1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye and look what that auld cow did to Scotland!

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sorry but that comes across very Nanny state.

You can't stop football because someone might take a cargo round their pals.

They need to be careful about the messages they put out at this point, things like this will make people rebel against advice if they start trying to treat people like weans.

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Csnt go round your pals to watch the football? Exactly. Get tae *.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's not the advice I am against. I'm fully on board with that.

It's the assumption that you will break it, therefore can't be trusted....so we'll just not have it.

The powers have been handed to the Police to enforce people breaching the rules. Let them do their job if people are charging round with cargos and endangering people.

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yip they will rebel 100% my mrs pal made a good point. My mate took his wife and kid with him to get fuel and they decided to go the long way rather than coming straight back they went a drive out the back road and in the long way they where out for 45 mins and he said are what they done worse than going for a walk along a park or the canal? They are in their own car, no contact but out a drive in a brand new car but he risks this £30 fine to be paid in TWO DAYS or it doubles!

6. joemc

Mate imo I think it's the possibility of an accident while driving which brings the need for emergency services being taken up by this rather than concentrating on dealing with this virus .
    I feel this is becoming a crucial point in the battle though , when we start entering warmer weather ,try stopping people going out to the beach or parks ,its virtually impossible ,the longer this continues the more complacent people become by nature .
    Life is risk and taking risks and yes people will not be told ,so by being nanny state it will drive people to do the opposite ,breaking rules is is living tbh challenging boundaries set by others ,its so difficult to find the balance in the approach ,but I will say sturgeon is the type to overdo than find the balance like we seen with the offensive behaviour act .

greengrocer and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  7. StevieBhoooy!

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I actually think the advice from Sturgeon is sound. To be honest in a months time having a mate round probably won't be a problem but it's if people invite loads of mates round then it starts to become a problem. However I think most people don't use their common sense, I went to the park the other day and it was rammed (nice day) I just left as soon as I got in. Walked around the quiet residential area which has 2 people living in 4 bedroom houses so nobody about. As soon as pubs are back open the 1st night you won't be able to fart as it will be packed.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It isn’t Sturgeons advice, she is just the one delivering it.

She stated clearly it’s come from the CMO.

11. murphy88

If you aren't allowed to go to your mates and a few of you watch a game of football, then that game of football should not be going ahead in the first place. 5 or 6 people watching a game or roughly 50 people involved in the game that's being played.

12. TheHappyLoss

Football is cunted

13. Jeremie Frimpong

That assumption is correct for a sizeable minority of our population.

I have seen countless examples of people flouting the rules during a strict lockdown; if the government eases restrictions even a little before we have a viable exit strategy, it could be catastrophic.

The government has to legislate for the idiots.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Get the Police to enforce the existing legislation to crackdown on it then.

If policy is being steered on the assumed flouting of the minority then you could extend that to so many other things.

People are getting their pals around for BBQs in the nice weather, why not stop shops selling BBQs in shops to cut down on that?

If it is deemed safe (within a reasonable degree) for footballers to play behind closed doors and they're happy to do it, then Sturgeon/CMO/SNP shouldn't be taking arbitrary decisions to stop it. Doing that denies those footballers the right to earn a living and clubs go under because of it.

To me that is Nanny State policy gone mad....and I vote SNP.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. Jeremie Frimpong

If people refuse to adhere strictly to these measures, the virus will rip through our communities.

If you make an exception and have a couple of friends around, they have a couple of friends around, and so on, the number of infections increases exponentially.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

UEFA opened the door to crowning Celtic as Premiership champions, as they backed off their hardline stance.

The European governing body had previously warned that top flight leagues that didn't play to completion could see their teams banned from European competition.

An SPFL resolution gave the board the power to end the Premiership early, but any decision would have to be approved by UEFA.

Now the Nyon chiefs have confirmed "special cases will be heard", while still advising that leagues are played to a finish if possible.

A statement said: " UEFA today met its 55 member associations via videoconference and presented an update of the options being looked into by the two working groups that were created mid-March.

"A variety of calendar options were presented covering both national team and club competition matches.

"The funding of National Associations through UEFA’s HatTrick programme was also discussed with UEFA reiterating its commitment to meeting the payments to member associations as planned.

There was a strong recommendation given to finish domestic top division and cup competitions, but some special cases will be heard once guidelines concerning participation to European competitions - in case of a cancelled league - have been developed.

"Any decisions on the above topics would be announced after the UEFA Executive Committee on Thursday."

17. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

What happened to UEFA, I thought they were just about to push through a null and void for every top league? That’s why the SPFL were in such a hurry to get their resolution passed. Ahaha...

18. Jeremie Frimpong

The emergency services are already stretched.

If a sizeable minority of the population flouts the rules when the threat posed by the virus is gravest, how will they behave when they (erroneously) perceive the danger to have diminished?

I would rather that they followed strict rules imperfectly than lenient rules imperfectly.

This is a once-in-a-century global health crisis.

Edit: I think that I misread this paragraph.

I would prohibit sales of disposable barbecues if there is evidence that their sale poses a significant risk to public health.

The premature resumption of football games, even behind closed doors, clearly poses a significant risk to public health.

Who is competent to deem it safe? The football authorities?

I am a libertarian: I have no problem with people knowingly and willingly assuming risks to themselves, but this virus poses a threat to the collective, as well as the individual.

We all have a responsibility to protect the most vulnerable people in our society. For me, that takes precedence over individual freedoms for the time being. Until we develop a vaccine, strict social distancing is the most effective tool at our disposal.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
  20. JamesM09

How do we think UEFA will do European places next season assuming qualifying is cut short? Any theories ?