1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Forrest or mcgeady

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by scotsbhoy1, Apr 23, 2020.

Discuss Forrest or mcgeady in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As much as I rated McGeady, and I underrated Forrest at one point, if both were going into a cup final tomorrow, I'd go with Forrest.

Can't believe I'm saying that, but I am.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    McGeady was brilliant entertainment with the skills but he never really had the mentality or the game sense to back it up. He looked like he was going to be an amazing player when he broke into the team at Celtic but I'd say his career has been a disappointment since then.

His years spent at Spartak and Everton were poor and his career just kind of stalled while he never really stood out stood out or made a name for himself. He found his comfort zone in the Championship where he finally got some regular football and scored a few goals but it was a bit too little too late for a player who Martin O'Neill once compared to Ronaldinho.

Forrest on the other hand has been instrumental in one of the most dominant periods in Celtic's history, after pulling himself back from the brink when a huge number of the fans wanted him out.

I'd compare the two players in terms of how I'd describe them to young players just starting out in the game. McGeady is a cautionary tale, don't start to believe in your own hype or you might get too big for your boots, and end up looking back at the end of your career wondering what might have been. Whereas Forrest would be a much better role model in terms of hard work and a good mentality earning you a cupboard full of medals and potential club legends status.

Spring Time and PaulM1888 like this.
  3. murphy88

I would love to get the same Forrest for the next 3 years as we have had for the past few seasons. I just don't see it but Forrest has priced me wrong in the past so hopefully he does again.

4. murphy88

I think that is harsh on McGeady. He was a quality player who left us for a big fee and pretty much funded all of Neil Lennon's team first time round. He went to Spartak where in all honesty I couldn't say with any certainty how good or bad he was because I didn't watch Russian football. Perhaps you did? All I know is that he was linked heavily with big money moves to Zenit and Anzhi when they were throwing money about but Spartak didn't want to sell him. McGeady left us at the age of 24 for £9m. At the age of 24, James Forrest was half he player McGeady was and very lucky not to be shipped out.

5. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Every single person who comes into this thread to back up McGeady lists his transfer fee as one of his crowning achievements.

Says it all really.

6. murphy88

His fee was a massive thing for us as a club. It allowed us to build a new squad under Lennon. If we didn't have such a poor squad the year previous then we maybe wouldn't have been forced to sell him.

Did you watch a lot of Russian football? You were the one claiming his years at Spartak were poor. I'm just curious as to know how you come to this conclusion as Russian football wasn't the easiest to watch then, or now for that matter.

7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Forrest easily.

His game intelligence is so underrated. So good at getting the ball under pressure and keeping possession.

Forrest’s achievements are already insane and he’s 28. By the time his careers over * knows what he will have achieved here.

8. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    It's bizarre that you think you're not able to know how a football player got on because they played in Russia. In 2012. When football streams were 10 a penny.

Even weirder that despite it being so difficult for you to watch a top flight Russian football match you were somehow privy to the transfer negotiations of Zenit and Anzhi Maklhaklahlkalaha.

If McGeady done so well at Spartak that they didn't want to sell him, then why did he only play in around half of their games while he was there - before they sold him. At a loss.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  9. murphy88

Did you watch much of him in Russia though? That's the question. I'll be honest, once players leave Celtic I couldn't really care less how they get on. You don't have to watch Russian football to know the transfer goings on though. I wasn't the one claiming how well or bad he got on in Russia though. You said he was poor, I simply said who had been linked with in that time. You must know more than me though as it seems you watched Russian football at that time. Streams being 10 a penny n all that.

10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Didn't realise you had to watch every match someone played in to have an opinion on him. I'll take your word for it that he had a brilliant time at Spartak.

Wikipedia says that he was voted one of the top 33 players in Russia in 2012. I'm sure that has pride of place in his trophy cabinet next to the Big Transfer Fee cup.

11. Mince.Charming

McGeady for me.

I think a lot of fans negative opinions come from him being a bit of *, especially in his younger days.
    He's not the most likeable of characters.

He was one of our best players every season he was here, against a lot better competition.

12. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Forrest by a long way. Completely different players also. Forrest is far more direct and effective. McGeady was more of a GMS type full of tricks with poor end product.

Forrest also has that engine to play wing back in his locker.

13. Paul McAuley

Mcgeadys end product was * abysmal. Can do all the dancing all you want but there’s no use beating a man twice with no end product.

Forrests stats say it all.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

:celtman2:

15. murphy88

I didn't say he had a brilliant time at Spartak. As I already said, I didn't watch any of him so I can't say either way. You were the only one claiming to know how he did in Russia but don't seem to have watched any of him to form that opinion. It certainly helps to watch someone play to have an opinion on them. He won enough in his time with us to fill up the trophy cabinet, just a pity we didn't get to see him in prime after having to be sold to fund a squad overhaul.

16. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Okay so you claim you have no idea how his career went after he left us, but you've quoted me three times to say I'm wrong that his career after he left us was disappointing. Good one mate.

If only there was some way to view the stats on a player's football career.

Guess we'll never know...

17. murphy88

I told you who he had been linked with whilst at Spartak. I haven't once said you were wrong, I was just wanting to know how you reached that conclusion. I didn't say how well he had done. It was you that claimed he was poor in Russia. So I asked how much you had watched of him to back that up. If you had said you had seen him play regularly I would have had to take your word on it, because as I've said a few times, I seen nothing of him apart from when he played against us. It is becoming pretty clear that you seen as much of him as me though, but you have been able to form an opinion of how poor he was. Strange that.

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

James can defend as well.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A lot of pish.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I voted Forrest but a lot of the comments against McGeady and his overall ability are well wide of the mark in my opinion.