were at the time, but I had a feeling before I joined Liverpool how big Liverpool really were.

You see all their games, I'd played there two times before I joined them, and over the course of time before I signed, I met so many people, Liverpool fans, that would say, 'I hope you sign for us'.

It was special, and when things got finalised and you start playing, my debut against Everton was something I will never forget.

How things went in the end; starting in the winter, reaching the Champions League final, the disappointment of losing it but then winning it the year after, coming very close to winning the Premier League and obviously now we are in a very fortunate position to hopefully get it over the line when things start moving again. We are making big progress as a team and I have definitely made big progress myself.

Kings of Europe

Winning the Champions League was surreal. I slept only one hour after, then we went straight back to Liverpool after that and then we went on the parade. I couldn't keep my eyes open; I was so tired, but it was an unbelievable night, something I will never forget.

It was just incredible, from start to finish, it's something we all want to experience again, whether it's in the Premier League or next season in the Champions League. We will try and go again. Hopefully we can experience something similar in the future.

'I'm not finished yet'
    It's been a good road so far that I have taken to where I am today, everything happens for a reason. I have come from hard work and a lot of dedication and that is something I am very proud of.

It's something that should inspire a lot of young players that are out there that don't have the attributes of those who have been playing at the highest level since they were 16.

There is another way to winning the Champions League. I am very proud of my journey so far and it has not finished yet.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

probably right because we’re covered for central defenders at the moment.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hes an amazing player but I never warmed to him when he was at celtic like I have with other players. Probably because I knew he wouldn't be about for long. He always praises his time at Celtic tbf

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Developed so quickly that he was gone so fast, he's exceeded those players, but for me wouldn't be putting him in my best Celtic XI, but he's probably went on further than even I thought he could.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I bought four season tickets for the coming season. I help with this
    @fcgroningen
    in this difficult time. The season tickets are ultimately raffled among FC fans who cannot purchase one themselves

bobs1974 and packybhoy like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    :rofl: in my drunken fathers day stouper I thought we'd got him back.

I was absolutely buzzing there for a minute.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Pleased for him.

NomDePlum and jj81 like this.
  18. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Should never of left us, went for the money, should of been here for the 10, never a Celtic man. Gonna slaughter him when i interview him in 6 year.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member