1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

OPERATIONAL STEPS NECESSARY TO RESTART FOOTBALL LATER IN THE YEAR

As previously advised, the training and conditioning of football players at clubs has been suspended until further notice and at least until June 10.

None the less, the Joint Response Group understands that appropriate planning for the resumption of football in Scotland is vitally important. Restarting the game in an orderly fashion will be complex and will likely be done in line with ongoing restrictions by governments and UK Chief Medical Officer advice, even after the relaxation of lockdown.

A proper planning framework is essential to ensure the game is ready to return at the appropriate time, with necessary systems and infrastructure in place.

The Joint Response Group has therefore decided to set-up a number of sub-groups – each chaired by existing members - to get the best advice and identify best practice ahead of the restart of the game in Scotland. Experts and experienced individuals from clubs and other relevant organisations are now invited to work with the Joint Response Group to consider:

1. Medical Advice as it relates to football in Scotland - Chair, Dr John MacLean

2. Supporter Welfare - travel to matches, access to stadia, facilities within stadia, emergencies, unacceptable conduct - Co-chair, Ian Maxwell/Mike Mulraney

3. Club Operations, welfare and training of players, re-opening stadia, health and safety, matchday operations, support from emergency services, facilities for supporters, unacceptable conduct – Co-chair, Mike Mulraney/Ian Maxwell

4. Broadcasting - Chair, Neil Doncaster

5. Regulation - rules, competition rules, player registrations, legislation and other regulations -Chair, Calum Beattie

tarboltontim likes this.
  2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maybe we could finish the season by playing e sports.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    For sure I really don't see much transfer activity involving fees of any kind of decent size. For us it does probably mean we keep Edouard for another season maybe 2 as is anybody really going to pay 30m for him this year I doubt it.

4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    My biggest concern Celtic wise is next season at this point. The more I think about it I just don't see how next season will be played in front of fans. At best maybe a few thousand are let in at some point. But given how much we need the season ticket money how much trouble will even we be in if indeed next season is played behind closed doors or close to that scenario. IMHO I really do not see things getting back to full crowds until at best the start of the season after next when hopefully by then we have a vaccine and or a treatment. But until we have a vaccine and or treatment in place I just do not see how we will be playing games in front of crowds.

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You then offer Celtic Tv on a PPv basis

6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The virus can’t continue if it can’t be passed surely!

7. JamesM09

Yeah it is a concern.

I think if it came to that then financially the club could make some of that money off of PPV streams of home games.

But I do think we’re talking about a strange type of middle ground here where the situation isn’t serious enough to prevent footballers and the staff gathering regularly but is serious enough to prevent matchday crowds.

I’m not sure if that place exists tbh but of course we’re into uncharted territory now.

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The deal with sky then becomes a problem but if I could get all Celtic games for £100 or there was a pay per game option then I would sign up immediately. You could probably charge more.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    True but the only way you can do that with a good degree of certainty is to keep a ban on any kind of mass gatherings. Until there is a vaccine and or a treatment this virus is not going away it seems. The worst number of deaths in the 1918-19 pandemic came in the second wave not the first.
    I am not trying to be all doom and gloom but I just do not see any way we will be watching games with full crowds until there is a vaccine and or a treatment and that is not happening for another year at least hence next season looks like it will have to be played without fans or at best with only a very small number of fans.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sturgeon saying we can’t have behind closed doors for fear of people gathering at each other’s houses.

I know it’s a serious current situation but if she thinks people will social distance indefinitely like that she is wrong.

people will rebel and take their chances 100%

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

In fairness to her she clearly states that info is coming from the CMO.

I’d like to think we’re being a bit more cautious than the UK Government so not to get everyone’s hopes up/stop any sort of premature planning.

I don’t see why games behind closed doors couldn’t take place a couple of months down the line personally. Radical steps need to be taken at some point and thinking outside the box - Scotland isn’t going to sit in the gaff indefinitely twiddling its thumbs for a vaccine.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The problem with playing the games behind closed doors is that everyone involved will be in “camps” similar to the World Cup. There’s a lot more that goes into it than just going and playing the game. Won’t happen.

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just realizing how hollow my life is without football and hurling.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Not the case at all, the Bundesliga clubs are (and have been for weeks) in training and will be playing games within weeks. They’re not locked down in any sort of camp.

16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I would say Germany is being very careless, however their death toll is less than a third of the UK. I would also say it is a bad precedent of saying only travel to work if you must but these guys can gather in mass groups to kick a ball about

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

So are Germany being very careless or not???

Their handling of this is far, far, superior to ours. Which is a by product of having a scientist leading their country as opposed to a scruffy Tory actor with a superiority complex and a hatred for human life.

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The virus is severe no doubt but you have to go with the science I totally agree. The UK and Scottish govt don’t want people stuck in their houses not spending money.

But as I said the economy will eventually overtake the science. The govt will dictate that. They need people to spend. There are billions of pounds needing spent to get us through this and it will be even worse, you can’t keep people locked up indefinitely. Look at Wuhan (we all know something ain’t right with China) but that was 11 weeks and they are returning to going out, meeting up.

They are saying 12 months for a vaccine.

€1bn spain has forecast to lose if they can’t get British tourists back to the county.

€1bn Germany has lost on Oktoberfest alone.

£500m UK stands to lose in it is seaside towns this year.

germany is maybe being careless in your opinion but the economy needs restarted there and ours will eventually also but their testing is far superior to ours.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Economy will run us into spending, sadly but think you can try and encourage spending but limiting people in shops and restaurants. Work restrictions will probably also exist such as encouraging working from home. But your probably right the government will cave into football leagues.

Regards to Tory actors, did any other party have scientists leading their party in the UK? Almost all senior UK politicians seem to be barristers these days with a few with PPE degrees. I think the UK has only ever had one scientist PM and that was Thatcher.

20. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Very true hence radical restructuring of football a coming given clubs who wont survive playing without gates will not survive