1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Will you sign up for the Covid-19 contact tracing app?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Seán Mac D, May 4, 2020.

Discuss Will you sign up for the Covid-19 contact tracing app? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The Isle of Wight is to be the trial site to test the effectiveness of a Covid-19 contact tracing app, which is to be voluntary but experts say will require at least a 50% uptake in order to have any impact.

China, South Korea and Singapore have all implemented systems with varying success, Singapore however did not make it mandatory to download the app and seen only 12% of the population download it.

Civil liberty groups are being extremely cautious on their support of such systems. With Governmental surveillance a hot topic following the NSA/GCHQ leaks and the Cambridge Analytica scandal people may question if such technology will always be used for good purposes such as the tracing of infectious diseases.

Will you download the Covid-19 contact tracing app, if it is rolled out nationally?

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Don’t see the point. Without sounding like a tinfoil hat, the government has enough * tracking devices fitted to us all.

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    How exactly does this work and in what way will it be helpful in the fight against the virus ?

4. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Is it like tinder ?

Keano88, seamus1967 and Seán Mac D like this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Swipe left for negative.

Right for positive.

Cena likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

seamus1967 and The Prof like this.
  7. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Yes.... it's to help in the breaking the cycle of the virus.
    It's not designed to track you, it's designed to track who's came into contact with people with the virus so we can help stop or slow down the spread.
    And if anyone thinks this is just an excuse for big brother to watch your every move, remember they can do that without this app when you turn on your phone

GAA_Celtic and seamus1967 like this.
  8. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    [​IMG]absolutely , day I buy a phone … which will be never .

9. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    :50: and we authorise it.

10. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Well that's the thing, you authorize you self, anybody who doesn't want to do it doesn't need to sign up for it.
    Anyway, the chances of it working is slim.

11. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    I wouldn't worry about it to much.
    Your probably under surveillance already. :cool:

12. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Yes and would prefer that it was made mandatory. It won’t be released without fully conforming with existing data protection and human rights laws.

It also won’t be any more intrusive than existing technologies and Apps widely used by everyone with a smart speaker, smart telly, smart phone or indeed those who don’t but go out in any public space with CCTV I.e. Just about 100% of the population.

Stick that in yer tin foil hats and smoke it.

14. angusceltic67

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree much more on this Paul.

There's no reason to assume it wouldn't contravene data and human rights laws given that they've already shown they will breach them if it suits: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-violated-human-rights-strasbourg-court-rules

Snowden summed it up very well in his piece with VICE recently. The use and collection of this data may be benevolent now but there are no guarantees that will always be the case.

Also just because data is already being harvested on a mass scale by both big Tech and Governmental overreach shouldn't give them licence to do a little more if they want to without express consent. I think we should be massively rolling those powers back not willingly giving up more.

I won't be downloading any contact app, even if it's made mandatory.

16. Bozza

Fav Celtic Player:
    K T
    Yes!! As said before, if they want to spy on you then they'll already be doing that by other means or apps. But let's face it. Were not in the SAS or a 007 agent. Where do most of us go. Work, the pub, home for a ride at the wife, work , shopping, back to the pub.
    If the government are wasting taxpayer money by tracing my movements then they are well off the * mark!!

PaulM1888 likes this.
  17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There’s a global pandemic currently ongoing which is wiping out generations of families, if a tracing App is deemed to be a powerful tool (which I believe it would be) in even saving a single life then who am I to take a moral standpoint against it knowing full well that even if it were to be used to track my movements it means absolutely * all to me in real terms.

Your telly listens to you, your smart speaker listens to you, your phone listens to you, my pictures on my phone are databased by default by items within them. HikVision and Dahua cameras are over the length and breadth of the country (picked those 2 purely because it’s known, there will be plenty others) they’re part owned by foreign governments who have known access to the feeds.

I get the argument about civil liberties entirely but I won’t be wasting a single bit of time fighting against something which has been innovated to save people’s lives. And I’d urge others to do the same. It’s really not the time for it.

Bozza likes this.
  18. ScottBhoy+

Imagine you left your phone at home the day you got too close to someone.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Saving lives is a valiant and worthwhile goal but I don't think that means the government has a mandate to do anything to secure that. That's a very, very, slippery slope.

Snowden articulates it much better than I could:

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It always amazes me that people are so willing to consent to their privacy being invaded because they've "got nothing to hide" or "aren't 007".

Here's an example of what China is doing with their surveillance state and data, creating a Social Credit score which is impacted by things they have arbitrarily decided are good and bad (there was a Black Mirror episode on this but sadly it is now a dystopian reality)